Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why does my TV buzz

Why does my TV buzz

Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future
Default Why does my TV buzz

Ever since we recently connected our LCD TV (using a scart lead) to an ONO box for cable TV the TV buzzes.

It gets worse when we use the TV volume control to turn up the sound; so we can 'get rid of it' by turning the TV sound down.

However, we can't always get the sound level we need just using the cable box volume control i.e. sometimes to get a programme loud enough we have to turn up the TV and put up with the buzz.

Anyone had the same problem?

Does anyone know why this is happening and, more importantly, what can we do to fix it?

Ta muchly in advance if you can help with this.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:34 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does my TV buzz

Tried changing the scart lead for a new one ??

Sounds like an earthing or induction problem - but thats from the old days before all the scart's and things
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Pavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant future

I think Domino is right. There are a lot of poor quality scart leads on the market. Some of them have connecting pins which are not held in place securely within the body of the scart plug and therefore don't make a good connection when the plug is pushed into the socket.
I would be inclined to replace it with a high quality version with gold plated connecting pins.
Good luck with it anyway.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

New scart lead seems the best idea. Also you could try to move the TV as far away as possible away from the other equipment. I Had to do that with audio equipment with speakers away from receiver. Turned out the speaker leads were acting as an antenna and picking up some kind of signal, had to fit parasitic beads. Would try the scart lead first though!
Pete
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why does my TV buzz

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
New scart lead seems the best idea. Also you could try to move the TV as far away as possible away from the other equipment. I Had to do that with audio equipment with speakers away from receiver. Turned out the speaker leads were acting as an antenna and picking up some kind of signal, had to fit parasitic beads. Would try the scart lead first though!
Pete
Is that what they call them I got four with my new tele and they have been in the polly bag ever since. No problems wth sound though. So perhaps don't need them.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Is that what they call them I got four with my new tele and they have been in the polly bag ever since. No problems wth sound though. So perhaps don't need them.
How about sending them to OP
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why does my TV buzz

Originally Posted by Pavlo
I think Domino is right. There are a lot of poor quality scart leads on the market. Some of them have connecting pins which are not held in place securely within the body of the scart plug and therefore don't make a good connection when the plug is pushed into the socket.
I would be inclined to replace it with a high quality version with gold plated connecting pins.
Good luck with it anyway.
We had a scart lead problem where one pin retreated back as the lead was plugged in and came out as it was withdrawn. Being a bodgit bloke I stripped the case off the lead and made it secure and that cured the problem (not buzzing).So start there try a scart you know works on another set or a neighbors lead. If that works then bodge your own or get a good quality gold plated one. If its not the scart look at the "speakers" next then perhaps any aerial leads, if thats not it try the mains lead and "beads".

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jun 10th 2011 at 10:49 am.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the help. I feel like Chris Tarrant is about to pop up and say "95% of the audience think it is D- buy a new scart plug" .

I'd swear we used to have one of the posh ones, but can I find it??? Ah well, off to the shops ...

Ta
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

In the "good old days" you could play with that humming by putting your hand or fingers on the offending item and simple "hand inductance" would allow you to make it louder\softer but never cure it
This can be caused by unshielded audio cable being run adjacent to, on top of\under a mains cable, especially if over more than a metre or two

a ferrite ring or two around a Cat 5 cable can cure crosstalk and echo on voip

Let us know if there are any further problems. If problem persists and only one item has been changed i.e. television, then there could be a problem with the television as not everything new works perfectly.

HTH
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops!!!!

Go so carried away watching the non-humming () telly that I forgot to log on to update on progress.

New, posh scart did the trick. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.

A or a for each of you.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:06 am

Glad to hear it is all resolved to your obvious satisfaction

This may be 2011 but the old problems from the 1960's still keep coming up with all this "new" technology

Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:22 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alig2010
Thanks for all the help. I feel like Chris Tarrant is about to pop up and say "95% of the audience think it is D- buy a new scart plug" .

I'd swear we used to have one of the posh ones, but can I find it??? Ah well, off to the shops ...

Ta
what happen , there could be one more problem ... tells and can fill you in
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alig2010
Ooops!!!!

Go so carried away watching the non-humming () telly that I forgot to log on to update on progress.

New, posh scart did the trick. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.

A or a for each of you.
Hi Jurdy, thanks for the offer but it is all sorted now
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:58 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

so was it the lead ? you can fix them ,
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Of course when we all have nice shiny new HDTVs, Sky HD/Freesat HD boxes and upscaling DVD/Bluray players the problem will go away as the HDMI cable will replace that awful SCART cable - probably the worst plug design in the history of electronics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.