Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

:: Who rules the Roost in Spain - men or women ::

:: Who rules the Roost in Spain - men or women ::

Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:11 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default :: Who rules the Roost in Spain - men or women ::

Hi

Sitting in my favourite chair the other night watching one of my favourite dvd`s " Views from a Low Rock in the Peak District " whilst having my 1/2 pint of Real Ale as usual , Mrs BigPete said "hey sweetheart you want any snacks bringing in from the kitchen ?" I said "Yes please sexy bum , do us some Cheese and marmite on toast please" to which she replied " okey dokey " and it got me to thinking !!

Is this a British normal thing with the Guy being the Boss of the house ?

Or am i just so damn nice she likes to spoil me ?

And then i wondered are the Spanish Guys like the Bosses in the relationships ? or are they Namby pamby under the thumb types ?

When i was in Turkey last year , the men are the kings of the house without doubt and i was impressed

So would i be the exception ? or are the Spanish men in charge ?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: :: Who rules the Roost in Spain - men or women ::

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hi

Sitting in my favourite chair the other night watching one of my favourite dvd`s " Views from a Low Rock in the Peak District " whilst having my 1/2 pint of Real Ale as usual , Mrs BigPete said "hey sweetheart you want any snacks bringing in from the kitchen ?" I said "Yes please sexy bum , do us some Cheese and marmite on toast please" to which she replied " okey dokey " and it got me to thinking !!

Is this a British normal thing with the Guy being the Boss of the house ?

Or am i just so damn nice she likes to spoil me ?

And then i wondered are the Spanish Guys like the Bosses in the relationships ? or are they Namby pamby under the thumb types ?

When i was in Turkey last year , the men are the kings of the house without doubt and i was impressed

So would i be the exception ? or are the Spanish men in charge ?
It shows a certain degree of innocence on your part, that you mistake Sexy Bums pandering as a sign of deference. Who chooses how the majority of your money, time, and sweat is expended? Who decides when your purple "motor" is allowed in the "garage"? Who's friends are your friends?
I know you probably think it's you, but that is only because that is what SB wants you to think.
Wake up and smell the Coffee - and I'd bet she chooses that too!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on. I'll ask the wife

seriously though it is very much the man in charge of the Spanish houshold, especially in the older generations.
I know quite a few chaps in the 60-80yr bracket who never lift a finger in the house, except maybe to order another coffee.
And woe betide the lady of the house if the meal is not on the table when he gets back from playing dominoes with his mates. You only have to watch the tv daily news bulletins to hear about the latest wife beating episode
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:00 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
It shows a certain degree of innocence on your part, that you mistake Sexy Bums pandering as a sign of deference. Who chooses how the majority of your money, time, and sweat is expended? Who decides when your purple "motor" is allowed in the "garage"? Who's friends are your friends?
I know you probably think it's you, but that is only because that is what SB wants you to think.
Wake up and smell the Coffee - and I'd bet she chooses that too!
In answer to all your points i can hand on heart say i do

and as for the coffee yes she chooses as i prefer a cup of tea
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by big wheels
Hang on. I'll ask the wife

seriously though it is very much the man in charge of the Spanish houshold, especially in the older generations.
I know quite a few chaps in the 60-80yr bracket who never lift a finger in the house, except maybe to order another coffee.
And woe betide the lady of the house if the meal is not on the table when he gets back from playing dominoes with his mates. You only have to watch the tv daily news bulletins to hear about the latest wife beating episode
Good thats how it should be

ps; except for the beatings bit of course lol

Last edited by Big Pete; Mar 9th 2007 at 12:03 am. Reason: ps added
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to all your points i can hand on heart say i do

and as for the coffee yes she chooses as i prefer a cup of tea
You gullible fool!!!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it may be a generation thing. With the younger generation it is the women who work, sort out the bills, do the shopping etc - we are very good at making the men think they are in control but I think you will find that the women makes most of the decisions

Not sure if it is the same in Spain though - can't see it is much different as the Spanish women I have met are very independent.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:34 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

All my spanish friends seem to have the same sort of relationships as we do "equal"

That is the over forties..

The younger generation more so I think

There are older women, who watching them, seem to rule the roost............the men seem to disappear around ten in the morning and then go home for there lunch around two....................One old guy we know has a time to be home for his food and he is in trouble if he is not ................ he tells us she will hit him on the head with a frying pan if he is not home on time ................ he even tells us about his prima who was hit on the head with the table leg because he was always late..............

I have found little difference in any of the relationships from the UK

So dont worry Big Pete she wont get any funny ideas ..................... I havent ..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gallerie9
All my spanish friends seem to have the same sort of relationships as we do "equal"

That is the over forties..

