Wills

Old May 16th 2007, 8:27 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wills

Originally Posted by Lis48
The problem comes if you are not married and you both die at the same time (e.g. car crash). Then the eldest is deemed to have died first so the assets would pass to the younger partner and from there to their children. So the children of the other partner might miss out. That was the complication explained to me by my Spanish lawyer and your wishes in that situation need to be written in the will.
Yes, our wills are very clear in these instructions and all our Spanish property is to be divided equally between the five of them.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Dirty Dick is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that the latest Will would be the current one, as afer all it is the LAST Will & Testament. So the oldest one would fail in a court of law.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I depends on the wording.

My Spanish will contains three relevant clauses.

The first says:- ... leaves, in their entirety, all present and future assets, rights, credits and shares, held in the name of the bequeather, in Spain.

The second says:- The bequeather states that this will does not prejudice or obstruct any will executed outside Spain.

The third says:- Such is the last will and testament of ...... revoking any previous will which may have been drawn up in Spain.

So if you had a UK will that did not specifically limit itself to non Spanish assets then that will might stand rather than the Spanish will.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 14th 2007 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Dirty Dick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for that info, better get mine & the wifes out and check them.

Better get the Tippex out !!!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirty Dick
Thanx for that info, better get mine & the wifes out and check them.

Better get the Tippex out !!!
It will be no good if its altered with tippex. ;-).
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:37 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We each had a Spanish Will with English translation drawn up for our Spanish assetts and an English will for our English assetts. Each specifies 'in Spain' or 'in the UK'.

We had them done by a professional will writer with a business on the Costa del Sol.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:49 am
Just Joined

gerontius is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many couples have left their half share in the spanish property to their surviving spouse and accordingly racked up their potential liability to UK Inheritance tax. This is the common clause in spanish wills.,..spouses leave their share to each other and consequently push themselves over the nil rate band in the Uk...you just cannot walk into a lawyers office and get a will done without a proper financial in depth assessment of ALL of your assets if you wish to mitigate potential IHT in the UK