Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why keep moving a Spanish question to site feedback!

Why keep moving a Spanish question to site feedback!

Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why keep moving a Spanish question to site feedback!

Yep. They've done it again.
If you are interested in the classifieds question. Please go there. I don't want to annoy anyone but really. Why can't we discuss it here!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why keep moving a Spanish question to site feedback!

Originally Posted by angiescarr
If you are interested in the classifieds question. Please go there. I don't want to annoy anyone but really. Why can't we discuss it here!
They've done it because there it's lost and people don't see negative comments on a regular basis.

I think it's an on-going issue that has not ever been seriously looked at - a number of people have mentioned it yet it is deemed as 'not important'.

How can we improve the site if such (suggested) improvements are simply ignored and hidden?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
They've done it because there it's lost and people don't see negative comments on a regular basis.

I think it's an on-going issue that has not ever been seriously looked at - a number of people have mentioned it yet it is deemed as 'not important'.

How can we improve the site if such (suggested) improvements are simply ignored and hidden?
Agreed. They may have a moved arrow.... But that's only until they drop off the radar. Which is quickly!
I've got my watch out to time how long it takes to get rid of this one as well
I'm not a negative person, so would always tend to put forward positive suggestions as a first resort but this is frustrating. I'm not knocking the site. Just suggesting that there's a need in Spain that British Expats Spanish forum would be best placed to serve.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's a site related issue, not just a Spain one.

No one is hiding anything. If that was the case the thread would just be deleted wouldn't it.

With regards to your other thread I am monitoring but won't respond at this point in order that others may share their thoughts. Sometimes if I respond to quickly it tends to shut the conversation down and to avoid that I tend to try and wait a little first.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
Because it's a site related issue, not just a Spain one.

No one is hiding anything. If that was the case the thread would just be deleted wouldn't it.

With regards to your other thread I am monitoring but won't respond at this point in order that others may share their thoughts. Sometimes if I respond to quickly it tends to shut the conversation down and to avoid that I tend to try and wait a little first.
Thanks for waiting and for monitoring. I too wanted others in Spain to be able to share (as you mentioned). If you read the other thread you'll see why I think it's a Spain issue and may also be relevent to the ROW rather than the other way around.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth (and I'm no techie, just have a weird faith in it) I would have thought an answer - and one I'd be far keener on than the existing system - would be to have sub-forum type classifieds (within areas, such as Spain or maybe Europe if it had to be slightly widened) which would then make the ads far more relevant to those of us using 'areas'; BUT that the current worldwide classifieds be retained, advertising all classifieds from wherever, for anyone happy to browse wherever for whatever
- and given the importance of advertising, I'd have thought there would be advertisers keen on localised advertising just as much as global and vice versa - I mean the paid-for type that pays for BE
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:35 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree & would expect to see Spanish related Adds on the Spanish section. (I assume that this is what the discussion is about)
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:03 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible idea. I personally think the whole issue with adverts is a barbed one, can you imagine if any of a certain circle of posters on the Spanish forum got stung or something happened that they weren't happy with while answering to a classified? Jeez, the bitching and moaning would be intolerable and it will all be BE's fault... oh yeah, all theirs!

What's wrong with ebay anuncios surely thats local? Craigslist is a bit dodgy I know but hell, it has worked for years and there are plenty of places out there with their own classified lists.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Terrible idea. I personally think the whole issue with adverts is a barbed one, can you imagine if any of a certain circle of posters on the Spanish forum got stung or something happened that they weren't happy with while answering to a classified? Jeez, the bitching and moaning would be intolerable and it will all be BE's fault... oh yeah, all theirs!

What's wrong with ebay anuncios surely thats local? Craigslist is a bit dodgy I know but hell, it has worked for years and there are plenty of places out there with their own classified lists.
OK maybe the sales section is too much to handle for most people and for the mods...........but what about swaps/giveaways and swapped skills? This kind of thing is more relevant between Brits than it is to ebay... or even the underused freecycle groups we have around here. Brits helping Brits out. Isn't that what British Expats is all about?
BTW someone told me there aren't enough members to make it worthwhile. How many are we??
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK maybe the sales section is too much to handle for most people and for the mods...........but what about swaps/giveaways and swapped skills? This kind of thing is more relevant between Brits than it is to ebay... or even the underused freecycle groups we have around here. Brits helping Brits out. Isn't that what British Expats is all about?
BTW someone told me there aren't enough members to make it worthwhile. How many are we??
Look at the bottom of the page. Sometimes we have 10 people on line, sometimes twenty. Many scattered around a very large country, and I guess a relatively small number would be selling or buying.

