Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why are a lot of Spanish interiors so ugly?

Why are a lot of Spanish interiors so ugly?

Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are a lot of Spanish interiors so ugly?

Originally Posted by me me
I am sure the old pensioners who cannot afford decent winter footwear, will be really content by seeing BISBAL at a free concert. They will really feel as though there is no "them and us" and will feel that they have been given a real lifeline.

And I don;t know what part of Spain you live in, but to suggest that most job seekers find work off the internet is pushing it a bit.

For most it is a long trek around town asking, or the "enchufe" that gets them hired.
sarcasm doesn't become you dear.

our local town hall "hosts" a jobsearch terminal for jobseekers and they are required to log on so many times a week to do a jobsearch - but then if aren't in that situation you probably don't know everything

and presumably if I was to risk saying how many people travel out of the village into the big city to work, the way buses are standing room only for most of the journey out and back I would be told it was all a figment of my imagination because people in Spain just Do Not travel to get to work.

`

Last edited by Domino; Nov 1st 2012 at 3:39 am.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure the old pensioners who cannot afford decent winter footwear, will be really content by seeing BISBAL at a free concert. They will really feel as though there is no "them and us" and will feel that they have been given a real lifeline.

And I don;t know what part of Spain you live in, but to suggest that most job seekers find work off the internet is pushing it a bit.

For most it is a long trek around town asking, or the "enchufe" that gets them hired.
Not sure where you live, but all the ayuntamientos I know of provide subsidised social clubs, Christmas and feria dinners etc, for the elderly, as well as lots of other concessions, trips out etc. They enjoy the free concerts too, especially the flamenco ones and the street theatre.

Job seekers use the internet not just to look for work, but for online learning especially languages which many see as their only way out. In our nearest town, the council provides internet access for €7 a month. It's not very fast but at least its affordable.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:05 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Not sure where you live, but all the ayuntamientos I know of provide subsidised social clubs, Christmas and feria dinners etc, for the elderly, as well as lots of other concessions, trips out etc. They enjoy the free concerts too, especially the flamenco ones and the street theatre.

Job seekers use the internet not just to look for work, but for online learning especially languages which many see as their only way out. In our nearest town, the council provides internet access for €7 a month. It's not very fast but at least its affordable.

Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:16 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

`
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:01 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
sarcasm doesn't become you dear.

our local town hall "hosts" a jobsearch terminal for jobseekers and they are required to log on so many times a week to do a jobsearch - but then if aren't in that situation you probably don't know everything

`
My friend lost her job in Marbella a couple of years ago, been married to a spaniard for 27 years. When she went to register at the jobcentre she was told to do the jobsearch thing. The system wouldn't take her NIE. When she informed them she got the spanish shrug She is ok now as she got a permanent contract with M&S Marbella. They seem to have employed a lot of bi-lingual Brits. Not sure how a job search terminal would work anyway. with 35% unemployment in Andalucia they could just put them on a blackboard
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:04 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
My friend lost her job in Marbella a couple of years ago, been married to a spaniard for 27 years. When she went to register at the jobcentre she was told to do the jobsearch thing. The system wouldn't take her NIE. When she informed them she got the spanish shrug She is ok now as she got a permanent contract with M&S Marbella. They seem to have employed a lot of bi-lingual Brits. Not sure how a job search terminal would work anyway. with 35% unemployment in Andalucia they could just put them on a blackboard
I wouldn't worry, I think he's been at the cooking sherry.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:52 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

The Marie Antoinette attitude still existes on BE.

I know lots of pensioners who go for subsidised meals, but that does not keep them warm in their own cold draugty homes.

And in Galicia the pensioners would not thank you for a flamenco show, ask Cman it is not a northern thing.

They are often referred to as Gitanadas.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

The Marie Antoinette attitude still existes on BE.

I know lots of pensioners who go for subsidised meals, but that does not keep them warm in their own cold draugty homes.

And in Galicia the pensioners would not thank you for a flamenco show, ask Cman it is not a northern thing.

