Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

I have live on the outskirts of Seville for ten years now and I think that if I was younger and fitter and wanted to come and live in Spain, I would look at the gardening trade. After ten years of employing various gardeners they all turned out to be very unreliable. Luckily, I now employ a couple English/German and they are worth their weight in gold, they are booked solid here with work because they are formal, charge reasonable rates and work very hard. Just and idea. At the beginning it won't be easy getting started, but once you build your reputation, as in all trades, it could work. Again as always speaking the lingo make life a lot easier.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

I think thats very good advice re; gardening
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Yes definately something to think about, however I would probably need to learn this back home.
I always say to myself, Spain will never go away. I can always come back!!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:49 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

If belts begin to tighten in Spain is Gardening really the best option?
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

I think you have to look forward to the future. Things are bad now, but at some point they have to start to get better and if SB learns about gardening in the UK and start learning Spanish, who knows what the future holds. What you can't do is put you life on hold and do nothing!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 9:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdunbavin
I think you have to look forward to the future. Things are bad now, but at some point they have to start to get better and if SB learns about gardening in the UK and start learning Spanish, who knows what the future holds. What you can't do is put you life on hold and do nothing!
Not saying they should, but I recently got my Hort Masters and I doubt very much I could find a job that paid me enough to actually make a living....

I am simply offering advice, just what I was asked by the OP to do....
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trentino
I think thats very good advice re; gardening

I second that,
I know a couple of chaps who, independently of each other, both went into gardening for pin money for meals out and a couple of pints.
They are both so busy with the gardening, especially now in the winter, they don't have time to spend it
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:51 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I second that,
I know a couple of chaps who, independently of each other, both went into gardening for pin money for meals out and a couple of pints.
They are both so busy with the gardening, especially now in the winter, they don't have time to spend it
Now that is strange, because the people I know of, and some are connected with this site, tell a very different story of the wages and work amount in Spain....

Just goes to show I guess....
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:53 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Now that is strange, because the people I know of, and some are connected with this site, tell a very different story of the wages and work amount in Spain....

Just goes to show I guess....

Really
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:55 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Really
Yep....

Good to see you so excited about it though!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Ive found another thread named "leaving Spain...why?" which gives good thoughts on why some people are leaving Spain and the potential this country has/hasnt got to offer.!!!

Sort of made up my mind really.(for now)
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:10 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yep....

Good to see you so excited about it though!

As Mrs Jdr would say.....I ham
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Isn't the best place to get work the same, whether you are british or spanish? I would expect that big cities would be the best right now. Barcelona maybe. It is a year round destination. Always busy.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The point is they prefer to employ the nationals. A spanish person will usually get more advantage over a british person regardless whether that british person speaks spanish or not.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
The point is they prefer to employ the nationals. A spanish person will usually get more advantage over a british person regardless whether that british person speaks spanish or not.
I think you have answered your own question there then !!! there isnt much work about full stop.....Brits will be last in the queue especially those without a trade and that dont speak Spanish... if I were you Spainboy I would listen to those who are actually out there in the work place(in Spain) who can give you advice based on fact rather than those who know someone who knows someone if you kno what I mean

I wish you well, living in Spain can be great but it can also be totally miserable if you have no work/money and need to earn a living here.....going back to UK may be your only option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.