For what it's worth ... my personal opinion FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, is that it's not worth it. It causes grief in so many ways. I've done it on my own forum that is far busier than the Spanish section here (with anything up to 60 people online) about 18 months ago. We're now considering closing it down.

Firstly, it was causing disputes between members. The description of goods was not always correct, and unlike ebay we had no way of controlling payments. Once the transaction was done, that was it. There was no way back.

Secondly, it caused disruption on the forum, because people would post up saying that "member X" was untrustworthy and should be banned.

Thirdly, even though we put a disclaimer on the forum telling people we were not responsible for the transactions, when anything went wrong we were expected to put it right ... even though we had no way of doing that other than banning someone for being dishonest based on someone elses word.

And finally (and most importantly for us on our forum), somehow it detracted from the overall reason for the forum being there and we had many detrimental comments from members.

So from personal expewrience thats how it actually effected our forum.

Otherwise, I have seen it on another expat forum, and most of what goes on there seems to be commercially related stuff from premium members. The actual members dont seem to use it much, because they realise that the distances involved between posters actually means that the interest that they get will be limited to a handful of posters in their immediate area. Add to that the skills swap idea, then we have to consider the questions that are asked on here regularly ... are they insured, are they legal, who is responsible in the case of something going wrong.

And in answer to your original thread question ....... splashing forum related questions all over the forums is not useful or helpful for getting things sorted or recognised. Right at the start I suggested to you that you contact admin and ask them to consider your thoughts because the mods cant do it. I'm not sure if you did this or not.

In general though, I will continue to remove site feedback threads to the place where everyone else in the forums posts, because that's where they should be to get the attention of those that can actually do something about it.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think that Spain is too large for Brits to buy items from each other. Payments, delivery or collection would not be easy as we are all dispersed throughout the country. In areas where there are a large number of Brits this may seem like a great idea but if you look at where posters live when you are scanning the different threads you start to realise how scattered members of this forum actually are. For example I think that the nearest ex-pats to me are 25 km in one direction, 40 km in another and 80 km the other. Those are three posters who reply to threads regularly.

Surely local papers or any ex-pat forums that cover a smaller area would be more suitable for selling or exchanging. People in a smaller area would be better fixed for delivery or collection and then the cash could be handed over to stop difficulties with payments.

Rosemary
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

For what it's worth ... my personal opinion FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, is that it's not worth it. It causes grief in so many ways. I've done it on my own forum that is far busier than the Spanish section here (with anything up to 60 people online) about 18 months ago. We're now considering closing it down.

Firstly, it was causing disputes between members. The description of goods was not always correct, and unlike ebay we had no way of controlling payments. Once the transaction was done, that was it. There was no way back.

Secondly, it caused disruption on the forum, because people would post up saying that "member X" was untrustworthy and should be banned.

Thirdly, even though we put a disclaimer on the forum telling people we were not responsible for the transactions, when anything went wrong we were expected to put it right ... even though we had no way of doing that other than banning someone for being dishonest based on someone elses word.

And finally (and most importantly for us on our forum), somehow it detracted from the overall reason for the forum being there and we had many detrimental comments from members.

Your argument is so flawed. If this were true then you wouldn't have a classified section at all!

We are simply asking to improve what is already there - not to introduce something new.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Your argument is so flawed. If this were true then you wouldn't have a classified section at all!

We are simply asking to improve what is already there - not to introduce something new.
I suspect that a majority of the people who post on here have NEVER visited the classifieds, I've visited once, but as this is a world forum there ws so much to wade throiugh, BUT the rate of posting of classifieds is so little that it would be a very sparse forum, even if country oriented. As Mitzy says, there is no protection for buyers or sellers from unscrupulous advertisers. Much better to leave those things to established sites such as e bay. Perhaps a simpler option would be to close the classifieds section of BE down, and see just what sort of outcry there was.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 11:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Flawed No, I think you misunderstand. The Classified section on here has nothing to do with me. I didnt introduce it, nor do I ever go there. I agree with the points made by the Oddities above.

I was talking about MY forum. We introduced a classified section because people asked for it. Eighteen months down the road we are removing it completely because of the hassle it causes and because members have complained about it.

So my "flawed" argument is based on actually what happened, not what might happen
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps someone should do a map of Spain and have all the Spain members put a pin in where they are, similar to what Matt did a few years ago in "the where are you" sticky thread.
Then people would see how big Spain is and how few members there are and what a waste of time it would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.