Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will more taxation cure Global Warming ?

View Poll Results: How Do You feel Global Warming should be tackled ?
Add more Taxation to everybody
15.63%
Make bigger Cars and trucks pay more tax than small vehicles .
40.63%
Just close your eyes and dont worry about it
21.88%
Not our problem let the kids sort it in 150 years time
18.75%
Plant more trees to combat the Co2 increases
62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Will more taxation cure Global Warming ?

Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:38 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will more taxation cure Global Warming ?

Just out of interest ;

I am puzzled as to how by increasing Taxation on Flights , Road Fuels ,and the such like . Global warming will be halted and the World be saved from a ghastly Science fiction searing painful scorching death !!

Anyone explain the logic ?
as i cant for the life of me see how paying more is going to stop me doing anything ?

set up a poll save you all typing ? as i know you cant be bothered

Maybe you have your own theory ? And solutions to this world threat ? If so lets hear them ...
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will more taxation cure Global Warming ?

No.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
No.
your supposed to vote as well
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
your supposed to vote as well
Oh?? Can I do that in prison?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:31 am
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Oh?? Can I do that in prison?
You can do more in prison that out of it! And no adding tax is just a money grabbing exercise!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Just out of interest ;

I am puzzled as to how by increasing Taxation on Flights , Road Fuels ,and the such like . Global warming will be halted and the World be saved from a ghastly Science fiction searing painful scorching death !!
Maybe you have your own theory ? And solutions to this world threat ? If so lets hear them ...
Here's the controversial bit. I firmly believe that all the easily available
fossil fuel will get used up. The only questions are, how long will it
take and who (which countries) will use it? When single countries reduce
their consumption, through taxes or otherwise, all they're doing is reducing
the percentage of FF they'll eventually have used up.
Now that may give some leaders somewhere a feeling of high moral position,
but I fail to see how that will materially help the people who voted for them.

What we have here is technically known as a tragedy of the commons.
I don't know what the answer is, only that what a single country does (apart
from the big "three") makes no difference to the final position.

Pete
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Well I'm certainly with Big Pete on this one.

Taxing our 'cheap' flights is simply a way for the government to steal more of our hard earned money. They don't even bother to claim they put this tax towards anything that might alleviate the problem of global warming.

Apart from anything else, the fact that the UK is an island seems to escape these 'do gooders', we can't walk on water to get where we need to go, much as that would be very handy, and eco friendly. So air travel, loads of people in one metal tube, is actually doing less damage than the same amount of people driving their individual cars, or indeed taking a boat ride.

Our great friend the U S of A is the worst offender in the global warming scene, closely followed by China and I would guess Russia? (not sure on this one).

The UK's contribution is miniscule by comparison. I'm sick of people trying to make me feel guilty. I know there is a problem and yes its scary, and yes we have to start somewhere but frankly I am not prepared to give up my trips to Spain until the USA make a move in the right direction, they don't even have the excuse of being a third world country which needs to catch the rest of us up.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pete_l
Here's the controversial bit. I firmly believe that all the easily available
fossil fuel will get used up. The only questions are, how long will it
take and who (which countries) will use it? When single countries reduce
their consumption, through taxes or otherwise, all they're doing is reducing
the percentage of FF they'll eventually have used up.
Now that may give some leaders somewhere a feeling of high moral position,
but I fail to see how that will materially help the people who voted for them.

What we have here is technically known as a tragedy of the commons.
I don't know what the answer is, only that what a single country does (apart
from the big "three") makes no difference to the final position.

Pete

Good point, and as the UK manufacturing is declining anyway through excessive legislation and greedy Taxation ie; Rates and the such like . Forcing Companies to seek manufacturing elsewhere ,then Uk doesnt contribute hardly squat to the Global problem ..
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Like susique said, what ever we do it will not help unless the other big countries such as China and America follow. There was a scary fact on the news about China starting a new power station every 20 minutes or something so what can we do?

I personally recycle everything I can, only use my car when I really need to, turn off lights when I am not in the room and never leave things on stand by. I know this makes a small difference in my house but how can it help the whole world?

Re planting new trees, we wouldn't have to do this if the rain forests weren't being cut down at such a fast rate.

Tax could help if they actually used it for something ecologically but are they going to do that - NAH!

And another thing, why on earth are new builds in Spain and the UK not made to install things like solar panels etc? This would cut our energy consumption a hell of a lot.

Ooohh you have got me started now but i think my rant is finally over

Last edited by accommodation-in-spain; Feb 20th 2007 at 6:48 pm. Reason: ranting so much it didn't make sense :-)
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:53 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
And another thing, why on earth are new builds in Spain and the UK not made to install things like solar panels etc? This would cut our energy consumption a hell of a lot.

Have to agree with you on this one, for the life of be I do not understand why the designers are not catching on to this idea. Although I recycled in the UK it was no where near as much as I do here in Spain, I have become so much more aware of energy consumption and conservation.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Like susique said, what ever we do it will not help unless the other big countries such as China and America follow. There was a scary fact on the news about China starting a new power station every 20 minutes or something so what can we do?

I personally recycle everything I can, only use my car when I really need to, turn off lights when I am not in the room and never leave things on stand by. I know this makes a small difference in my house but how can it help the whole world?

Re planting new trees, we wouldn't have to do this if the rain forests weren't being cut down at such a fast rate.

Tax could help if they actually used it for something ecologically but are they going to do that - NAH!

With regard to new builds, they can't even stop the illegal buildings, never mind enforce a particular design!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susique
With regard to new builds, they can't even stop the illegal buildings, never mind enforce a particular design!
Too true ;-)
They are only just learning to lay bricks, so no chance of solar panels.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:40 pm
Banned

Good points made ..
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

As an aside to the global warming bit I see from the papers that the Federation of Tour Operators is seeking a judicial review of the departure tax claiming that it is illegal and breaches both international and UK law. If they win it will mean refunds totalling £2billion for travellers and airlines. Its on page 26 of the UK edition of Tuesdays Daily Mail.

In another paper, not sure which, the federation claims it breaches our human rights.

More money for Tony and Cherie and they get to put the boot in to Gordon.

Jim
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

And I heard on working lunch today that the monthly UK Government grants for 'alternative' energy ran out this month within 54 minutes of the first day of this month!

So much for putting the money into something environmental This 'tax' money could be used to top these grants up as it is obvious that people really want to help make a difference. Where is the encouragement from the government?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.