Where to live

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cutter53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live

I'm retiring to Spain later this year and initially I was looking round the Torrevieja region but have been put off by things I've read.
I'll be bringing my dog, I don't drive, and for now my Spanish is nil, so I need to be somewhere that has ample walking areas,close to shops, bars doctors etc, and somewhere that I can get by initially with little Spanish, I welcome all replies
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live

|Hi Cutter, I would advise that you do nothing at full pelt. Take your time; it's not as if the price of Spanish property is going to jump out of control overnight (like in 2003). Spanish property has seldom been cheaper than now and it is unlikely to gazump for the distant future.

You're retiring. Spend some weeks off season in any location you wish. You will know in about 5 weeks if Spain is for you. You can rent per month for €700 + €100 Electricity in good resorts (2 bedroom, centrally located). It might be prudent to rent out your UK property while renting in Spain which will guarantee a profit for you every month. I wouldn't think of selling the UK property either. Things can go pear shape fairly easily, so leave room for a dignified retreat, if necessary.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cutter53
I'm retiring to Spain later this year and initially I was looking round the Torrevieja region but have been put off by things I've read.
I'll be bringing my dog, I don't drive, and for now my Spanish is nil, so I need to be somewhere that has ample walking areas,close to shops, bars doctors etc, and somewhere that I can get by initially with little Spanish, I welcome all replies
Don't believe everything you read, I live in Spain for several years centered around just South of Torrevieja and never encountered ANY problems, yes there are area you would not want to visit at night in Torre itself, but I was there regularly and NEVER felt concerned, certainly the areas just south of Torre would seem to suit you quite well. Areas just North of Benidorm would also suit your requirements, and there is a very good bus service in that area as well.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't believe everything you read, I live in Spain for several years centered around just South of Torrevieja and never encountered ANY problems, yes there are area you would not want to visit at night in Torre itself, but I was there regularly and NEVER felt concerned, certainly the areas just south of Torre would seem to suit you quite well. Areas just North of Benidorm would also suit your requirements, and there is a very good bus service in that area as well.
Well, maybe you are one of the wolves who doesn't feel unsafe between wolves. If you were the goat, how would that be.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

What things have you read?
Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

That Torrevieja is a small benidorm, lots of English yobs on holiday and the housing on the outskirts is like a English council estate, those are the worst things I've read.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cutter53
That Torrevieja is a small benidorm, lots of English yobs on holiday and the housing on the outskirts is like a English council estate, those are the worst things I've read.
Do you feel that you may not fit in?
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Let's put it this way, I do not go where the young and boisterous go, I prefer somewhere quieter now but within reach of bars, restaurants and shops
Old Apr 6th 2018, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

"Leper" who replied to you earlier seems to have the best take on this. Visit at different times of year, visit the various areas coastal and inland. Do a bit of the Airbnb. Money spent this way will save you loads of dosh and an embarrassing retreat later.

There are some good council estates in England, your brush is too wide.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leper
|Hi Cutter, I would advise that you do nothing at full pelt. Take your time; it's not as if the price of Spanish property is going to jump out of control overnight (like in 2003). Spanish property has seldom been cheaper than now and it is unlikely to gazump for the distant future.

we have been looking since 2014 around this area and asking prices seem to be quite a bit more for similar properties
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

chris76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leper
|
You're retiring. Spend some weeks off season in any location you wish. You will know in about 5 weeks if Spain is for you. You can rent per month for €700 + €100 Electricity in good resorts (2 bedroom, centrally located). It might be prudent to rent out your UK property while renting in Spain which will guarantee a profit for you every month.

also iv been thinking about this also. A good idea in principle but what about the tax implications? would i not have to declare it so losing 25% or whatever the rate would be?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

a bummer that
Originally Posted by chris76
also iv been thinking about this also. A good idea in principle but what about the tax implications? would i not have to declare it so losing 25% or whatever the rate would be?
Yep, bit of a bummer that. You may even have to get a gas safety certificate, life is such a bitch at times
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Take your time. Rent or stay in cheap hotels until you find a place that suits.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cheap hotels would be fine if it was just me but I don't think they would take my dog as well
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about fora such as this the enquirer is never left short personal opinions (including mine). It is no big deal retiring to the Costas and the effort is not onerous either. Common Sense is not a great common denominator among those who took the jump.

Therefore, test the waters as early as possible and make your number 1 decision be to move to whatever area you might like for no less than 5 weeks in the off season. The main reasons are (i) To see if you like the area (ii) You might learn that Spain is not for you.
No. 2:- Many people bought earlier in the century and for some reason or other want to bail out. Negative Equity is probably their main issue and now are cutting losses. Brexit is an issue whether we like it or not. The secession issue in Catalonia is a runner too.
No.3:- Don't sell any of your assets (especially property) in the UK. Consider renting out your UK property and when renting in Spain your costs should be covered in spades.
No.4:- So you must buy in Spain. Wrong! The only thing you must do from here is die. I presume nobody will argue with this.
No.5:- Cost of Living, Tax Issues, Family Issues, Pet Care all are important, but in the ha'penny place compared to Nos. 1 - 4.
No.6:- If you're going to do it, then do it, but use Common Sense.

For the record:- I live on-and-off in Mojacar Playa, Costa Almeria.
(a) Am I glad I chose Mojacar Playa? - Yes -
(b) Do I regret purchasing a Spanish apartment? - Yes -
(c) If I sold my Sp. property, would I still visit Mojacar Playa? - Yes - I'd rent off season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.