They are often referred to as Gitanadas.
My father in-law is a huge flamenco fan and used to organise for all the stars of the 70s and 80s to come and play in Oviedo - flamenco is pretty exotic here though, it is almost seen as something foreign

The council do organise trips for the elderly though, to go to Benidorm and the like at subsidised rates

The poor in Spain get very little money from the government, but as long as they are in the right groups and associations then they get lots of social things for free or very cheap. I know that only helps so far, but thats the way it is. La Cruz Roja, Caritas and many other charities do so much good work that the government should be doing

I know that elderly people are respected and show a lot of respect for themselves in Spain. They are always very elegantly dressed, nevermind how much money they may have
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:30 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

I know that elderly people are respected and show a lot of respect for themselves in Spain. They are always very elegantly dressed, nevermind how much money they may have
You haven't seen all the pensioners who come to the Tiempo Libre in Las Chapas. They are all about 4 foot 11 and anything but elegant. All this stuff about pensioners and fiesta dinners etc sounds a bit patronising to me
Old Nov 1st 2012, 6:59 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You haven't seen all the pensioners who come to the Tiempo Libre in Las Chapas. They are all about 4 foot 11 and anything but elegant. All this stuff about pensioners and fiesta dinners etc sounds a bit patronising to me:unsure:
I totally agree, and the thought of having to go cap in hand to the church rolls off the tongue so easily, but in reality the ones that do ask for free handouts are usually mortified at having to do so.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree, and the thought of having to go cap in hand to the church rolls off the tongue so easily, but in reality the ones that do ask for free handouts are usually mortified at having to do so.
You are forgetting to mention that most pensioners have a state pension, which compares pretty well to the UK. There may be a few cases when that hasnt happened, but there are few, and in these cases the vast majority will have family support.

The bigger problem is with younger people who are out of work and dont have family support, particularly the many immigrants who's families are miles away. Unemployment is at 22% among Spaniards and 35% among immigrant groups
Old Nov 1st 2012, 7:17 am
Banned

You are forgetting to mention that most pensioners have a state pension, which compares pretty well to the UK. There may be a few cases when that hasnt happened, but there are few, and in these cases the vast majority will have family support.

The bigger problem is with younger people who are out of work and dont have family support, particularly the many immigrants who's families are miles away. Unemployment is at 22% among Spaniards and 35% among immigrant groups
No I had not forgotten about pensioners getting a pension, but some are on very low ones, or they would not be considered for help from any charity and would not seek it.

I must point out though, you seemed to have changed a lot, now being an expert on the have nots, because if I remember rightly, about a year ago, you did not know of anyone who was struggling or unemployed, as they all had good uni degrees, and you used to post about it on a regular basis.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must point out though, you seemed to have changed a lot, now being an expert on the have nots, because if I remember rightly, about a year ago, you did not know of anyone who was struggling or unemployed, as they all had good uni degrees, and you used to post about it on a regular basis.
I've been watching TV and reading the newspapers

And also discussing the topic with friends over here

Nobody I know in Spain (who I've discussed this with) can believe that there really are millions of families with zero income. They all say that they will be earning something on the black economy. Otherwise there would be people starving - and they are not (it seems)
Old Nov 1st 2012, 7:56 am
Banned

I've been watching TV and reading the newspapers
And also discussing the topic with friends over here

Nobody I know in Spain (who I've discussed this with) can believe that there really are millions of families with zero income. They all say that they will be earning something on the black economy. Otherwise there would be people starving - and they are not (it seems)
Or they could be the ones rooting through the bins for something to eat.

And there are plenty of families on zero income.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/201...-ingresos.html

http://www.levante-emv.com/economia/...so/948280.html

http://acampadahuesca.blogspot.com.e...amente-en.html
Obviously not the same newspapers as me.

Although I admit that some of the reports are over a year old, and as we know that over the last year things in Spain have improved a lot (NOT)due to the cuts and whatever.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or they could be the ones rooting through the bins for something to eat.

And there are plenty of families on zero income.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/201...-ingresos.html

http://www.levante-emv.com/economia/...so/948280.html

http://acampadahuesca.blogspot.com.e...amente-en.html
Obviously not the same newspapers as me.

Although I admit that some of the reports are over a year old, and as we know that over the last year things in Spain have improved a lot (NOT)due to the cuts and whatever.
There are plenty of people on zero official income

That is a key difference!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.