Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where Are They?

Where Are They?

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Are They?

Originally Posted by stuboy
Perfect analogy, This is exactly what happened when we suddenly found ourselves in TIO. The humour. We don't get it. A lot of the humour that is used in TIO goes straight over my head.

I think one of Sally's one-liners was 'Wilmore' which means nothing to me. I was a bit annoyed because it was a thread I was enjoying. Perhaps you don't realise how much humour you use is actually American and not British
I agree with you Stuboy, but I think we are flogging a dead horse (hope our cousins across the pond understand that term).

Personally, if I want 'a laugh' I'll watch Mr Bean or Mr Fawlty.
Trading snippets on what is meant to be a serious debating Forum is not me.

Mind you, I've notice that some of the snippet brigade here on PDT seem very happy in their new adopted home.

Last edited by lutonlad; Jun 22nd 2014 at 9:34 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:42 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
I agree with you Stuboy, but I think we are flogging a dead horse (hope our cousins across the pond understand that term).

Personally, if I want 'a laugh' I'll watch Mr Bean or Mr Fawlty.
Trading snippets on what is meant to be a serious debating Forum is not me.

Mind you, I've notice that some of the snippet brigade here on PDT seem very happy in their new adopted home.
Ok... I'll be drawn in. Why has posting snippets or one liners suddenly become bad? I have just had a quick look back at some of your past posts and as I suspected, and I've done the same with a couple of the other complainers, there are more than a couple of occasions when you have replied to more than one post with a one line, a snippet, a quip and even the odd sarcastic comment. I'll be honest. I don't really care that you have, it's not actually that important to my forum enjoyment and how you post, how many words you type or what depth you go into is not what I look for when it comes to reading other peoples posts.

I have a feeling this subject isn't done yet, sadly this corner of the forum never really give up when they get something in their sights which is sad really because I suspect that's why a couple have been banned recently.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Ok... I'll be drawn in. Why has posting snippets or one liners suddenly become bad? I have just had a quick look back at some of your past posts and as I suspected, and I've done the same with a couple of the other complainers, there are more than a couple of occasions when you have replied to more than one post with a one line, a snippet, a quip and even the odd sarcastic comment. I'll be honest. I don't really care that you have, it's not actually that important to my forum enjoyment and how you post, how many words you type or what depth you go into is not what I look for when it comes to reading other peoples posts.

I have a feeling this subject isn't done yet, sadly this corner of the forum never really give up when they get something in their sights which is sad really because I suspect that's why a couple have been banned recently.
Fairly predictable.
Guilty as charged M'lord. Yes, on the odd occasion I (and others) have reverted to that. But speaking for myself, not as a general rule.

I am not against one-word or one-liners Per Se - sometimes they may be genuinely amusing - in the form of banter.

It's the amount and nature of them that I object to. Particularly the group mentality, where people use cryptic remarks, sarcasm or even worse the terms Racist, Fascist (someone that reads the DM or is a Euro-sceptic) to promote their view of the world, rather than engage in debate.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:48 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with appropriate one-liners.

What is wrong is when there is a stream of them which appear to be private 'in' jokes which aren't relevant to the rest of us nor the discussion, and have on a couple of occasions relegated a well-constructed and thoughtful post to oblivion.

Basically it is a couple or three posters hogging the conversation with irrelevancies.

Anyway there's not much more to be said on that subject. I don't want to put anybody off posting in any way they want - I'm just saying why some people don't like it.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:19 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Fairly predictable.
Guilty as charged M'lord. Yes, on the odd occasion I (and others) have reverted to that. But speaking for myself, not as a general rule.

I am not against one-word or one-liners Per Se - sometimes they may be genuinely amusing - in the form of banter.

