Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where would you get the best rate for

Where would you get the best rate for

Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Tommy Gun will become famous soon enough
Default Where would you get the best rate for

sending a money transfer as a deposit for an apartment? Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you get the best rate for

We used HIFX and still do to transfer money, there are others out there but I know these to be excellent.

http://www.hifx.co.uk/

pwwm
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Try your local bank, I got a much better deal with Lloyds than any of the alleged no charge firms when I moved money.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:59 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Try your local bank, I got a much better deal with Lloyds than any of the alleged no charge firms when I moved money.
I agree, my bank, First Direct offered a much better rate than the three currency brokers I had registered with.
I still think it is best to register with more than one broker than ring round for the best rate when you need to transfer the money.

You also need to bear in mind the transfer costs and receiving costs into your Spanish account.

This subject has been discussed on the forum many times so a search may bring up some other suggestions.

Yvonne
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:03 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
I agree, my bank, First Direct offered a much better rate than the three currency brokers I had registered with.
I still think it is best to register with more than one broker than ring round for the best rate when you need to transfer the money.

You also need to bear in mind the transfer costs and receiving costs into your Spanish account.

This subject has been discussed on the forum many times so a search may bring up some other suggestions.

Yvonne
I used Currencies Direct, they did a better rate than the banks, and they made no charges.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I used Currencies Direct, they did a better rate than the banks, and they made no charges.
We used Lloyds/TSB when we did ours and remember you get the business rate not tourist rate when you transfer
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunlover27
We used Lloyds/TSB when we did ours and remember you get the business rate not tourist rate when you transfer
But you have to remember the charges they make. I use Lloyds but they have made a mess of my last transfer and instead of transferring it in pounds to euros, they took the amount as euros leaving me with a shortfall of several hundred pounds. I then had to spend ages on the phone trying to correct it and had to send a new fax with my complaint. I am now going to use Currencies Direct.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
But you have to remember the charges they make. I use Lloyds but they have made a mess of my last transfer and instead of transferring it in pounds to euros, they took the amount as euros leaving me with a shortfall of several hundred pounds. I then had to spend ages on the phone trying to correct it and had to send a new fax with my complaint. I am now going to use Currencies Direct.
My dealings with Currencies Direct were simple and very straightforward, and they transferred the money at the appropriate time, we had bought the euros when the market was high, so they had them a few weeks before transfer, and that's where they make their money, investing that money for the days they have it
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:57 pm
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
We used TORFX. Their charges depend on the amount you send. I think anything above 10,000 has no charge. Well worth a call to chat through your options. 0800 612 9625 or www.torfx.com.
Sharon
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by glynis

Sorry to hear that Glenis, we have had no problems at all and for the amount of money that we transferred we found the charges reasonable
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:53 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
I used my bank, Barclays and they charged me 20 pound for the transfer, they seem to charge that always regardless of the amount you transfer.