Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to buy a holiday/retirement home in Spain ?

Where is the best place to buy a holiday/retirement home in Spain ?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to buy a holiday/retirement home in Spain ?

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Marbella is a nice retirement resort, but your budget is to small for Marbella.
I suggest La cala de Mijas, Riviera del Sol or Calahonda. All in Mijas Costa. Easy access o the beach and no to far from Malaga airport. La Cala de Mijas is my favourite beach town, I visit it every day during the summer (more or less) for a swim. It is also just 10 kilometers from Fuengirola who has all the shopping you may need and a train station as well.
Marbella a nice retirement resort I've heard it called some things, but never that!

La Cala is alright, but a bit like being in Little England by the sea, but thats fine if thats what you want.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daviddublin
I know its a big question.

We are a gay couple 45/50 and have been looking in Spain for some time.
Javea..Murcia.. and Costa del Sol so far.
Holiday home for the next 10 years then a place to semi retire to.
They were all great although Javea beach isnt the prettiest....Murcia was very arid (lovely in its own way) and the Costa del Sol(Marbella, San Pedro area) was so busy and full of cars I wasnt sure about it.
We would like to be close to the coast and walkable to everything but would also like a garden........asking for the impossible on our budget probably.(about 150k.....but happy to do any work on it)
Flying from Ireland , Alicante and Malaga are the best airports for us by far.
Does anyone have any advice ?
I hope I havent offended anyone.
David
You need to come down to Chiclana, which is not far from Cadiz best coast line in Spain. you will get a good property for that money
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

daviddublin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone....and thankyou all for your trouble.

Lynnxa......we have been to Javea 3 times but dont know it well enough...I do think its a smart area though and we are still looking.

Mama-Carol and Solar whizz......we will look into El Campello , it sounds interesting . Our budget of 150,000 is in Euros....we might be able to push it further but I'd really rather not.

HBG........Im not sure about Benidorm or Torrevieja although the prices in Torrevieja are astoundingly cheap .I havent been to either place though.

Pablosho....I think we would be prepared for a 2 hour drive if it was worth it....certainly car rental is pretty cheap at the moment.

AdrianTO.....I do agree about Marbella and I like it a lot .I have a soft spot for the Skol building.....but our budget would struggle to get a studio there.

JonnyX.......we have been told great things about Cala/Costa de Mijas and it certainly would be convenient.....I think we will go and look in September.

Again......Thank you all so much for all your suggestions....I can't access private messages till ive posted 3 times

David