Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Originally Posted by arko
If you come back to Spain, try learning Spanish. You say you've been here for a few years: what a wasted opportunity. You could at least have gone back to the UK with a foreign language on your CV.

Good luck anyway.
My spanish is ok, not fluent. I never said I never spoke spanish.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Originally Posted by spainboy
Thats a double negative.....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Rugbymatt.

Are you actually here to give a constructive view on the inital post or not? Why not try and give your view instead of comments like that!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Rugbymatt.

Are you actually here to give a constructive view on the inital post or not?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

<<Me and my g/f have been living in Benidorm for a few years now. I do speak a little bit of conversational spanish, not brilliant but enough to get by.>>

I didn't say you didn't say you spoke Spanish. I was just making the point that if you had learnt it, an by 'learning' I mean to the level of even some of the foreigners who have been in UK for only a year, you could have gone back to UK and maybe got a job in a company where Spanish was useful. There are still some job opportunities (especially in larger cities in England) for people who can speak a second language.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I lack a bit of confidence I reckon. I actually understand everything that is said to me and I mean perfect but I find it hard to speak very good back. I have read many novels in spanish too. I think its a confidence thing.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

I lack a bit of confidence I reckon. I actually understand everything that is said to me and I mean perfect but I find it hard to speak very good back. I have read many novels in spanish too. I think its a confidence thing.
That often happens. At least you understand it!! In any case, if you go back you'll at least have better grasp of the language than most people.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think i will try and keep up with it with dvd courses etc. Spanish classes back home would be expensive but I definately wouldnt want to forget about it. I dont think england would be a permanent thing for me anyway, just for a few years til things pick up again.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
It wasn't actually funny you know..............

Oh and what was the question?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:37 pm
Straw Man.

Rugbymatt.

Are you actually here to give a constructive view on the inital post or not? Why not try and give your view instead of comments like that!!!!!
Well........ firstly, since you, and the other (SNIP), ask for me to be sensible, I will say this. If you want Spain to work for you, you will have to work your arse off, you will have to slog and slog just to make a go of it, you will have to graft like never before, will have to work hours you never had to in the Uk and will have to put so much effort in that you will, at times, wonder why the hell you bothered in the first place..............

Now....................

Since you cant even be bothered to do a forum search for the COUNTLESS previous threads regarding the same kind of thing, in fact I think I have even made countless posts regarding the very same thing, I will be honest............. it doesn't bode well for you rising to the challenge.

Now, I know this will cause a forum row, I am fully aware it will not win me any friends, but ask anyone else who fights every day in Spain, just to live the dream, if I am right, and they will agree with me, not publicly because that just wont do, but agree they will...............

Now, are you happier?

Because if that doesn't make you happier then don't get me started about the right attitude to actually succeed in Spain!!!!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Dec 18th 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arko
If you come back to Spain, try learning Spanish. You say you've been here for a few years: what a wasted opportunity. You could at least have gone back to the UK with a foreign language on your CV.

Good luck anyway.
To be fair, it's harder to learn Spanish in Benidorm (and other resort towns) than in other parts of the country.

As for the thread question, surely the answer has to be Madrid. Is there anyone here who spent more than a few weeks in Madrid without getting work ?

Incidentally there are a load of cheap language schools in Madrid offering Spanish for foreigners, to cope with the 1000s of migrants who arrive there daily.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Dec 18th 2008 at 7:53 pm. Reason: add 1 sentence
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well........ firstly, since you, and the other (SNIP), ask for me to be sensible, I will say this. If you want Spain to work for you, you will have to work your arse off, you will have to slog and slog just to make a go of it, you will have to graft like never before, will have to work hours you never had to in the Uk and will have to put so much effort in that you will, at times, wonder why the hell you bothered in the first place..............

Now....................

Since you cant even be bothered to do a forum search for the COUNTLESS previous threads regarding the same kind of thing, in fact I think I have even made countless posts regarding the very same thing, I will be honest............. it doesn't bode well for you rising to the challenge.

Now, I know this will cause a forum row, I am fully aware it will not win me any friends, but ask anyone else who fights every day in Spain, just to live the dream, if I am right, and they will agree with me, not publicly because that just wont do, but agree they will...............

Now, are you happier?

Because if that doesn't make you happier then don't get me started about the right attitude to actually succeed in Spain!!!!

Well for a start watch your blood pressure.

I think you have missed a few holes in some of the posts.
Working my arse off? As I CLEARLY stated before there are no jobs to be doing that anyway.
I have done 2 bar jobs and both have laid me off. Bars are closing, hotels are not emplying and when they are they are only employing you for a short time.
Delivery drivers that work taking imported foods to supermarkets are getting laid off.My mate works for Tinsdale and Stanton and he is failing now to reach his monthly targets. They are not buying off him!!! His job is under threat. If there was a challenge there then oh course I would fight to stay here but all the brits now are trying to fight for what is left here, basically because the tourist trade isnt what it should be.
This is why my post is clearly entitled "Where is the best place in Spain to get work"? This is the advice I was wanting not a lecture to 'Fight and work my arse off'!! If there was something in Benidorm to fight for I would, that's why I was asking about alternatives.

Last edited by spainboy; Dec 18th 2008 at 7:54 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:54 pm
Straw Man.

Well for a start watch your blood pressure.

I think you have missed a few holes in some of the posts.
Working my arse off? As I CLEARLY stated before there are no jobs to be doing that anyway.
I have done 2 bar jobs and both have laid me off. Bars are closing, hotels are not emplying and when they are they are only employing you for a short time.
Delivery drivers that work taking imported foods to supermarkets are getting laid off.My mate works for Tinsdale and Stanton and he is failing now to reach his monthly targets. They are not buying off him!!! If there was a challenge there then oh course I would fight to stay here but all the brits now are trying to fight for what is left here, basically because the tourist trade isnt what it should be.
This is why my post is clearly entitled "Where is the best place in Spain to get work"? This is the advice I was wanting not a lacture to 'Fight and work my arse off'!!
So you have worked twice as a barman and failed, then thats not something you will do again.....

Delivery is failing, not gonna do that........

See a pattern emerging?

I'm not having a pop, just cant see why a simple search couldn't be done first, and remember, it was you who got all huffy first.....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I'm not having a pop, just cant see why a simple search couldn't be done first, and remember, it was you who got all huffy first.....
Its a site for asking questions and getting advice Matt, as you know . Theres enough questions that get asked here over and over, but we always try to answer dont we I know you're just in an arguementative mood tonight

Peace and Love, Peace and Love

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.