Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Originally Posted by spainboy
When you mentioned about jobs being back home but jobs that no one wants to do,well I fully agree with you, however I dont mind starting at the bottom because eventually the only way is up in the long run. Does anyone agree???
I'll probably get into trouble now but yes I do agree. In the UK part of the problem is the minimum wage. There is no incentive to do a good job or even show up. Even if you get fired. you can always walk around the corner to another min wage job.

What this means is (if you can initially afford to do it) get that min wage job. Prove your reliability and the fact that you solve problems and don't create them and you will rise. Obviously I m talking of the larger employers.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Yeah true.
I want to perhaps do a HGV course as well to broaden my chances. My brother works for Royal mail and says he can get me on the sorting office for a bit. I guess its a start and with there being two of us(the missus) then pulling 2 minimum wages in for a year isnt all that drastic i guess as long as we keep renting quite low for a bit.
I reckon once we are established even with poor jobs it's good enough as a start to explore other options(whilst a wage is coming in).
I dont think there is as much chance of doing the same whilst in Benidorm or anywhere in spain at the moment, do you agree?
There isnt much choice of work for us brits

Last edited by spainboy; Dec 18th 2008 at 5:08 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

"One thing I do know about the uk is food prices have gone down. We shop at Iceland over in Spain and we pay 70 euros a week,(£65). In the uk now you can get a weeks shopping for £30 if you go to farmfoods,asda etc."

I don't know which part of the country you mean. The inflation figures were released yesterday, and there is no slowdown at all in the rate of increase in food prices. We have switched to chasing every deal we can, but bills stillkeep going up. tomatoes 96 p a tin Heinz Baked beans as much as 64 some places, although you can find 48.
When did anyone EVER hear of the supermarkets actually cutting the price of anything without putting two other things up
I absolutel would not count on food bulls like that - multiply by three.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that with sterling s collapse against ALL world currencies, all food in the UK (a lot of which is imported) is 30 percent more expensive BEFORE you take inflation into account
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:25 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Not sure that answers my point, but fair enoughski, I'll take the slap on the wrist & skulk into my corner (or sulk) & come out flitting again in due course
Dont worry fionamw, it happens to the best of us. I have also been there myself, but live to fight another day,
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:34 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

good post.

I think also with me that sort of ties my post to yours is that im at an age now, 36, where time is running out in terms of career changes etc.

Im frightened in a way that if I percivere here for say another 6 or 7 years doing bar work or hotel work then ill be at an age where it may be a little late to take that leap and do something.

When you mentioned about jobs being back home but jobs that no one wants to do,well I fully agree with you, however I dont mind starting at the bottom because eventually the only way is up in the long run. Something I dont find in Spain. There is no real promotion type jobs or jobs to better yourself in Benidorm. Does anyone agree???

I think if I aim to get anywhere in life then Ive more chance at my age doing it in the uk then wait here for this recession to blow over, if it ever will anytime soon.

Thoughts??
I think that you have hit the nail on the head, and you have the right attitude.
The opportunities in Spain are virtually nil. You are still young enough to have your dream in a few years time.
You will be better prepared and will know all the pitfalls, if, or when you return.
Keep up with the Spanish, even if you are not looking for a job that depends on the language, it is still a big advantage to be fluent.
Just enjoy your remaining time in Spain and make your plans.
Good luck
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:46 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I find this post very interesting, and very good information. My children bought me my home in Nov 2002, and I moved here in April 2003; I had sufficient money to live until my pension payments started. My timing was good, and it was the best thing I ever did. However, I did not need to work, although work did find me! I feel sorry for all those who NEED to work to live; I don't believe that anywhere in the world is as good as it was in 2003. However the "advantage" the UK has is that it is a nanny state, and will give social payments to the "unfortunate". Part of living is to do with quality of life and there your family can give moral support - so necessary in times of need.

