Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WIFI experiences please?

WIFI experiences please?

Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

kdpunshon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WIFI experiences please?

I have chosen to purchase a home on a mountain, Casares. beautiful but no fibre.

I am trying to figure out the best internet provider (wifi and not TV which I don't care about) and everywhere I look I see one nightmare situation after another. I know that people who are happy don't usually bother to write reviews so wondering if there are people happy with a service provider here?

I will be a non resident so only living there part time. If I have to pay all year I don't mind. I just want the best internet I can get and whatever I pay for I would like to get.

Any experiences very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WIFI experiences please?

Do you have a mobile phone? How is the 3G/4G coverage there?
These days this is by far the best way to do it in remote locations if there is poor domestic internet coverage or access.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

HI Calman, Thanks for the reply. I have a UK mobile phone which i suspect is no good. Any idea of where i start finding out about this option as I have no idea. Also, any idea of what something like this costs? Thanks again.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a decent mobile phone (Android or Apple) with a subscription that includes data then it should be possible. Pay as you go won't work effectively. If it's essential to have WiFi for work or personal use, then this is the way to go. Once setup you will only pay for the data you use on your existing account no matter where you are.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

I have a Samsung Galaxy / s6 so good enough phone with a data plan here in the UK. Can you point me to a location where i can find out about the 3g/4g bit as i have no knowledge of this. YES I need to work there which is the biggest stressor right now. Movistar want 50 Euro per month for 8MB - sounds like daylight robbery to me. And i am not planning on becoming a resident so for less than 6 months per year i will have to pay 600 Euros (plus i presume 21%) for a very bad wifi connection (not to mention a contract i cannot get out of for a year). Any help is much appreciated.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kdpunshon
I have chosen to purchase a home on a mountain, Casares. beautiful but no fibre.

I am trying to figure out the best internet provider (wifi and not TV which I don't care about) and everywhere I look I see one nightmare situation after another. I know that people who are happy don't usually bother to write reviews so wondering if there are people happy with a service provider here?

I will be a non resident so only living there part time. If I have to pay all year I don't mind. I just want the best internet I can get and whatever I pay for I would like to get.

Any experiences very much appreciated. Thanks!
It seems to me that you don't actually need Wifi, what you need is a connection to the internet. This is achieved mainly over a connection which may be a copper wire, a fibre optic cable and occasionally wirelessly (mobile). If you have a high requirement for digital access then you will probably need 'broadband' For TV real time or streaming you will almost certainly need broadband. For more modest requirements then a cable (or WiMAX) or mobile connection will probably do.

If you don't have an existing cable or wired connection to your house then you could enquire from the local provider how much it would need to run one. Unfortunately this is usually prohibitive if you're in the boondocks but often quite reasonable if you are in an urbanisation. There is usually a rental charge on top.
To find out if a mobile signal is likely to be effective then allow data on your phone (temporarily) and see how many bars you get on either 3G or 4G icons. If you have many bars on 4G then you are quids in (or out depends on your point of view). If very few bars on 3G then you are going to struggle.
You will need to see if there are any Wimax providers in your vicinity. Wimax provides an internet connection between a small dish on your roof and a line-of-sight antenna of the provider.

Once you have a physical (electronic) connection to the internet you will need an ISP (Internet Service Provider) but most connecters will have their own.

Once you have all this you may find that the ability to connect more than one device to this connection without trailing wires all over you house would be useful. At this stage you could consider a Wifi router which as the name suggest will take your internet connection and route to wherever you want it (within a fairly small range).

Or you can find the local bar/café which provides Wifi for free and make numerous new friends and threaten your liver to your heart's content

[Forgive any granny - egg sucking, it's because I don't know your level of knowledge and understanding]
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

To continue the discussion in a logical way:
Your data plan in UK will include roaming, meaning no extra high costs when abroad as long as you have bought in enough capacity per month ( for example 2 Gigabyte or 5 Gigabyte).
Anything oustide that you will have to pay extra for of course.
All you need to do is make sure your "DATA" connection is switched on on your phone and you can 'tether' your laptop to it in most cases wirelessly.

The next step is to test what kind of signal you are getting in the area of your property.

3g/4g is irrelevant until you have tested for yourself. If there is a 3G or 4G signal and your phone can handle it, it will normally show up on the screen as such.

Steps to enable or disable a 4G connection Samsung Galaxy S 6 edge

From the home screen, tap Apps.
Scroll to and tap Settings.
Scroll to and tap Mobile networks.
Tap Network mode.
Tap CDMA to disable 4G LTE, 3G access only.
Tap LTE/CDMA or Automatic to enable 4G LTE when available.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Cobertura Orange 4G/4G+

Try this link to 4G coverage.