Wine

Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

SUPERPOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wine

Forgive me if this has been covered before no doubts it may have been.
I am interested in anyones advice on where to go in and around Javea to taste\buy some wine. (apart of the run of the mill supermarkets)
I believe the jalon region have bodegas as lots of wine is made around there?
I just think that maybe some people have already trodden this path and it may help in saving us some time and could be useful to other forum users?
I also think that if you can cut out the middleman and buy direct its got to save money?
looking forward to your comments an No I am not a pi£$*&*d
lol lol lol lol lol
cheers in advance
Superpot
Old Sep 7th 2008, 5:44 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wine

Originally Posted by SUPERPOT
Forgive me if this has been covered before no doubts it may have been.
I am interested in anyones advice on where to go in and around Javea to taste\buy some wine. (apart of the run of the mill supermarkets)
I believe the jalon region have bodegas as lots of wine is made around there?
I just think that maybe some people have already trodden this path and it may help in saving us some time and could be useful to other forum users?
I also think that if you can cut out the middleman and buy direct its got to save money?
looking forward to your comments an No I am not a pi£$*&*d
lol lol lol lol lol
cheers in advance
Superpot

Hi

Not much help re the part of Spain you may troll this site below it may be of some help.
Speaking for myself I find a lot of these people V Boring. I can listen to a Master of Wine all night
But we all know one of these little Napoleons who prove a little knowledge is dangerous.

http://www.costablancawinesociety.com/colin2.html

I find I can not get French wines in my part of Catalonia so I use Berry Brothers of London.They have been around since 1698 so they know a little about vino. They deliver to Spain. The bottles are packed to a high standard so breakages are few. I have had haven't had any to date.I am a white wine person I am afraid with a liking for Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé

I have shown a link to their website they send you out offers and nice catalogues re the wine lists. I have shown the Spanish wines below it may help you name and give an idea of their retail value and if suitable for laying down.The site is also good for brushing up on your wine knowledge.

http://www.bbr.com/shopping/list?nar...ch_both_F.y=11

Last edited by poshnbucks; Sep 7th 2008 at 5:58 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that I am most grateful for is that I have simple tastes in wine, music and cars. I can be happy with a litre of red at one euro, I don't need my ear for music pampered with speaker cable at £250 a metre, and a car is a metal box with 4 wheels.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
One of the things that I am most grateful for is that I have simple tastes in wine, music and cars. I can be happy with a litre of red at one euro, I don't need my ear for music pampered with speaker cable at £250 a metre, and a car is a metal box with 4 wheels.
Bil, shame on you!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Bloody hell bil I am in total agreement!!! .... I think we could be twins separated at birth (you have the brains though.... obviously... and I the looks!)
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thankew, thankew.

Well, if you can take your pleasures in simple (cheap) things, then you are lucky.

I genuinely feel sorry for people whose life is incomplete without the best labels, the ultimate car and so on.

Wine is different, and I never cease to be amazed at the incredible abilities of a serious wine taster. (There's also a lot of crap spoken too, cue Jilly Goulden or whoever it is shrieking "I'm getting cut grass, I'm getting bicycle saddles, I'm getting...... - well, I'd suggest a good rogering would probably help.

Me tho I will get by on the cheap stuff quite happily.

Don't mind me. I'm on the outside of a chilled bottle of red fizzy. It's my last bottle of red vixen, and I was saving it for when we got the planning permission, but screw that. Jan is moving out permanently tomorrow, so we are celebrating at least a partial escape.

Bottoms up and I will be gone for the next two weeks or so.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Thankew, thankew.

Well, if you can take your pleasures in simple (cheap) things, then you are lucky.

I genuinely feel sorry for people whose life is incomplete without the best labels, the ultimate car and so on.

Wine is different, and I never cease to be amazed at the incredible abilities of a serious wine taster. (There's also a lot of crap spoken too, cue Jilly Goulden or whoever it is shrieking "I'm getting cut grass, I'm getting bicycle saddles, I'm getting...... - well, I'd suggest a good rogering would probably help.

Me tho I will get by on the cheap stuff quite happily.

Don't mind me. I'm on the outside of a chilled bottle of red fizzy. It's my last bottle of red vixen, and I was saving it for when we got the planning permission, but screw that. Jan is moving out permanently tomorrow, so we are celebrating at least a partial escape.

Bottoms up and I will be gone for the next two weeks or so.
Ha ha ha .... celebrating the wife moving out! Priceless! ...... but I do know the reasoning in it!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:37 pm
bil
Banned

As you know, I will be an EXTREME COMMUTER!

(Sounds impressive, doesn't it?)

I am the Ben Fogle de nos jours!!

It means that I save a grand and a quarter in rent and council tax a month, even if I have to spend some of that on renting a room and pay for a flight every three weeks.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
As you know, I will be an EXTREME COMMUTER!

(Sounds impressive, doesn't it?)

I am the Ben Fogle de nos jours!!

It means that I save a grand and a quarter in rent and council tax a month, even if I have to spend some of that on renting a room and pay for a flight every three weeks.