The younger generation more so I think

There are older women, who watching them, seem to rule the roost............the men seem to disappear around ten in the morning and then go home for there lunch around two....................One old guy we know has a time to be home for his food and he is in trouble if he is not ................ he tells us she will hit him on the head with a frying pan if he is not home on time ................ he even tells us about his prima who was hit on the head with the table leg because he was always late..............

I have found little difference in any of the relationships from the UK

So dont worry Big Pete she wont get any funny ideas ..................... I havent ..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah i know she wont..

Good point about the Generation i agree the young ones today well the men are whimps anyways ! Where as the older generation like my father he ran the show and i think it follows maybe where i get it from ..
And thats how it should be i reckon !!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nah i know she wont..

Good point about the Generation i agree the young ones today well the men are whimps anyways ! Where as the older generation like my father he ran the show and i think it follows maybe where i get it from ..
And thats how it should be i reckon !!
Is it not time for your cheese and marmite toasties now Pete? You don't want to get crumbs in your keyboard.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gallerie9;4501226]...One old guy we know has a time to be home for his food and he is in trouble if he is not ................ he tells us she will hit him on the head with a frying pan if he is not home on time ................QUOTE]

Sadly, this says it all for many women (not only the elderly)...chained to the kitchen sink...
Why do you think so many older women go to mass on Sunday? Praying for a better afterlife, or the saving of their loved one's soul?
Why bother with the frying pan, if he's going to come after you with the carving knife? (I'm not saying all men are demons!)
Makes you think, eh? Zero Tolerance has a long way to go...

Last edited by Carol&John; Mar 10th 2007 at 9:53 am.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:28 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Carol&John;4504349]
Originally Posted by gallerie9
...One old guy we know has a time to be home for his food and he is in trouble if he is not ................ he tells us she will hit him on the head with a frying pan if he is not home on time ................QUOTE]

Sadly, this says it all for many women (not only the elderly)...chained to the kitchen sink...
Why do you think so many older women go to mass on Sunday? Praying for a better afterlife, or the saving of their loved one's soul?
Why bother with the frying pan, if he's going to come after you with the carving knife? (I'm not saying all men are demons!)
Makes you think, eh? Zero Tolerance has a long way to go...

I have a friend who after being married for 30 years and having 5 children eventually left her abusive husband. The final push I believe was when she was taken to the hospital with horrific injuries.
She left the home with nothing but what she stood up in, her children being powerless to help her.
She now lives with her eldest daughter and her family.
I understand from friends and the television that women are abused, but the so are women in the UK. This week a man was imprisoned for killing his 2 children, now that is the ultimate crime against a women.
The old guy I was talking to is adorable and I know his wife as well and she does keep him to times.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gallerie9,
I'm sure the old guy is as adorable as you say!
Sadly, abuse against other people (not only women) happens in every country.
I smiled at the light-hearted tone of the initial post; however, big wheels did mention the press coverage of gender abuse.
It is important to raise awareness of this issue (not just in Spain, I must add). I feel saddened when I hear about one case after another. Yes, this did happen in the past, but it was hushed up.
It wasn't that long ago, I have been told, when divorce was impossible to obtain in Spain, when a woman could be locked up in an asylum on the express order of her husband! "Get Thee to a convent!" and such like...
Am I right or wrong in this belief, anybody?
Regards,
Carol
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:12 pm
this is me

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi gallerie9,
I'm sure the old guy is as adorable as you say!
Sadly, abuse against other people (not only women) happens in every country.
I smiled at the light-hearted tone of the initial post; however, big wheels did mention the press coverage of gender abuse.
It is important to raise awareness of this issue (not just in Spain, I must add). I feel saddened when I hear about one case after another. Yes, this did happen in the past, but it was hushed up.
It wasn't that long ago, I have been told, when divorce was impossible to obtain in Spain, when a woman could be locked up in an asylum on the express order of her husband! "Get Thee to a convent!" and such like...
Am I right or wrong in this belief, anybody?
Regards,
Carol
I have two friends who are in there forties and both have been divorced, from the little experience I have there are quite a few women in our town that have been divorced, most are under the age of 50.
One whom I class as a very good friend, was married with 2 small girls and was left to fend for herself and her children. The father is married to another local girl and has never contributed to the care of the girls. ( she has remarried in the church I hasten to add to a lovely man )
I have no idea about the divorce "get thee to a convent" but I do know that during the renovation of the convent in the town , there were remains of babies found hidden behind walls. A sad consequence of women and men being forced into becoming a nun or a monk, which again was common practice in Catholic countries.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi again,
These women in their forties will most likely be grandaughters of the Franco era. So, look further back, 2 generations perhaps. Not unheard of for a woman to have to leave her country (one of the lucky ones), in order to obtain a divorce. The voices of these women have been silenced for many years, and today the Franco era still is a sensitive subject.
Regards,
Carol
P.S. Jerez - lovely, memories of a first kiss...ahh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.