Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do you live here if you hate it so much

Why do you live here if you hate it so much

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do you live here if you hate it so much

Seems to me a number of people here just dont have a good thing to say about Spain and everything in the UK is absolutely wonderful ..... its like reverse rose tinted glasses syndrome it seems as some of it is so wrong.

There are things I dont like about Spain, and some things in the UK I dont like, but at the end of the day its a package so I accept it.

Maybe you made a mistake coming here in the first place, I dont know, but it seems all that can be done is winge about it

At the risk of being controversial, why stay if you dislike it that much!

<<Runs off to cover his goolies for the kicking he is about to receive>>
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:22 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you live here if you hate it so much

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Seems to me a number of people here just dont have a good thing to say about Spain and everything in the UK is absolutely wonderful ..... its like reverse rose tinted glasses syndrome it seems as some of it is so wrong.

There are things I dont like about Spain, and some things in the UK I dont like, but at the end of the day its a package so I accept it.

Maybe you made a mistake coming here in the first place, I dont know, but it seems all that can be done is winge about it

Perhaps..."they" cannot sell their house?
I am ducking with you on this one!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Perhaps..."they" cannot sell their house?
I am ducking with you on this one!
Thats a fair comment
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Living in UK and reading a selection of forums dedicated to living in Spain, I find it mainly the reverse! Most haven't got a good word to say about YUK, as they like to refer to it. But many will be unable to sell even if they wanted to, with more than a million properties unsold, it ain't easy. Assuming they did sell, many would be unable to get back onto the property ladder in a lot of places in UK. It's interesting to read in other forums of people recently arrived in Spain speaking in glowing terms, everything was brilliant, and now a few years later, the same people want to move back. Do they just "fall out of love" with Spain? Do their personal circumstances change? I have met a lot of disillusioned Brits, and others seemingly still loving the dream, I guess it takes all sorts. Like you, I like a lot about both countries, but will continue to spend time in Spain rather than live there.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:41 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by agoreira
It's interesting to read in other forums of people recently arrived in Spain speaking in glowing terms, everything was brilliant, and now a few years later, the same people want to move back. Do they just "fall out of love" with Spain? Do their personal circumstances change? I have met a lot of disillusioned Brits, and others seemingly still loving the dream, I guess it takes all sorts. Like you, I like a lot about both countries, but will continue to spend time in Spain rather than live there.
Maybe they didnt research well, or moved here to escape something ... who knows.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Maybe those British expats who really do live in Spain as opposed to A.N. OTHER contributer who really just do not live in the real world are fed up with those banging on how bluddy marvelous it is in Spain.

People move within their own country and abroad (and back again) for so many different reasons.

So why oh why use that old chestnut of must be unhappy cos cant sell a house reason to stifle debate ???????????
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair I think the current economic climate is leaving a lot of people stranded where they don't want to be. My situation is a little different as I left my job in Madrid a couple of years ago as (partly medical) my partner was unable to join me there. Since then I've found the jobs market in the UK to be dire and am now jobless and forced into "scrounging" off the state. If I was able to get a job back in Madrid (funnily enough the only interviews I've had recently were for jobs there, but unfortunately I wasn't accepted) I'd be back like a shot as I far prefer the lifestyle there (so put me down as an ex-expat who plans to be one again). However despite this love of things Spain, I accept there are good things about the UK, and I know I've mentioned them here - tea, roast Sunday lunches, desserts, beer gardens, even the climate (I tend to wilt under the summer sun in Spain). I actually feel sorry for those whose situation is so bad they can't find one good word to say about the country or people they currently live with. I just hope that it's not too long before the economies pick up and we can all follow our dreams again.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Maybe those British expats who really do live in Spain as opposed to A.N. OTHER contributer who really just do not live in the real world are fed up with those banging on how bluddy marvelous it is in Spain.

People move within their own country and abroad (and back again) for so many different reasons.

So why oh why use that old chestnut of must be unhappy cos cant sell a house reason to stifle debate ???????????
So why do they stay if they don`t like it then ?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming they did sell, many would be unable to get back onto the property ladder in a lot of places in UK.
I have been considering moving for some time now, and my property will go on the market in the very near future priced to sell ( I think ) .

So I have been looking at property prices, near my present location and in Portugal, but in the last couple of days I have also checked out UK. I am looking at areas where I have lived before and personally they are cheap.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I have been considering moving for some time now, and my property will go on the market in the very near future priced to sell ( I think ) .
That's often the sticking point though, what a seller thinks is a good price is not always what a buyer thinks is a good price!But good luck! I know someone selling at a greatly reduced price and nobody has even been to look in the last 2 years, he's desperate to sell.
So I have been looking at property prices, near my present location and in Portugal, but in the last couple of days I have also checked out UK. I am looking at areas where I have lived before and personally they are cheap.
Yes, our ex neighbours moved to inland Portugal and it seemed cheap enough. UK prices have gone up for the fourth month on the trot, better get in quick!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Do their personal circumstances change? I have met a lot of disillusioned Brits, and others seemingly still loving the dream, I guess it takes all sorts. Like you, I like a lot about both countries, but will continue to spend time in Spain rather than live there.
I think when living between two or more countries, you get to appreciate the good points of each much more and not dwell on the negatives too much.
Possibly being in each one when conditions are best also helps in that regard.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, nowhere is perfect, and some can't grasp that. Equally the old rose tinteds distort reasoning, and dear god, if you had them on when you moved out, shouldn't you take them off before you move back?

My favourite is the way some people describe the UK as 'perfect' It has the 'perfect climate' I have seen posted a couple of times.

Perfect for growing mushrooms, maybe...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest that they don't really hate it. It's just that there are a lot of joyless people out there who's biggest pleasure in life is finding fault. Wherever they lived, they'd grumble about it - not because it's bad (or worse than anywhere else) but simply because it's in their nature.
[pop psychology mode = on]Also, it may be that they are dissatisfied with some aspect of their life that they are unable to, or scared to change and that whinging on about something else is their release. Some people take to drink, others find solace in food, or chocolate, or pets and some people berate their lot to anyone who'll listen.[off]
At least when they moan on the internet, no-one is forced to listen to them.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by pete_l
I'd suggest that they don't really hate it. It's just that there are a lot of joyless people out there who's biggest pleasure in life is finding fault. Wherever they lived, they'd grumble about it - not because it's bad (or worse than anywhere else) but simply because it's in their nature.
[pop psychology mode = on]Also, it may be that they are dissatisfied with some aspect of their life that they are unable to, or scared to change and that whinging on about something else is their release. Some people take to drink, others find solace in food, or chocolate, or pets and some people berate their lot to anyone who'll listen.[off]
At least when they moan on the internet, no-one is forced to listen to them.
Maybe you're right
Me ... well in real life I avoid such people as negativity can be catching.

I just think its sad that, as you say, people will pick out the negative things they see in Spain and let it blot out everything else. Maybe when they get back to the UK they will do exactly the same thing.

And to be honest some of the claims that have been made on here recently are just plain ridiculous ... or is that me living in my little bubble in Northern CB again.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a case of the grass is always greener.....!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.