Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is it so hard to buy...

Why is it so hard to buy...

Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future
Default Why is it so hard to buy...

...a simple packet of painkillers? How hard can it be, I thought yesterday as I had a bit of a headache coming on and needed some kind of ibuprofen/paracetamol tablet.

Normally at home, I would go to Tesco's or Boots or even the local garage and pick up a packet, after being faced with a dazzling array of brand name products, own named products, capsules, tablets, soluble tablets, melting caplets.....

But after lots of searching around supermarkets yesterday I discovered that they are only sold in pharmacies in Spain (I haven't lived here that long, so still learning )

And even then, I still couldn't pick a packet off the shelf, I had to ask the man behind the counter, who then went over to a mysterious drawer in a back room and took out a packet of ibuprofen tablets..........like it was some kind of contraband illegal drug or something!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:49 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is it so hard to buy...

Had a similar problem in the UK when I needed to buy some "rubbing alcohol". The supermarkets didn't carry it and when I went to the chemist, he gave me the third degree. Also made sure I understood that I could not drink it
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you have to go to a pharmacy for medicines.

But once you get there, the world is your oyster.

Prescription drugs (if needed) ie diazepan (not only that obviously) etc can be bought half the price.

If you had something in the UK that you need to take, just keep the box and the pharmacist will give you the equivalent, probably for a half of the price.

I hope I don't sound like Amy Whinehouse now... honest, Rehab NO NO NO!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Well ...... yes you do!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Shop around at farmacias as well, we have one near us that will sell, OTC, Amoxicillin antibiotic, the one just a bit further down the road will not, without precription. You can get Paracetamol in 1000mg tablets here, max in the UK is 500, and you get packets of 40.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:29 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Yep you have to go to a pharmacy for medicines.

If you had something in the UK that you need to take, just keep the box and the pharmacist will give you the equivalent, probably for a half of the price.

:

Yes I will go along with that, when we were recently in Spain I bought two inhalors , price £2.50 each , in UK the prescription would have cost £6.80 or there abouts for each item expensive or what
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:44 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Its much better in Spain being able to go to the pharmacy rather than have to go to the doctors! I am on Zinnat (Ceferoxine) antibiotics at the moment and it was great to go direct to the pharmacy rather than sitting in a doctors waiting room forever.

We have the added bonus of living on the border to Portugal. You can get the biggest bottle of Benelyn for 4.50 euros in Portugal!