Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy poppys Jaen area

Where can I buy poppys Jaen area

Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Andalucian Katy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where can I buy poppys Jaen area

Hi does anyone know where I can buy a poppy up here I used to buy them in an English food shop in Alcala La Real but its gone now..any offers?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I buy poppys Jaen area

Originally Posted by Andalucian Katy
Hi does anyone know where I can buy a poppy up here I used to buy them in an English food shop in Alcala La Real but its gone now..any offers?
why not just make an online donation ??

I know it shows solidarity but as an ex-serviceman I understand that from time to time it may not be possible to get the poppy.

However, you have probably given me a task for next year after I am up and running in the Granada area.

rgds
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

What a great idea!!! and yes please do next year we could do with itxx
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are happy with that Katy

I bought one last week, would you like me to send it to you ?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

lol thanks for the offer,,in fact I have just found one from last year in a draw I can wear that and now thanks to you i can make a donation on linexx You say your an ex service man?...well thank youxx
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:50 pm

OK Katy

Where can I buy poppys  Jaen area-poppy-silk.bmp

for anyone out there who wants to make an online donation for this year 2011, the 90th year of the appeal
please go to http://www.poppy.org.uk/

or http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/buy-a-poppy

or http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

for those who wish to buy any of the Poppy related jewellery please go to
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/jeweller...ewellery.html/

Thank you in advance
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks must admit I dont like the jewels these so called celebrities are wearing them at the moment some are a little disrespectful..many thanks again
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:22 pm

Many thanks must admit I dont like the jewels these so called celebrities are wearing them at the moment some are a little disrespectful..many thanks again
Katy I can understand that, I don't know how they are selling or anything but there may be some who would wish to make a more permanant remembrance of a loved one lost.

I for one had a 2 grandfathers who got through WWI and a father and various uncles who got through WWII. I remember the flash backs that dad had, especially when the malaria kicked in years later as a memento of Chindit time in Burma.
I also served under the White Ensign of the Royal Navy for many years, experiencing South Africa's Apartheid, the Malay/Singapore confrontation with Indonesia, and Beira patrols where only the middle one was any real danger to me (ask me later about that one).

nowadays the common statement is "I'm sooo stressed out" when a stapler runs out of staples or the milk in the coffee curdles, I really do have to hold my temper.

thanks for your help
kind regards
Dom
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:05 am
Just Joined

I know its terrible there was no such thing as stress counselling then was there. My mother never saw her father for 6 years in fact he walked past her in the street when he finally returned home he dint recognise his own kids hed been away for so long. He didnt live much longer after the second world war he was crippled at Dunkirk and his borther too who had Malaeria and suffered for years..the youth today really dont know how lucky they are and we should never forget everx
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:57 am

I know its terrible there was no such thing as stress counselling then was there. My mother never saw her father for 6 years in fact he walked past her in the street when he finally returned home he dint recognise his own kids hed been away for so long. He didnt live much longer after the second world war he was crippled at Dunkirk and his borther too who had Malaeria and suffered for years..the youth today really dont know how lucky they are and we should never forget everx
I don't know if the word stress was ever used in those days, just referring to what happened to metals. People who had stress were generally referred to as "lacking in moral fibre", a very early politically correct statement.

Many men came home looking for babes in arms when over the years they had grown into fully active 4, 5, 6 year olds. A period of much change for the child(ren) especially when you look at the photo's.

I have a number of momentoes from dad's time, some of which may prove interesting in a regimental museum, but it was announced a few days ago that most of them are going to be closed down.

lest we forget.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Yes....it's sad the way things have gone in Britain with the Greatest Generation virtually forgotten.

My father was taken as a POW in France, escaped, recaptured, then put in a max security place in Czechoslovakia. Conditions were bad and sadly he died in 1959 as a result of his time there.

My late father in law was one of the first Brit squaddies to liberate Auschwitz but it was an experience he would never talk about.

That generation had something that's long gone now I'm afraid.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Unmutual
Yes....it's sad the way things have gone in Britain with the Greatest Generation virtually forgotten.

My father was taken as a POW in France, escaped, recaptured, then put in a max security place in Czechoslovakia. Conditions were bad and sadly he died in 1959 as a result of his time there.

My late father in law was one of the first Brit squaddies to liberate Auschwitz but it was an experience he would never talk about.

That generation had something that's long gone now I'm afraid.
must agree with you, they suffered in silence, didnt talk about it. Even when I was serving in the RN my late father never spoke of his experiences against the Japanese in Burma. Out of respect I never asked. Perhaps I should have done.

Even those at nice and safe Bletchley Park were told never ever to talk about what they did. Now 70 years on many of them have died without ever telling relatives they were there, letalone what they did.

Perhaps it was just that magic mix of respect and duty.

Remembrance Day is something that seems to run through the British (and other countries).

Lest we forget.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

And you know the saddest thing about it!

A lot of that generation were considered not financially viable to treat by the NHS.

They gave everything....but when they need something from Britain itself, they were denied.

I saw it when my aunt died in 2005....she'd served in the Army as a driver for some of the military bigwigs in WWII. So it was a dangerous gig.

And she died in squalour in Crawley Hospital....thanks to the MRSA she'd contracted there previously.

Six months later we left Britain and have never been back.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:09 pm

sorry to hear about your aunt.
based on the experiences I have had recently I think the problems are still alive and kicking in the NHS. But they can do no wrong.

even as he was dying my dad was saying how hard pressed the nurses were, how poorly paid. I didnt have the heart to argue with him.

lest we forget
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
sorry to hear about your aunt.
based on the experiences I have had recently I think the problems are still alive and kicking in the NHS. But they can do no wrong.

even as he was dying my dad was saying how hard pressed the nurses were, how poorly paid. I didnt have the heart to argue with him.

lest we forget
They were a tough old breed for sure!

It's a tragedy that that sort of spirit, honour, respect etc doesn't really exist in Britain today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.