Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who needs science anyway...

Who needs science anyway...

Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:34 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who needs science anyway...

Two of my favourite products on sale are vitamins for morons and speshul people.

1. Centrium balanced vitamins. Of course as we know full well, unless your vitamin intake is (gawdelpus) 'balanced' you can't possibly survive. I think your head will fall off or something. There is proof. We will draw a veil over the salient fact that if you eat anything with vitamins in, then this will unbalance the balanced vitamins you get from centrium. Presumably when taking them you have to eat only food that does not contain vitamins. We will of course try and avoid the fact that the average Western diet contains far more of all the vitamins that you actually need.

An additional advertised fact is that these will allow all the energy in the food you eat to be released. Personally I think that if they could produce a brand of vitamins that could prevent most of the food energy from being released then they would be onto a world beating product.

2. Well Women vitamins. As we know, women are fragile little creatures who can only survive with their own 'speshul' mix of vitamins that have been properly crafted for them, unlike the bog standard vitamins that men seem to get by on.

If anyone can explain how, for the last few thousand years we have more or less managed to survive as a species without our speshul balanced wellwhatsit vitaminies I would be delighted to hear it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who needs science anyway...

Actually a lot of people are low in vitamin D, especially darker-skinned people living away from the equator.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:50 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

D isn't strictly a vitamin, its a hormone and its production is through a process of the sun converting cholesterol on the skin and is then reabsorbed into the body as the D complex of hormones.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
D isn't strictly a vitamin, its a hormone and its production is through a process of the sun converting cholesterol on the skin and is then reabsorbed into the body as the D complex of hormones.
Correct, it was erroneously named, however it is also found in some foodstuffs and you can take an oral supplement form.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Correct, it was erroneously named, however it is also found in some foodstuffs and you can take an oral supplement form.
Yeah, they also say its one of the only ones that actually does any good. The really funny one is vitamin C, there is almost no evidence that it helps in any way to combat colds... its one of those things where people take it, they get better and they put it down to the Vitamin C... when in truth if they had done nothing, they would have got better.... There is a lot of that sort of false science in Horticulture.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:19 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's also little short of a miracle how the female of the species especially, has survived for tens of thousands of years before Boots the Chemists,Timothy White,the Body Shop,the Cosmetic companies with Fancy French names and all the rest came on the scene with their magic potions and lotions to stop them ageing, make their skin younger and much more beautiful etc.etc.
Just a pity that virtually none of it works, whilst the companies have a licence to print money and laugh all the way to the bank after duping millions of naive women worldwide.
I recall the bbc doing a series of programmes involving controlled tests using a wide variety of very expensive famous brand skin-creams on a number of women for several weeks under strict professional medical supervision to evaluate the products.
At the end of the day,virtually none of them showed any improvement in their skin condition, but almost all of them showed exactly the reverse, strangely enough the most expensive products actually causing the most damage and the cheaper ones,the least.
What they refer to as the anti ageing component was the only thing that served any purpose and in fact is actually the ultra violet protection that can be found in most cheap brands of sun lotion.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:26 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Has someone taken over rugbymatt's profile?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:47 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Has someone taken over rugbymatt's profile?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:57 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

How about the shameful way in which homeopathy products are sold in Boots and other outlets?

Paul Bennett, professional standards director for Boots says there is no evidence they work - "We sell them because people want to buy them - not because they work."

Scandalous.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
How about the shameful way in which homeopathy products are sold in Boots and other outlets?

Paul Bennett, professional standards director for Boots says there is no evidence they work - "We sell them because people want to buy them - not because they work."

Scandalous.
They sell them because consumers are dumb enough to buy them, whilst they can get away with fixing scandalous mark up margins, as with virtually all of the stuff they turn over, much of which is totally useless anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:18 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Because of my wife’s special diet, our fridge is packed full of fresh fruit and vegetables, with not a sausage or beef burger in sight, sadly.

If she took vitamin supplements on top of that lot, she’d explode.

I’ve had strawberries and kiwi fruit for breakfast, but she’s out this morning and I’m tempted to walk down to the English fry-up place to have a fried breakfast for two, just for me. If I need to I can get some ‘well man’ vitamins from the chemist opposite.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:27 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG
Because of my wife’s special diet, our fridge is packed full of fresh fruit and vegetables, with not a sausage or beef burger in sight, sadly.
My heart bleeds for you old son, you have my deepest sympathy.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
They sell them because consumers are dumb enough to buy them, whilst they can get away with fixing scandalous mark up margins, as with virtually all of the stuff they turn over, much of which is totally useless anyway.
Spot on. If you could give clear, demonstrable proof that homeopathy worked, you'd be a famous and wealthy man.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

When my eldest daughter was 4 or 5 years old I thought that I was being a good mum by giving her childrens vitamins. She came out in a huge cold sore that covered the whole lip and part of her nose. Took her to the doctor who said that she was not having enough vitamins in her diet. We talked about what she was eating which was excellent as she was a good eater of good foods and then I said that I had given her the vitamins. Diagnoses....too many vitamins. Stopped the tablets and all was well within days.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 22nd 2011 at 10:26 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:22 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
When my eldest daughter was 4 or 5 years ld I thought that I was being a good mum by giving her childrens vitamins. She came out in a huge cold sore that covered the whole lip and part of her nose. Took her to the doctor who said that she was not having enough vitamins in her diet. We talked about what she was eating which was excellent as she was a good eater of good foods and then I said that I had given her the vitamins. Diagnoses....too many vitamins. Stopped the tablets and all was well within days.

Rosemary
I've said it before. The western diet contains a superabundance of vitamins, and for the average person to take vitamin supplements is to actually court health problems.

Don't do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.