BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wifi Connections Costs

I live in a block of 15 Apartments .
Next door and below are Shops & Banks.
As we are all probably paying through the nose for some kind of
Internet Broadband Connection.
It would make sense to have our own Wifi system in our block,
that we could all access.
Is this possible , and what would the costs involve ?
Many Thanks !
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:25 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wifi Connections Costs

Originally Posted by BigD
I live in a block of 15 Apartments .
Next door and below are Shops & Banks.
As we are all probably paying through the nose for some kind of
Internet Broadband Connection.
It would make sense to have our own Wifi system in our block,
that we could all access.
Is this possible , and what would the costs involve ?
Many Thanks !
Don't know if its legal but it is possible for several flats to share a connection. I know of cases where one flat has a fast connection and the cost is shared over several flats using wi fi extenders which ensure each flat has its own sub wi fi network. Takes trust though!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

aggboloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I think is free for you. if wifi is open not cost for you. the problem is for owner wifi.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:24 am
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by aggboloke
I think is free for you. if wifi is open not cost for you. the problem is for owner wifi.
It has to be agered with the owner of the line - and only they can give access to the wi fi extender by revealing the password.

Once the participant has a wifi extender they can have their own passwrd to protect their own part of the system. Each participant therefore has a mini wifi network which only they have access to use.

It is then up to the participants to pay the line owner part of the costs or he will simply change the main password and so cut everyone else off.

Its all down to co-operation - and in the cases I have seen it works fine.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joddle
It has to be agered with the owner of the line - and only they can give access to the wi fi extender by revealing the password.

Once the participant has a wifi extender they can have their own passwrd to protect their own part of the system. Each participant therefore has a mini wifi network which only they have access to use.

It is then up to the participants to pay the line owner part of the costs or he will simply change the main password and so cut everyone else off.

Its all down to co-operation - and in the cases I have seen it works fine.
Thanks for all you advise ! but I still would like to know , what costs are involved, and how you woud get around to having Wifi installed ?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:42 pm
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by BigD
Thanks for all you advise ! but I still would like to know , what costs are involved, and how you woud get around to having Wifi installed ?
This is how it works.

a) One person has to have an internet connection and then a wi fi router attatched to it which we will call the base - the others then have to agree to help with the payment of that service. In that way it would be possible for anyone having the password for the network to use the service so long as they were within range of the network - but that is not very controllable.

b) So to give a bit of control it is better that each participant has a wi fi extender. This picles up the wifi signal from the base and creates a mini wi fi network in that flat with its own password.

To work properly only the owner of the base unit shouldl know the password to his network and so set up the routers for the others - in that was they cannot hack into his systeemand he can terminate the link to the service if abused.

The costs are the origional internet connection + the cost of the wi fi extenders.