Why Spain

Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Spain

Originally Posted by amideislas
Hmm. I was always led to believe native Europeans were pretty much all of the same "race". Different nationalities, perhaps, but race? Well, it makes a good argument when you disagree with someone else's opinion, I reckon.
If you are going to use that argument, then there is only one race anyway, the human race

"Racism" is a shorthand for those who think that certain nationalities or people who look a certain way are inferior to other nationalities or to people who look a slightly different way

As you well know
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Hmm. I was always led to believe native Europeans were pretty much all of the same "race". Different nationalities, perhaps, but race? Well, it makes a good argument when you disagree with someone else's opinion, I reckon.

Anyway, I still haven't figured out why so many seem to list their houses for far above their legitimate market value, leaving it there for 5 or more years, whilst every immobiliaria tells them it's extremely overpriced and there's no chance of a sale. But they won't budge, and the property just sits and depreciates.

I've overheard the locals discussing it at times, and the general impression I get of their attitude is that they seem to believe their properties are worth millions, and the €600K they are asking for a property worth €200K is already a 50% discount. Perhaps they seem to be sure of this because of the fish tales told by their neighbours and friends, "I got over a Million for mine" (when they actually were forced to accept a 200K offer to cover their debts).

But there they sit. I know one place in the neighbourhood that's been for sale and empty for over 7 years. It's all overgrown and looking very shabby now, but he still won't budge on the price.

Again, I still tend to think competition is a rather new concept here. Overpricing, however, is and age-old practice.
ISTR Fred James (?) making the comment about being able to see hundreds of houses from his place that are all dark in the week, but the lights come on for the weekend.

the only drawback on a large price cut is the Hacienda being so paranoid the think everyone is passing little brown envelopes under the desk and use the high price for the tax valuation.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you are going to use that argument, then there is only one race anyway, the human race

"Racism" is a shorthand for those who think that certain nationalities or people who look a certain way are inferior to other nationalities or to people who look a slightly different way

As you well know
spoken like a middle class snob who has been to university

what a pity you don't read the stories about graduates stacking shelves at Tesco's - when they have proved they are intelligent enough.

`

ps why isnt this thread in PDT??
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:43 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

As you well know
Just like you do with class, eh?

You seem to bang on about your middle class circles, middle class family etc, to the point of obsession and have got it all worked out that the lower class Spanish won´t be using the AVE.

As I said before a first class tit.

You really do take the buiscuit.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:24 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, CMan.

For while there, I was worried that you might be morphing into some variety of "rational" and actually checking with your brain before embarrassing yourself in writing.

But I'm delighted to see you're back to your charming old self. In this case, you were actually able to distinguish between all those other "races" such as "Austrians", "Belgians", "poor", "rich", "disabled" and what not, and even more exciting, using the same thought process, you were able to reckon that people who disagree with you are actually "racist". Well, that's a very good start, Einstein. I'm very proud of you!

Many sincere laughs from the only one who truly loves you as you are.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 4th 2013 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's not fact at all, it is complete nonsense

Spaniards under 40 are exactly the same height as Brits, Americans or Dutch people under 40

The small Spaniards are those who grew up in hard times when nutrition was limited, mainly the over 60s

As for being blonde and blue eyed, there are plenty of those up here! Northen Spaniards are of Celtic descent, but even Andalucians can be blonde and blue eyed, remember El Cordobés, the famous bull fighter?

The seperate point about "losing your true identity" if you integrate into Spanish society is absolute rubbish also. I have only speaken Spanish outside of my home in the past 6 years, I havent lost anything, but I have gained a lot of insight and a lot of friends. I am the same person as 6 years ago, only a little wiser
I was making a point of my physical appearance making it harder to integrate. My wife however, although London born, has no such hindrances. She has lived in Spain for most of her life and brought up two Spanish children along the way.

She's a brunette of medium height with total fluency in Spanish and has all the mannerisms as well. Most Spanish people are surprised when she speaks to them in English.

If you can judge people's integration levels by the language of their dreams and the occasional nightmare, then she is Spanish.

(I hope I'm not the cause of those nightmares, but who knows?)
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I was making a point of my physical appearance making it harder to integrate. My wife however, although London born, has no such hindrances. She has lived in Spain for most of her life and brought up two Spanish children along the way.

