A Wind Up

Old Jul 17th 2022, 10:29 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down A Wind Up

When I read the headline, I thought this has to be a joke? Apparently not

British woman says Benidorm holiday was ruined by too many Spanish people (msn.com)

Old Jul 17th 2022, 10:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Wind Up

Originally Posted by missile
When I read the headline, I thought this has to be a joke? Apparently not

British woman says Benidorm holiday was ruined by too many Spanish people (msn.com)
This is an old story though - didn't Thomas Cook go bust?
Old Jul 17th 2022, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
This is an old story though - didn't Thomas Cook go bust?
Now you know why!

Yes, from 2018.

Loads of these stories abound, probably mostly true!
Old Jul 17th 2022, 12:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

A well, every day is a skool day
Old Jul 17th 2022, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Yep old story. My sister worked for them in the refund and accounts dept.
She said they had multiple refund and complaints in this line.
Some where completely fantastic. She said it was the highlight of her day to read them and to email the best ones to others in the office.
Someone even complained that the were unhappy that cars drove on the wrong side of the road in Spain.

And we had the mis fortune of one of these first hand.

Went to Turkey on an all inclusive (not my choice the daughter worked for First Choice nd we paid £35 for a week including airfair in 2015)

In the breakfast buffet an irate English man was complaining about the lack of bacon and sausages.

The locals just said sorry but didn't add anything.
I suggested he might like to consider where he was and what the religion of the country demanded.

Needless to say he just kept whinging on at anyone who would listen. Which turned out to be quite a few as they were at the front desk complaining later that day.

​​​​​
Old Jul 17th 2022, 4:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine a Spaniard going to Blackpool and complaining about the entertainment being in English and that there should not be English people holidaying there.

Rosemary
Old Jul 18th 2022, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Can you imagine a Spaniard going to Blackpool and complaining about the entertainment being in English and that there should not be English people holidaying there.

Rosemary
Many of the UK's anti foreigner brigade have that situation resolved Rosemary. They insist all foreigners speak English. Of course the same rules don't apply to Brits they can speak any language fluently by simply shouting and pointing or waving their arms around untill Johnny foreigner understands.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

"Ah the good old days" when the customer was treated with respect.

Note the Thomas Cook comment : "A Thomas Cook spokesperson said:

"Due to a system error Ms Jackson was not informed of a change to her flights until six days before departure.

Today likely to be a WhatApp while you are standing in the check-in queue
Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:43 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
"Ah the good old days" when the customer was treated with respect.

Note the Thomas Cook comment : "A Thomas Cook spokesperson said:

"Due to a system error Ms Jackson was not informed of a change to her flights until six days before departure.

Today likely to be a WhatApp while you are standing in the check-in queue
That is so true: Airlines must know days in advance that they will have to cancel a flight. Is it too much trouble for them to inform their passengers before they get to the airport?
Old Jul 19th 2022, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
Diverting slightly, but on a similar theme, in a book on human rights I've recently read, an Anglican vicar was in discussion with an atheist, especially regarding Christianity. The man had declared that he certainly didn't need God to tell him how to run his life, which was quite moral enough, as far as he was concerned. In conclusion, the man added "However, if there is a God and if there is a Heaven, on the basis of my good life I shall be claiming my right of entry".
And he wasn't joking.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
That is so true: Airlines must know days in advance that they will have to cancel a flight. Is it too much trouble for them to inform their passengers before they get to the airport?
Nope there was something on Uk TV yesterday about the slots airlines buy for take off and landing.
They buy slots in advance (didn't say how long) and if they were to cancel too far ahead, the airport authority could then resell that time to another airline and I think it then becomes theirs (no matter what the original contract states).
I could be wrong but thats what it sounded like.

So by cancelling as late as possible, I assume they pay for the not used slot but its still theirs for the coming days and weeks due to buying forwards.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Nope there was something on Uk TV yesterday about the slots airlines buy for take off and landing.
They buy slots in advance (didn't say how long) and if they were to cancel too far ahead, the airport authority could then resell that time to another airline and I think it then becomes theirs (no matter what the original contract states).

So by cancelling as late as possible, I assume they pay for the not used slot but its still theirs for the coming days and weeks due to buying forwards.
I'm no expert but that's roughly how it works. Especially if they cancel the same flight over & over again. The major airports have a lot of companies waiting for vacant slots, so the airlines play a balancing act to avoid endangering their prized times.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm no expert but that's roughly how it works. Especially if they cancel the same flight over & over again. The major airports have a lot of companies waiting for vacant slots, so the airlines play a balancing act to avoid endangering their prized times.
Wasn't it the case that some airlines were flying empty planes during the pandemic to protect their slots until the government stepped in and guaranteed protection.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej

Slots are purchased, in effect, in perpetuity, and up front, and for so long as the airline uses them (although the Govt. has applied a temporary amnesty on non use). Airport (use fees) are a separate issue. Basically slots are a bundle of rights, not to be confused with T/O slots which are a completely separate issue.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 10:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Wasn't it the case that some airlines were flying empty planes during the pandemic to protect their slots until the government stepped in and guaranteed protection.
I believe so, yes

I watched a documentary recently where a couple of bucket airlines, one at least was American, were given the use of vacant slots at Heathrow during the pandemic. One of the airlines managed to bargain their way into keeping some slots because they were bringing in plenty of revenue, while the larger airline was very slow to get flying to capacity again.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 19th 2022 at 10:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.