Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is the wind a problem on the Costa de Luz?

Is the wind a problem on the Costa de Luz?

Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

GB2CADIZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the wind a problem on the Costa de Luz?

My daughter has asthma and we are looking to move to Costa de Luz area - we have heard comments about the wind in this region - is this true??

Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:47 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the wind a problem on the Costa de Luz?

Originally Posted by GB2CADIZ
My daughter has asthma and we are looking to move to Costa de Luz area - we have heard comments about the wind in this region - is this true??

Thanks
Depends which part you go to.

I am guessing by your name that you are going to Cadiz province. The wind is much stronger here (west facing towards the atlantic) than in the Huelva province (south facing and sheltered by Portugal).

All the best water/wind sports are in Cadiz province.

Which town are you going to? The wind is always stronger on the coast than inland.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Depends which part you go to.

I am guessing by your name that you are going to Cadiz province. The wind is much stronger here (west facing towards the atlantic) than in the Huelva province (south facing and sheltered by Portugal).

All the best water/wind sports are in Cadiz province.

Which town are you going to? The wind is always stronger on the coast than inland.

Hello from GB

Thanks for your information

We are looking at Chiclana/ Conil area but we have fairly limited knowledge of Costa De Luz
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:14 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello from GB

Thanks for your information

We are looking at Chiclana/ Conil area but we have fairly limited knowledge of Costa De Luz
It is frequently windy, the levante wind also brings fine particles of sand across from Africa. It can be pretty windy inland if you are in one of the pueblos blancos such as Medina Sidonia, Vejer or Alcala de los gazules which all sit on hills.

Chiclana if you want more expats around, Conil if you like it more Spanish. Both have excellent beaches, Conil's is next to the town whereas Chiclana's is some way off at Barrosa/Novo Sancti Petri.

Depends on what you want and where you are used to living, Cadiz itself has great beaches but also some of the buzz of a city. Tariffa is also a bit more cosmopolitan than the rest of the local towns. Otherwise inland is Jerez or Arcos.

Good luck - the local english language mag has just improved its website so you can download the new copies - laluzmag.com - which may be of use.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:18 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
We live in land about 40 mins and we have little wind just gentle , we live in a village called Bornos just out side Arcos mostly spanish, all fantastic people
I wish you luck its a great place to live.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 5:31 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about how it would affect someone with asthma, but Chiclana is windy. The Levante can really blow...when I left on the 8th July it had started and blew for around a week I believe. In the last 10 days of August it blew for a couple of days. It amuses me when I see people promoting the Costa de la Luz but no mention of the Levante. My Spanish friends always say that so far it has been the coastlines saving grace... anyone wanting still balmy weather should look elsewhere and leave this beautiful still unspoiled stretch of the coast to those who want it to remain that way... the wind is a wonderful guardian sweeping away those who would overdevelop it in the name of Mammon.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice

Originally Posted by poollounger
I don't know about how it would affect someone with asthma, but Chiclana is windy. The Levante can really blow...when I left on the 8th July it had started and blew for around a week I believe. In the last 10 days of August it blew for a couple of days. It amuses me when I see people promoting the Costa de la Luz but no mention of the Levante. My Spanish friends always say that so far it has been the coastlines saving grace... anyone wanting still balmy weather should look elsewhere and leave this beautiful still unspoiled stretch of the coast to those who want it to remain that way... the wind is a wonderful guardian sweeping away those who would overdevelop it in the name of Mammon.

I didn't think i would ever say this but the wind got up yesterday and it was a relief !! 41 degrees C in the shade with not even a breeze the 2 previous days !!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

The levante wind blows from the East to the West - from the Med across the straits of Gibraltar and not from Africa. I live on the costa de La Luz and both myself and my daughter are asthmatic - since being here my daughter has not used her inhalers very much at all and neither have I. It seems to be a bit worse at night when it is very hot and humid - but I think we have both improved since being here.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I had Asthma triggered by Hay Fever in the UK, got it every summer, this summer, first in Spain, not a sign!!, and I've heard similar from other sufferers, you may well find her Asthma much improved or even disappears.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid I hate the Levante it seems to affect me mentally and does get me down. The dust is horrendous apart from your house, and your pool it gets in your hair and face. In our house you cannot sit outside as you are sand blasted. I can put up with it for a couple of days but when it was here for weeks earlier in the summer it was terrible.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:27 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
I am afraid I hate the Levante it seems to affect me mentally and does get me down. The dust is horrendous apart from your house, and your pool it gets in your hair and face. In our house you cannot sit outside as you are sand blasted. I can put up with it for a couple of days but when it was here for weeks earlier in the summer it was terrible.
You are not alone there Glynis. It drives me quite bonkers. The dogs and the cat seem to be affected too but my hubby doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Two days is about all I can stand.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjh
You are not alone there Glynis. It drives me quite bonkers. The dogs and the cat seem to be affected too but my hubby doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Two days is about all I can stand.

Thanks to everyone above who has responded - some very useful information from everyone so thanks v much
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
It´s when people say "I like a nice breeze"!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:54 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
It´s when people say "I like a nice breeze"!
Hee hee!!