Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why health insurance is needed when working abroad

Why health insurance is needed when working abroad

Old May 16th 2012, 11:07 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why health insurance is needed when working abroad

Very sad story this. I hope the family gets the money together to take their daughter back home (in this case Granada)

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/l...n_haemorrhage/

http://www.abc.es/20120516/espana/ab...205160920.html

We never know what is around the corner...
Old May 16th 2012, 11:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why health insurance is needed when working abroad

A very sad case.

Obviously EHIC would not cover repatriation or relatives expenses, but I was not aware that there was a limit to emergency hospital care provided by the card?
Old May 16th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

A very sad story, but the EHIC ought to be sufficient for 99.9% of claims whilst abroad.
Hindsight, ESP, whatever, you just can't take out insurance to cover all eventualities.
And if you are working in a foreign country then why aren't you paying into the foreign country's NHS system?

May as well insure yourself against a lightning strike.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Very sad story this. I hope the family gets the money together to take their daughter back home (in this case Granada)

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/l...n_haemorrhage/

http://www.abc.es/20120516/espana/ab...205160920.html

We never know what is around the corner...
hang on a min...........

the EHIC is for holidays, right??

& this poor girl was legally living & working in the UK, right?

since the UK NHS is resident based , as a legal resident, shouldn't she simply be entitled to all healthcare on the same basis as any other legal resident
Old May 16th 2012, 12:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

As I read the story she is a 25 year old student.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Ah, well spotted. It was the "she helps teach Spanish" at the local college that made me think she was working (full-time)

Mrs Clayton said she hopes Marina’s story will inspire more students studying abroad to invest in Health insurance.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Ah, well spotted. It was the "she helps teach Spanish" at the local college that made me think she was working (full-time)
either way - still legally resident in the UK.................. not on holiday

edit - this was bugging me, so I looked it up

from here
Students from European Economic Area (EEA) countries or Switzerland

Students are encouraged to carry a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their home country, and will need to have this card to access free treatment if their course of study is part time or less than 6 months (and not substantially funded by the UK Government). The EHIC entitles them to all medically necessary treatment during their stay free of charge.
so if the course is either part time or for less than 6 months, then the EHIC is what she needs - but it does say she's covered for medically necessary treatment during their stay free of charge. even if that is the case

although that wouldn't get her home

Last edited by lynnxa; May 16th 2012 at 1:14 pm.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by lynnxa
either way - still legally resident in the UK.................. not on holiday
Well according to the story she's not covered

She added: “I just wish all colleges and universities would ensure that these students have the correct health insurance.
Whether this has always been the case, or it's part of the general cutting-back, I don't know.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Well according to the story she's not covered

Whether this has always been the case, or it's part of the general cutting-back, I don't know.
I was editing as you posted - look at my amended post

even that though indicates she should be covered - unless looking after someone in a coma isn't considered medically necessary!
Old May 16th 2012, 1:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I was editing as you posted - look at my amended post

even that though indicates she should be covered - unless looking after someone in a coma isn't considered medically necessary!
From your link it seems that she would have been covered had the course been less than 6 months. From the abc article I'm guessing the course was for longer, and she'd just got to the 6 month stage, so was no longer covered.

Marina apenas levaba medio año en Inglaterra, hasta donde había marchado para buscarse un futuro con una especie de beca que le permitía trabajar dando clases de español y completar sus estudios de Traducción en el instituto de Colchester.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

From your link it seems that she would have been covered had the course been less than 6 months. From the abc article I'm guessing the course was for longer, and she'd just got to the 6 month stage, so was no longer covered.
but surely if it's a longer course she'd be resident???

I'm going to do some digging

(anything is better than tidying up/editing my course book for proper publication)
Old May 16th 2012, 1:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

recently my UK local paper printed the "sad" story of a Pakistani child that came over to the UK with his mother in Sept on a 6 months visit.
In January child was rushed to hospital with serious illness, uncle took responsibility for putting child into hospital.
He contacted the newspaper to complain because the hospital had told him he would be liable for £1500 plus any ongoing costs for the treatment.
He had assumed that as he was paying in to the system that any/all his family from whatever country would be able to access the NHS for free.

I know nothing about insurance costs other than those policies we have, but they don't appear to be too onerous when visiting another country.

Better to have too much or duplicated cover than nothing at all.

Understand the Granada local government are considering providing financial support to the family who are also receiving donations from many kindly locals.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

but surely if it's a longer course she'd be resident???

I'm going to do some digging

(anything is better than tidying up/editing my course book for proper publication)
I suspect the real problem is the cost of repatriation, which could well be over £10000, this is what she is NOT covered for, but a specific insurance policy would cover it. Sh obviously hasn't registered as living in the UK, if she had, and been on the electoral roll, then she would have her medical expenses fully covered, but NOT the repatriation, nor any expenses incurred by her mother who is over here.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
recently my UK local paper printed the "sad" story of a Pakistani child that came over to the UK with his mother in Sept on a 6 months visit.
In January child was rushed to hospital with serious illness, uncle took responsibility for putting child into hospital.
He contacted the newspaper to complain because the hospital had told him he would be liable for £1500 plus any ongoing costs for the treatment.
He had assumed that as he was paying in to the system that any/all his family from whatever country would be able to access the NHS for free.

I know nothing about insurance costs other than those policies we have, but they don't appear to be too onerous when visiting another country.

Better to have too much or duplicated cover than nothing at all.

Understand the Granada local government are considering providing financial support to the family who are also receiving donations from many kindly locals.
Why would anyone assume that the NHS would be free for their relatives are not British citizens,who come to the UK to visit for a holiday?

The family should have had holiday health insurance, because a lot can happen in a 6month visit.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

NHS for students:

http://www.studystay.com/htm/essenti...nt_health2.htm

Essentially if a course is over 6 months duration then you are entitled to the same free NHS treatment as any other UK citizen for the entire period.

EHIC's should not come into it so something is wrong with the reporting of this story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.