But a room and a flight wont cost that much... and at least ONE of you will be happy. Good Luck to Jan xx
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:46 pm
bil
Banned

Thanks. I too will have my general happiness improved. I will get to spend almost half the year in Spain, I will never be more than three or two weeks away from where I want to be, and a lot of the problems and complexity in my life will be reduced. All I need to do then is to get the cards and loans paid off, save a bit over the next 5 years, and then hopefully take my pension early and p*ss off.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by bil
Thanks. I too will have my general happiness improved. I will get to spend almost half the year in Spain, I will never be more than three or two weeks away from where I want to be, and a lot of the problems and complexity in my life will be reduced. All I need to do then is to get the cards and loans paid off, save a bit over the next 5 years, and then hopefully take my pension early and p*ss off.

I can see why you drink the cheap stuff its what dreams are made of
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:50 am
bil
Banned

Can't afford the posh stuff.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
Whilst I cannot stand wine, except when it forms part of a recipe, I have to say I agree. I may disagree with you on many an issue on this web-site but I believe you are spot on here.

Let me give two examples

1. I worked with a guy who had worked in supermarkets for thirty or more years. He once said that when he was starting out he was told by one of his bosses to bring out a tray of tomatoes from the back of the store. When he did so he saw there were two trays already out. One was priced at about a third more per pound. "Which stack shall I put them on he said" "Doesn't matter said his boss, they are all the same, it's just that some folk have to have the best and so we give them what they want"

2. I had a friend who was into hi-fi. Real perfectionist, could hear things beyond my capabilities. He was always getting the best (and the wire you refer to rings a bell) and latest technology.
You know I think I never heard a complete album when I visited him. It was murder as he was always stopping the record part way through a track because of some perceived imperfection.

My wife and her mum do drink wine and in our stays in Valencia they drink the two euro Valencian wines from Carrefour or Mercadona etc. They are (get) more than happy.

It appears that contrary to advice from those who know, if you like the taste it's worth buying, even if less than a euro a bottle.(providing there are no nasty side effects other than the ones you expect to get)

Last edited by Justlookin; Sep 10th 2008 at 8:41 am. Reason: clarification
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Whilst I cannot stand wine, except when it forms part of a recipe, I have to say I agree. I may disagree with you on many an issue on this web-site but I believe you are spot on here.

Let me give two examples

1. I worked with a guy who had worked in supermarkets for thirty or more years. He once said that when he was starting out he was told by one of his bosses to bring out a tray of tomatoes from the back of the store. When he did so he saw there were two trays already out. One was priced at about a third more per pound. "Which stack shall I put them on he said" "Doesn't matter said his boss, they are all the same, it's just that some folk have to have the best and so we give them what they want"

2. I had a friend who was into hi-fi. Real perfectionist, could hear things beyond my capabilities. He was always getting the best (and the wire you refer to rings a bell) and latest technology.
You know I think I never heard a complete album when I visited him. It was murder as he was always stopping the record part way through a track because of some perceived imperfection.

My wife and her mum do drink wine and in our stays in Valencia they drink the two euro Valencian wines from Carrefour or Mercadona etc. They are (get) more than happy.

It appears that contrary to advice from those who know, if you like the taste it's worth buying, even if less than a euro a bottle.(providing there are no nasty side effects other than the ones you expect to get)
I do have a little chuckle when I read comments like the good bil and yourself because with all good intentions you know little about wine. I agree with the point about the tomatoes and I am not one of the supermarket conformists who must have each one the same size I wish I knew who they are, On the contrary I think once you have established yourself in the Markets of Spain you quickly find that ugly is sometimes and indeed mostly tasteful and wholesome. You can drink the euro plonk if your goal at the end of the day is to get either merry or blotto but look at the meat shelf in many supermarkets they all look red, Are sliced, But vary in price and quality from 3 to 16-20 euros. Because the quality/toughness varies. Same with I would say most wines that Joe public will drink between 3 and 36 euros a bottle quality does show through you do not have to be a wine snob to taste the difference in depth of flavour or to use the snobs language length and finish. I prefer to get my meat from my local butcher and my Veg from the market because to can feel the veg not though a plastic wrapping.
An Onion has to be hard to the touch what's that got to do with wine i hear you shout....But not really giving a monkeys, Well its all about you and what you like I do not dismiss cheap wines just because there cheap, We had Friends to dinner last evening and had 11 euro Aldi Champagne nothing wrong with the stuff.........I hate Cava.. I bought 3 cases so pop a bottle in the fridge for lunch and away you go. The point is Horses for courses if your happy with a wine you have found then quaff it down be it 2 euros or 40 euros a bottle. Life is too short to keep on waffling along...errrrrrrr so I'm off now Mrs Posh requires a service in the bedroom.......... No the aircon filters are getting a clean.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I do have a little chuckle when I read comments like the good bil and yourself because with all good intentions you know little about wine.
I frequently think your posts are full of chuckles!! Does that indicate my thoughts about your espoused knowledge?

I know nowt about wine (or in truth very little) as less than a small glass full has passed my lips from the glass or bottle in more than sixty years.

No one can tell me I have poor taste - I have none

What I do know is that the wine that passes my wife's lips either meets her taste requirements or doesn't.

You can always buy something more expensive or that an 'expert' swears is the best but as in all things you are not necessarily going to agree. You may still prefer the cheap plonk.

Each to their own really sums up my attitude. Not for me to indicate some pretentious position in connection with the views of others. Tell them I disagree but not in some pompous manner.

P.S. I have to admit I think your smileys are often the best - but that's just a personal opinion

Last edited by Justlookin; Sep 10th 2008 at 11:35 am. Reason: Added P.S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.