Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why we like Ayamonte

Why we like Ayamonte

Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Why we like Ayamonte

Aren't we glad we bought in Ayamonte maybe not as much fun but much more civilised!

http://www.costa-news.com/costa-leva...hotline-jammed
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why we like Ayamonte

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Aren't we glad we bought in Ayamonte maybe not as much fun but much more civilised!

Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

This sums up Ayamonte for me
http://www.thequirkytraveller.com/20...dalucia-spain/
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by guesswork
Ditto,
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by guesswork
Says it all, doesn't it.
Sshhh, we should keep it a secret
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyS
Says it all, doesn't it.
Sshhh, we should keep it a secret
Just a quick question. Is it OK to buy food and eat it at the cafes, over a coffee (as mentioned re churros in the article) ?

I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that, unless its a typical Spanish thing... that I didnt know about.

If it is OK - is it for any food, like eg a croissant? Or just churros? I still may find it uncomfortable, but an interesting thing to know about. Whatever I wouldn't bring food that was already being sold in the cafe..... eg if a croissant was sold there - then I walk in with one of my own!

Maybe its my North European thinking...??

Thanks
Jon

PS Croissant was just an example....
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

¡Hola, Jon!

We had breakfast of churros at a café (Bar Casa Miguel at the central market, Mercado del Carmen) in Huelva on our recent visit. Churros stall (churrería) just outside the café, sorry, don't know name as chauffeur sent on errand. Lovely, crispy churros. Served for morning and afternoon coffee (merienda); later on in the day they make crisps.

Same goes for the market at Ayamonte. You buys your churros (hot and wrapped in a paper poke) and heads for the nearest bar/café so you can order a coffee or hot chocolate. Sprinkle sugar on the (still hot) churros and shake - the bag! (yes it does make a difference)

Nice one with cinnamon, although I'd not fancy a "sauce andalouse" that early in the morning!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
¡Hola, Jon!

We had breakfast of churros at a café (Bar Casa Miguel at the central market, Mercado del Carmen) in Huelva on our recent visit. Churros stall (churrería) just outside the café, sorry, don't know name as chauffeur sent on errand. Lovely, crispy churros. Served for morning and afternoon coffee (merienda); later on in the day they make crisps.

Same goes for the market at Ayamonte. You buys your churros (hot and wrapped in a paper poke) and heads for the nearest bar/café so you can order a coffee or hot chocolate. Sprinkle sugar on the (still hot) churros and shake - the bag! (yes it does make a difference)

Nice one with cinnamon, although I'd not fancy a "sauce andalouse" that early in the morning!
Belgians love sauce andalouse..... I dont eat it. OF COURSE YOU MUST have Cinnamon.... anything else would be sacriledge.... = with Canela in the area

Sounds like Churros are accepted to take to a cafe.... but not other food?

Thanks

Jon

PS never tried a churro - believe it or not, perhaps as I prefer not to walk + eat. Now must put it on the list, over a coffee now that I know I wont get an irate cafe owner...
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Just a quick question. Is it OK to buy food and eat it at the cafes, over a coffee (as mentioned re churros in the article) ?

I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that, unless its a typical Spanish thing... that I didnt know about.

If it is OK - is it for any food, like eg a croissant? Or just churros? I still may find it uncomfortable, but an interesting thing to know about. Whatever I wouldn't bring food that was already being sold in the cafe..... eg if a croissant was sold there - then I walk in with one of my own!

Maybe its my North European thinking...??

Thanks
Jon

PS Croissant was just an example....

As far as I know its just the churros, however, I have seen people eating their own Turron with a cup of coffee. Its surprising the number of people that don't know about bringing your own churros to a cafe here it could be that most other places sell them at the cafe.

Don't know whether you have noticed but you can buy frozen churros and porras (a much larger version) in Mercadona + pouches of the thick chocolate which you heat in the microwave. Not quite the same as going out for them but nice on a rainy day. Regards Bryony
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Re Porras. Not sure I'd like something that translates as "Oh hell!" or "Rubbish!"

I've heard of churros rellenos, filled with dulce de leche; perhaps a fudge doughnut in disguise?

As with the "tapas trail" or "Ruta de la tapa" in Ayamonte, I'd look forward to a Christmas "Churros Crawl" or ¡Churros a chupar!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Re Porras. Not sure I'd like something that translates as "Oh hell!" or "Rubbish!"

I've heard of churros rellenos, filled with dulce de leche; perhaps a fudge doughnut in disguise?

As with the "tapas trail" or "Ruta de la tapa" in Ayamonte, I'd look forward to a Christmas "Churros Crawl" or ¡Churros a chupar!
Hi Carol, if you look at the culinary translation of porra it means 'large club-shaped fritter' which is exactly what they are
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro

Last edited by MikeCol; Aug 6th 2013 at 7:56 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Churros at Laguna Cafe this morning, delicious, thank you J-M. Regards Bryony and family
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad also you have bought in Ayamonte
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Marisol, long time since we met up, hope you all well. I am glad I am Ayamonte too
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hola Marisol, long time since we met up, hope you all well. I am glad I am Ayamonte too
Hola!!
yes, we are great.
I like Ayamonte, above all, due to the good people i have met there and you are one of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.