She's a brunette of medium height with total fluency in Spanish and has all the mannerisms as well. Most Spanish people are surprised when she speaks to them in English.

If you can judge people's integration levels by the language of their dreams and the occasional nightmare, then she is Spanish.

(I hope I'm not the cause of those nightmares, but who knows?)
my BH is short, dark, often taken for a Spanish senorita until she tells them No Hablo Espanol in broad Essex
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
what is unrealistic about shipping jobs to India and Bangladesh that CAN be done in the UK. And more unrealistic after shipping the jobs out, getting the national govt to pay subsidies under the pretext of "Aid" and the EU govt to also pay subsidies under the pretext of "Aid" whilst also allowing such countries to trade tariff free.
This pushes the bubble into the wrong shape, people in places like Spain and UK lose jobs whilst their hard earned is going to support the people who have undercut them because of subsidies from their own govts.

lets get a bit of balance on this, lets get each country to stand on its own two feet, without all this aid slushing around (less than 50% actually gets to the right people anyway).
Stop the UK from stealing trained nurses and doctors from other countries to "make quota's" when they are needed in their own country.
Stop offering residency and nationality to people from across the world who work as slaves tending the sick and elderly when there are people around who can do the job - but won't because the benefits aretoo high.

rant over, out to the pub for a tubo............
Sentiment wise I agree with a lot of that. But it's just unviable in today's world. Yes, you can cancel outsourcing and bring the jobs home - and then the company closes because it can't compete with others that do use the 3 dollars a day worker. And yes you can stop poaching of nurses and doctors elsewhere - but to keep our hospitals open we'd need to ban our trained nurses and doctors from seeking better paid work in the ME or US. Not going to happen, is it, if we stay a free and open country?
Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:39 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
my BH is short, dark, often taken for a Spanish senorita until she tells them No Hablo Espanol in broad Essex
My husband always says my limited Spanish is spoken with a West Midlands accent. My argument is that the people where I lived spoke it with an Andaluz accent , so what's the difference?
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971

Oh yeah - Spain also has a national footie team that actually wins stuff

Elle xx
They got stuffed the other night! But I read in the Spanish newspaper it was the ref what did it, so that's OK.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:41 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Sentiment wise I agree with a lot of that. But it's just unviable in today's world. Yes, you can cancel outsourcing and bring the jobs home - and then the company closes because it can't compete with others that do use the 3 dollars a day worker. And yes you can stop poaching of nurses and doctors elsewhere - but to keep our hospitals open we'd need to ban our trained nurses and doctors from seeking better paid work in the ME or US. Not going to happen, is it, if we stay a free and open country?
Well we certainly cannot produce electronic gadgets here. The labour costs would put you out of business before you shipped your first product.

We like to believe it's all the fault of those asians who run sweatshops, but I just watched yet another documentary on China, comparing lifestyles and working conditions to 20 years ago, and it seems the vast majority of asians are living a far better standard than they ever have.

It's all relative. We have become so accustomed to having the highest salaries, lowest work hours, and most generous benefits in the world, that we just can't imagine living with less. And anybody that does is a slave. But we're all to eager to get that €150 smart phone or €199 led tv, which we could never possibly produce at that price.

Slaves? Well, it's all relative.
Stupid? Apparently not.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 4th 2013 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 9:01 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
They got stuffed the other night! But I read in the Spanish newspaper it was the ref what did it, so that's OK.
Oh... that's ok then.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
Oh... that's ok then.
Yes, penalised Spain with yellow cards but let those beastly Brazilians get away with murder.
http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/20...307010030.html
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, penalised Spain with yellow cards but let those beastly Brazilians get away with murder.
http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/20...307010030.html
Wonder which game that guy was watching ?
I thought they were lucky to get off with only the one red for what was a shocking tackle when the game was virtually over anyway.
They were chucking their handbags around like they were going out of fashion earlier on and got away very lightly I thought.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by scampicat
My husband always says my limited Spanish is spoken with a West Midlands accent. My argument is that the people where I lived spoke it with an Andaluz accent , so what's the difference?
many of the SP's my BH works with are not from Andalucia, but even those who come from other parts of A say that the Granada villages don't speak proper, more a gutter SP. Considering some of the things I have picked up on they could be right, but perhaps Granada is more the Brummie or Essex of Spain.

But its all a great experience