Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why are the British so attracted to Spain?

Why are the British so attracted to Spain?

Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are the British so attracted to Spain?

I think the guy writing this article nails it (for the majority). Weather, accessibility, friendliness of the locals, and variety (sea, mountains, city or campo)

http://www.culturespain.com/2012/03/...cted-to-spain/

Although there are other things that I find attractive, I'd add just one other attraction for most Brits - the nightlife.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are the British so attracted to Spain?

Are Brits still attracted to Spain though? The link you gave is just a commercial site. The Spanish put out stats that tourism has increased, they have been putting out these figures for years and yet more hotels have been closing down and it is harder to rent out property. Logically they should be pretty busy as a lot of popular destinations are now off limits, Egypt, Tunisia etc.

Long distance holidays are very competitive now. Spain is also looked at at being downmarket with the trendies, they prefer Tuscany, Provence etc. Spain needs to improve it's image, push cultural events etc. instead of sun sea and Sangria, which is what they did in the UK and Germany recently.

Most places have nightlife, not exculsive to Spain!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:49 pm
TLM
Just Joined

TLM is an unknown quantity at this point

For me initially it is the weather.

I know the winters can be cold in Spain but they arent damp & dank like the UK winters.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Spain needs to improve it's image, push cultural events etc. instead of sun sea and Sangria, which is what they did in the UK and Germany recently.
The Spanish tourism office promote Spain to two types of people
1. Cheap sea and sun for the masses
2. Unique high quality city breaks for the well-to-dos. Often linked to history, architecture and food

Basically the posh go North or to the cities and the rest go to the Costas
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is still attractive to Brits but it is just the downturn that is the problem both Spain and the UK. Not so cheap as it was in Spain and people not earning same money in the UK. The country itself hasn't changed as it weather same beaches same countryside same massive diversity in landscapes etc given the size and make up of Spain. It will be just as popular if and when this mess turns itself around but when that will be?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:35 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
The Spanish tourism office promote Spain to two types of people
1. Cheap sea and sun for the masses
2. Unique high quality city breaks for the well-to-dos. Often linked to history, architecture and food

Basically the posh go North or to the cities and the rest go to the Costas
Yes I think you are correct. They should concentrate on the latter. The tattoo and the stud in the belly will come to Fuengi anyway.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TLM
For me initially it is the weather.

I know the winters can be cold in Spain but they arent damp & dank like the UK winters.
Take away the sun you'd see very few Brits in Spain, very few have any interest in the culture or the country itself. Right, never seen a damp house in Spain.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose the sun is a big draw
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:02 pm
Banned

Spain is super in late May and June. Winter holidays forget it, like the rest of the Med. It will be better than the UK but not exactly tropical is it. Long haul is the only way to go if you want to find real summer weather and won't cost much more.

I know what you mean about the culture, lots of brits talk about it, they move to Spain for it...what do they do, sit in a bar with other ex-pats, go to the once a year fiesta...that is culture
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

some of us had relatives who died here during the Napoleonic Wars ??
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is super in late May and June. Winter holidays forget it, like the rest of the Med. It will be better than the UK but not exactly tropical is it. Long haul is the only way to go if you want to find real summer weather and won't cost much more.

I know what you mean about the culture, lots of brits talk about it, they move to Spain for it...what do they do, sit in a bar with other ex-pats, go to the once a year fiesta...that is culture
oh dear Jacky, theres a whole team of ski instructors just about to commit suicide. This winter has been an excellent year for those using the Pradollano facilities on the Sierra Nevada for some of the highest altitude skiing in Europe.
Even today there is still snow up there.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, I'd like a quid for every post I have read on these type of forums that says something like, "we don't want to be surrounded by fellow Brits, we want to mix with the Spanish, send the kids to Spanish school, learn the language etc etc" Do they? Very very few.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Well, if you are talking about wanting to live in Spain, then I think many people are attracted to Spain out of a misguided notion that life is easier here. When unemployed, or working in a boring, low paid job, they think that whatever people say about life in Spain, it has to be better than the life they are living in the UK.
There are still too many people intent on moving to Spain who haven't done any real research about the country, haven't bothered to learn the language, and have the view that they will get by somehow.
And of course the sun.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yeh, I'd like a quid for every post I have read on these type of forums that says something like, "we don't want to be surrounded by fellow Brits, we want to mix with the Spanish, send the kids to Spanish school, learn the language etc etc" Do they? Very very few.
Originally Posted by Jenny22
Well, if you are talking about wanting to live in Spain, then I think many people are attracted to Spain out of a misguided notion that life is easier here. When unemployed, or working in a boring, low paid job, they think that whatever people say about life in Spain, it has to be better than the life they are living in the UK.
There are still too many people intent on moving to Spain who haven't done any real research about the country, haven't bothered to learn the language, and have the view that they will get by somehow.
And of course the sun.
I think Jenny's right in her general assessment of why.... though as with everything, it depends.
20-30, no family or young family - need work almost certainly
30-40, probably family, various ages - need work almost certainly
40-50, probably family, likely older child upwards - depends on personal work circumstances/ may have business?
50+ - maybe early retirees? Maybe not? Business? Work not an issue or could commute back to UK
60+ probably pension in place, health not yet an issue
thereafter - who's to say

And then there's your housing situation........

None of which takes on board Jenny's other salient points namely scant research and disregard of prioritising language skills. The importance of these will vary according to personal circumstances. So it's all very much such the piece of string and see

Maybe the only way to know would be to run a BE poll and also ensure someone always asks new posters wanting to relocate the big question WHY?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny22
And of course the sun.

Great post Jenny, I think there are too many poeple saying that they want/need to get away from the boredom/darkness etc of the UK.

There is often no more to it than wanting sun and to breakout and try somewhere new.

I dont think Spain is necessarily where they want to be,but as it is the cheapest to get to, and with no entry requirements as OZ NZ USA Canada etc, it is the obviouls choice.

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think Jenny's right in her general assessment of why.... though as with everything, it depends.
20-30, no family or young family - need work almost certainly
30-40, probably family, various ages - need work almost certainly
40-50, probably family, likely older child upwards - depends on personal work circumstances/ may have business?
50+ - maybe early retirees? Maybe not? Business? Work not an issue or could commute back to UK
60+ probably pension in place, health not yet an issue
thereafter - who's to say

And then there's your housing situation........

None of which takes on board Jenny's other salient points namely scant research and disregard of prioritising language skills. The importance of these will vary according to personal circumstances. So it's all very much such the piece of string and see

Maybe the only way to know would be to run a BE poll and also ensure someone always asks new posters wanting to relocate the big question WHY?
Another good post, I also feel that research is done in a sort of arse about face way

in a lot of cases, people often ask about, what I would call "trivia" (Trivia depending the on circumstances and the composition of the family) ,wanting a pretty village,more relaxed lifestyle, nice views, surrounded by orange trees, not too many tourists etc.
Of course people who have "paid the dues" and brought up thier children can have all of the above and good luck to them Enjoy.

But quite often posters have teenage children, and in almost all cases there is never any mention of what the children will do in a couple of years time when they finish compulsory education.......I find that unbelievable.

Having seen the desperation of the NINIs, the last thing I would want is to add my kids to that ever growing number.

Some posters dont bother to ask about job opportunities for their children, and with the youth unemployment that we have in Spain that would be my first question

And if the answer was a negative one, it would be my only question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.