Where to go?

Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:29 am
Just Joined

JimMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to go?

Hi Everyone,

THE TIME HAS COME - You you "THAT TIME" when youve decided enough is enough and you want to find a new life for you and yours

QUESTION IS: Where??

We've been researching the States and looking for more info on California, I would move to OZ or Canada but my wife thinks not. So sunshine Europe is right up there.

Personally I dont care where too much (I want sun and a pool with a bit of land if poss) but more importantly I need a thriving community, as we're not ready to retire just yet, with lots going on and with first-class schooling/uni for to teenage daughters.

Anyone know where I'll find this.

Cheers - Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go?

When you find this utopia let us all know, but I wish you luck in finding somewhere like this. Do not mean to be negative, it is great here. we have the house and pool, cheap to live, great neighbours (spanish) but utopia it is not, four months to change number plates, hassles with town hall re building permiso etc. Language problems which we are overcoming but there are still bills to be paid etc etc.
pwwm
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Should have added sitting here with terrace door open, shirt sleeves and the sun shining through, warm enough to sit outside and read etc. But having said that we were cutting wood for the fire a while ago. (free of course from our rather large garden)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
When you find this utopia let us all know, but I wish you luck in finding somewhere like this. Do not mean to be negative, it is great here. we have the house and pool, cheap to live, great neighbours (spanish) but utopia it is not, four months to change number plates, hassles with town hall re building permiso etc. Language problems which we are overcoming but there are still bills to be paid etc etc.
pwwm
Yeah UTOPIA - wouldnt it be great? but perhaps thats more a state of mind

If I had my way I'd be living your life - but outside the sun the priority for the next 5 years has got to be our girls and importantly their education - so wherever it is its got to revolve around that!

Hoy - manyana - tarde or temprano - I just want to chill.

Utopia's a big ask, but I'll let you know LOL

Jim.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
PS. Should have added sitting here with terrace door open, shirt sleeves and the sun shining through, warm enough to sit outside and read etc. But having said that we were cutting wood for the fire a while ago. (free of course from our rather large garden)
Fed up freezing my whatsits off in London, should have been born elsewhere, but I'd cut wood for the change of lifestyle - and I want that garden!!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 1:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimMac
Fed up freezing my whatsits off in London, should have been born elsewhere, but I'd cut wood for the change of lifestyle - and I want that garden!!

you can freeze your wotsits off here too!!!

so many people come here & think life is just one long holiday, but pay is cr__
and so are working conditions

if it wasn't for our US business & dh flying back & forth we wouldn't be living here - as it is we might have to go back to the US in a year or two.

back to your original question, there are many very good international schools for your kids if they are older - wouldn't recommend putting them into spanish system over 10 years old due to language probs
Old Jan 18th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luckily we do not work but made sure we had enough money from the sale of our house before we came out. Quite fun cutting the wood for the fire, we do not get that cold here unlike some other area's, normal daytime for us this time of year in nicest part of the day is about 18 maybe slightly more, drops to about 7 at night. I can cope with that. re the garden it is actually cut into the mountain but we are working on making it more of a terraced garden eat yer heart out jimMac 1000sq mtrs sounds good but rocky, boy is it rocky.

Anyhow why dont you come over to Spain and rent somewhere, try it out . We actually live away from CDS if you check your map you will see the area, not to everyones taste but the locals are great, re schooling, if you want to keep up the English education the nearest is Almunecar where there is an International school.
Have fun looking we did, we bought an oldish house with a little work but that is work we have chosen to do. We do not have central heating we find a couple a gas fires placed strategically around the house and the wood fire at night more than enough.

Enjoy the office, dont envy you one bit
pwwm