Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to Buy / Where to Start!

Where to Buy / Where to Start!

Old Jan 21st 2020, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

ees3dc_dmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to Buy / Where to Start!

My wife and I would like to buy a two bedroom apartment/property in Spain. She wants to be close to the beach. Neither of us have been to Spain(!) but she is all for it (too many "A Place in the Sun" programs!!!!).
I'm not sure where to start looking. Our budget is around 160K Euros. Estepano looks OK. I know we can't afford Malaga/ Marbella etc but she wants Costa Del Sol. but then there is Costa Blanca that I think is cheaper?

Although its not a buy-to-let, we'd want to at least cover the cost of any service fees by renting out, so it needs to be in an area where others want to go.

Any information greatly received on what locations/regions to look at would be most useful.
Thanks
David
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Buy / Where to Start!

Originally Posted by ees3dc_dmc
My wife and I would like to buy a two bedroom apartment/property in Spain. She wants to be close to the beach. Neither of us have been to Spain(!) ....
Where to start? .... Start by visiting Spain, to see if you like it. ... Maybe you don't, and perhaps Italy would be a better fit, or Cyprus, or ... ?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

You want to spend €160,000.00 on something in a country you've never been to...?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 6:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Many people dream of owning a house in Spain and for most it never happens. Good luck
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see someone with a bit of get up and go around here! There are just so many Costas, just choose one that sounds warm and nice. I don't think anyone can watch too much "A Place in the Sun" as they are just so packed with facts an fun info. Any Estate agent will guide you to your ideal holiday home and probably provide a solicitor friend, for free, to make sure the sale goes through tickety boo! However you may benefit from a trip to Spain just out of idle curiosity prior to any purchase. Just remember to get a Sombrero as a souvenir on your way back!
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
Nice to see someone with a bit of get up and go around here! There are just so many Costas, just choose one that sounds warm and nice. I don't think anyone can watch too much "A Place in the Sun" as they are just so packed with facts an fun info. Any Estate agent will guide you to your ideal holiday home and probably provide a solicitor friend, for free, to make sure the sale goes through tickety boo! However you may benefit from a trip to Spain just out of idle curiosity prior to any purchase. Just remember to get a Sombrero as a souvenir on your way back!
Madness. Absolute madness. Some of the threads here kill me.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You want to buy a house in a country that you have never visited. You have seen pictures of it on your far-seeing-mechanism !

Soit down and think about this for a while.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ees3dc_dmc
My wife and I would like to buy a two bedroom apartment/property in Spain. She wants to be close to the beach. Neither of us have been to Spain(!) but she is all for it (too many "A Place in the Sun" programs!!!!).
I'm not sure where to start looking. Our budget is around 160K Euros. Estepano looks OK. I know we can't afford Malaga/ Marbella etc but she wants Costa Del Sol. but then there is Costa Blanca that I think is cheaper?

Although its not a buy-to-let, we'd want to at least cover the cost of any service fees by renting out, so it needs to be in an area where others want to go.

Any information greatly received on what locations/regions to look at would be most useful.
Thanks
David
Seriously!!!😂

That is absolutely ridiculous. At least have a couple of holiday periods in various places. There's several "Costa" areas and you don't seem to know one from another. That's certainly a lot of cash to part with if you don't realise the requirements and regulations of renting a property to holidaymakers. It will probably take you about a year to get a licence from the town hall.

Do your fact finding and get all the necessary information about the legalities of living in Spain such as healthcare and getting your NIE number.

Find information about the 90 and 183 day rules.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Jan 21st 2020 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Every January these threads appear. People sitting in the UK, fed up with winter there and thinking that Spain would be different when the reality is that it is not sunny and hot all of the time. We all know that at times the weather can be far worse than anyone living in the UK could dream of. Yet again there have been deaths due to the current weather pattern but all people think of when Spain pops into their heads is constant sun.

Spain is a good place to live if you have researched and chosen wisely but if you move here on a whim and have not done your homework it can be a really miserable and expensive experience.

Instead of making moving plans make holiday plans.

Rosemary

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:49 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Every January these threads appear. People sitting in the UK, fed up with winter there and thinking that Spain would be different when the reality is that it is not sunny and hot all of the time. We all know that at times the weather can be far worse than anyone living in the UK could dream of. Yet again there have been deaths due to the current weather pattern but all people think of when Spain pops into their heads is constant sun.

Spain is a good place to live if you have researched and chosen wisely but if you move here on a whim and have not done your homework it can be a really miserable and expensive experience.

Rosemary
Winter time, sitting in front of the TV watching A Place In The Sun does make it all seem very easy too.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be a wind up. Please tell me it's a wind up.
If it's for real, I hope the OP doesn't let his wife watch the shopping channels. She'll buy every single item that's advertised and they will have no money left to get ripped off them in the Spanish venture.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to Buy / Where to Start!

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
This is very true and spot on well said and put rosemary.Please take this advice and your time and there is a wonderful life to live in spain it took my wife and i 15 years to plan and move to spain and all is well. Rosemary has given you the best advice you could have been given please take it and i am sure you will do well.All the best
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Opinion
Madness. Absolute madness. Some of the threads here kill me.
I'm absolutely certain that Jonboys post was made with his tongue so far in the cheek it was probalby coming out the other side.
I really don't think anyone should buy without going there and staying a few weeks at different times of the year, winters on the costas can be cold, and there can be very bad weather at times. Don't look to get some income from rentals, remember you will need someone to look after the place and do the change overs, which will cost, and we do not know what the effect of Brexit might be, and when it will be inforce, there is still a strong possibility of a no deal scenario.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I'm absolutely certain that Jonboys post was made with his tongue so far in the cheek it was probalby coming out the other side.
I really don't think anyone should buy without going there and staying a few weeks at different times of the year, winters on the costas can be cold, and there can be very bad weather at times. Don't look to get some income from rentals, remember you will need someone to look after the place and do the change overs, which will cost, and we do not know what the effect of Brexit might be, and when it will be inforce, there is still a strong possibility of a no deal scenario.
I know it was- I was agreeing with what he was getting at. It's absolutely insane.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, it must have looked like I was drinking from the same cup as the original poster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.