So yes if you need to get a career, then Spain is probably not the best place to live at the moment. But please throw the rose tinted spectacles away, it will be hard no matter which country you live in until this recession eases.

Good luck in whatever choice you make

Davexf
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
"One thing I do know about the uk is food prices have gone down. We shop at Iceland over in Spain and we pay 70 euros a week,(£65). In the uk now you can get a weeks shopping for £30 if you go to farmfoods,asda etc."

I don't know which part of the country you mean. The inflation figures were released yesterday, and there is no slowdown at all in the rate of increase in food prices. We have switched to chasing every deal we can, but bills stillkeep going up. tomatoes 96 p a tin Heinz Baked beans as much as 64 some places, although you can find 48.
When did anyone EVER hear of the supermarkets actually cutting the price of anything without putting two other things up
That definately isn't true.
I go home 4 or 5 times a year and there has been reductions in prices from Asda, tesco's etc. Aldi's are doing all veg for 50p now and most supermarkets are doing buy one get one free. Farmfoods are much cheaper than Iceland that sell the same type of stuff.
Im afraid one or two on here that have been home recently will not agree that its treble the cost. We went home to Asda a fortnight ago and had a full trolley full of stuff that came to just over £40.
If you go to Dia dia,Eroski they are not cheaper than the likes of Asda now. Mercadona is an exception but we only go there for essentials(milk,toliet roll) as I dont find it very good to shop there for anything else.

There is a massive price war on in the uk especially with the credit crunch. Stores are wanting people in them and need customers. If you were back recently you would know as I definately found them cheaper than most supermarkets over here.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by me me
I think that you have hit the nail on the head, and you have the right attitude.
The opportunities in Spain are virtually nil. You are still young enough to have your dream in a few years time.
You will be better prepared and will know all the pitfalls, if, or when you return.
Keep up with the Spanish, even if you are not looking for a job that depends on the language, it is still a big advantage to be fluent.
Just enjoy your remaining time in Spain and make your plans.
Good luck
Many thanks!!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

I think you typed week when you really meant DAY !
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

my dh paid 54 cents for tin of Heinz beans yesterday
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

They are 47p in asda so they are slightly cheaper, but you can also get custard powder for 7p, washing up liquid for 29p shower gel for 23p, white sliced bread for 45p , 2.8kg box of surf is £3.79 for 30 washes and for a 10 wash box in spain is 4 euros.
Anyway we are going off the subject slightly with this.!!!

Last edited by spainboy; Dec 18th 2008 at 6:23 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

They are 47p in asda so they are slightly cheaper, but you can also get custard powder for 7p, washing up liquid for 29p shower gel for 23p, white sliced bread for 45p etc etc.
if people need to know the price of baked beans could they please start a thread about it, or the vital information will be lost....
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

good post.

I think also with me that sort of ties my post to yours is that im at an age now, 36, where time is running out in terms of career changes etc.

Im frightened in a way that if I percivere here for say another 6 or 7 years doing bar work or hotel work then ill be at an age where it may be a little late to take that leap and do something.

When you mentioned about jobs being back home but jobs that no one wants to do,well I fully agree with you, however I dont mind starting at the bottom because eventually the only way is up in the long run. Something I dont find in Spain. There is no real promotion type jobs or jobs to better yourself in Benidorm. Does anyone agree???

I think if I aim to get anywhere in life then Ive more chance at my age doing it in the uk then wait here for this recession to blow over, if it ever will anytime soon.

Thoughts??
If you come back to Spain, try learning Spanish. You say you've been here for a few years: what a wasted opportunity. You could at least have gone back to the UK with a foreign language on your CV.

Good luck anyway.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

They are 47p in asda so they are slightly cheaper, but you can also get custard powder for 7p, washing up liquid for 29p shower gel for 23p, white sliced bread for 45p , 2.8kg box of surf is £3.79 for 30 washes and for a 10 wash box in spain is 4 euros.
Anyway we are going off the subject slightly with this.!!!
Is asda in spain now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.