Where's the Astra Satellite?

Where's the Astra Satellite?

Old Sep 21st 2005, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Sammies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where's the Astra Satellite?

Hello Everyone,
My first post on here so treat me gently
We will be moving to Spain when our house sells, we are going to the Merida area, SW Spain inland about 150 miles north of Sevilla. We would like to make use of Sky but have noticed that dishes are almost horizontal. So we will be seriously miffed if we buy a house on a hillside and we have a mountain between us and the satellite we need. So we will take a compass for a rough idea of where the dish needs to point and be thinking it needs to be virtually horizontal. We know we will have to get it set up properly, we are just after a rough idea for now!
1. At which point on a compass is the satellite based on our rough area.

Thanks

Sam
Old Sep 21st 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where's the Astra Satellite?

Hello Sammies,

Try looking at this site it tells you where Astra is, if you know where the footprint you are looking for you will get some Brit TV

Astra TV

This tells you which transponder to use and size of dish

Size of Dish
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Sammies is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be thick,
I'm not a techo whizz, I'll get a nice man who knows along to fit the dish when i get one. Trouble is, if I've got this correct if there's a mountain between me and the satellite i could have a 5m dish and still have problems? I was really after basic information!!!!
Right, please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I stand outside my property, find North, all the satellite are between 19 and 28 degrees east? So is this between 19 and 28 degrees towards east of north. What would really make it simple for me is if i know the dish needed to be pointed in a direction of a compass. So i find north, and the satellite is in a NNE direction Is that a good rough estimate. I'm really sorry to be so basic, I'm just trying to avoid buying a house with a hill between me and the satellite
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

The Astra 2 satellites are situated at 28,2º east of South. You need to find South NOT North then turn about a third of a right-angle to your left.

The dishes may look as though they are almost vertical not horizontal but this is because most dishes are offset and the signal bounces off them at an angle into the LNB so the satellite is actually higher in the sky that the angle of the dish may indicate.

Take a look at this web site for further information.

This site, although intended for caravanners, gives a lot of useful information and this one gives an indication of the dish size required. This map is for reception of Astra 2D which carries all BBC and ITV programmes.

Unfortunately Mérida seems to be in a black hole as far as the contour lines are concerned so in the event of there being no response from anyone living in that area you may need to experiment.

Last edited by Beachcomber; Sep 21st 2005 at 9:39 pm.