Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who works in Gib, living in Spain/Gib?

Who works in Gib, living in Spain/Gib?

Old Apr 10th 2016, 8:42 am
Just Joined

carlalilley78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who works in Gib, living in Spain/Gib?

Sorry i know there have been quite a few questions regarding this but wanted to ask people that have actually made the move working in Gibraltar and either living in Spain or Gib..

How have you found it? Do you live in Gib or Spain? If Spain what area do you live in and how do you find the commute?

We also have 2 girls aged 6 and 8 (Their ages when we go) so we have the question would we prefer them to school in English speaking Gib or State Spanish school...
Anyone that has children at either can you recommend a school and what area it is in.

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who works in Gib, living in Spain/Gib?

Hi
I am one of very few people on this forum with genuine Gibraltar connections

I moved here 40 years ago when the frontier was closed.

However shortly after the frontier opened I purchased a finca in San Roque and regularly commuted.

The commute has varied wildly since the frontier opening, from an easy passage to as much as a twelve or more hour wait.

After Gib built an artificial reef a couple of years ago to protect fish in it's waters from the rape of Spaniards, the Spanish reacted by making the frontier crossing very traumatic.

However recently it has improved although last week there were reported two hour queues.

With reference to your girls they will qualify for free schooling in Gib that follows the UK curriculum if you are resident in Gib.

The biggest complaint about property in Gib is the expense, however this needs to be balanced against commute time and costs.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:00 am
Just Joined

carlalilley78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Hi
I am one of very few people on this forum with genuine Gibraltar connections

I moved here 40 years ago when the frontier was closed.

However shortly after the frontier opened I purchased a finca in San Roque and regularly commuted.

The commute has varied wildly since the frontier opening, from an easy passage to as much as a twelve or more hour wait.

After Gib built an artificial reef a couple of years ago to protect fish in it's waters from the rape of Spaniards, the Spanish reacted by making the frontier crossing very traumatic.

However recently it has improved although last week there were reported two hour queues.

With reference to your girls they will qualify for free schooling in Gib that follows the UK curriculum if you are resident in Gib.

The biggest complaint about property in Gib is the expense, however this needs to be balanced against commute time and costs.
Hi Fredbargate,

Thank you for your helpful response. This is what i wanted people that have/are doing the commute or living in Gib.

I've just watched a place in the sun with someone buying in spain with the commute and it was mentioned you have the option to park at the border (approx Eur4 a day) and walk into Gib, do you know anything about this?

Ideally i would like my daughters to go to a spanish school as it would be great for them to be fluent in another language, my eldest who will be 8 when/if we go is a little bit of a worry as she's very sensitive and not sure how she would adapt to the change.

Thanks again
Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Parking in La Linea and walking over the boarder is an option used by many of the 12,000+ commuters

Although education in Gibraltar is in English, Spanish is the main language of the playgrounds.