It's the amount and nature of them that I object to. Particularly the group mentality, where people use cryptic remarks, sarcasm or even worse the terms Racist, Fascist (someone that reads the DM or is a Euro-sceptic) to promote their view of the world, rather than engage in debate.
Let's call it what it is then. Intolerance of posters and their styles when you don't particularly like them. When it's someone you quite like then it hardly matters how people post, one liners, quips, light insults, whatever it is the replies are OK. When you are not that fond of the poster behind the comments then it completely changes the ball game and no matter what they post it's not what you want to read. Last year I was criticised for only ever posting one liners in reply to certain threads. When I posted long replies I was patronised for making long posts and it was suggested in a sarcastic tone that I should go back to posting one liners. As I said, this will rumble on for some time yet, the forum grumbles are not done with this and will extract every ounce of blood they can from it.
As to the general feeling that the Moding has changed then yes, it has. We lost Mitzy who I have to say has been about the most tolerant mod out there and Fred can't do the job on his own but some people don't learn. I had my arse slapped recently and was sent to the naughty step just like others did but I didn't come back and start bitching about it. Like I said, it's our choice to be here, don't like it? Don't stay. The site has rumbled on nicely without most of us for a long time and it will rumble on nicely without us, plenty more people dream of moving overseas.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:27 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jimenato
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with appropriate one-liners.

What is wrong is when there is a stream of them which appear to be private 'in' jokes which aren't relevant to the rest of us nor the discussion, and have on a couple of occasions relegated a well-constructed and thoughtful post to oblivion.

Basically it is a couple or three posters hogging the conversation with irrelevancies.

Anyway there's not much more to be said on that subject. I don't want to put anybody off posting in any way they want - I'm just saying why some people don't like it.
Do you not think there's a place for all of it though? A few years ago when the place was in full swing and we had JDR in charge as well a couple of posters complained endlessly that they felt excluded from all the frivolity and their complaining got out of hand. Instead of just joining in they just posted one liners and moans. Now. I admit. If that one line reply business ended up in the main Spain forum it would be completely out of place but as you very well know at one time there was a run of threads about the dirty Muslims and foreigners and I'm sorry but as a poster on the forum and thus a voice as important as the ones complaining I had reached the end of my tether. It was pathetic and deserved to be dealt with or.... And this phrase has been used recently..... They deserved to be self edited by other forum members, dealt with internally and swept away. You also have to remember that many of us have spoken to one another at least once a day for the last 6-8 years, in some cases many more. That's more than I speak to my own mother!
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you never gone to the pub and just got into a random conversation with strangers and enjoyed it? Made new mates but also met an idiot or two who you then decided to ignore but continue chatting to those you did like? BE is no different.

More times than you can imagine?
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Have you never gone to the pub and just got into a random conversation with strangers and enjoyed it? Made new mates but also met an idiot or two who you then decided to ignore but continue chatting to those you did like? BE is no different.

More times than you can imagine?
One person's "new mate" is another's "idiot". As you say BE is no different. Whether or not newcomers are welcomed depends on their views, if you agree or not.
The late fatbrit, put what I thought were excellent posts about the London riots on the other forum section that I contribute to and he received some really unpleasant replies from some.

Ironically most of the latter have left and one regular poster banned and the site is now incredibly boring
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bipat
One person's "new mate" is another's "idiot". As you say BE is no different. Whether or not newcomers are welcomed depends on their views, if you agree or not.
The late fatbrit, put what I thought were excellent posts about the London riots on the other forum section that I contribute to and he received some really unpleasant replies from some.

Ironically most of the latter have left and one regular poster banned and the site is now incredibly boring
Not sure what you mean. The smiley at the end leaves me confused.
This is happening more and more.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK I confess I was being a bit childish with that remark. You see my usual crowd in PDT would not have asked me that question. A bit of an in-joke rather like what goes in in TIO.

I guess were not that much different
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried advertising for some unpleasant posters?

This whole thing really is just a digital storm in an internet teacup. Let's just get on with posting.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

This whole thing really is just a digital storm in an internet teacup. Let's just get on with posting.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:36 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thing really is just a digital storm in an internet teacup. Let's just get on with posting.
[/QUOTE]

Willbury.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

Willbury.
Almost! 10 out of 10 for effort though.

(It's Willmore)
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It is clear that some of the posters here just simply do not understand the concept of irony/sarcasm at all.

.<wee snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 22nd 2014 at 11:46 pm. Reason: Perhaps not, in the context of this thread. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.