Where to avoid

Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to avoid

If you're expecting 'bad' you will probably find it, or bring it with you. Perhaps best to stay in good ole blighty?
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer View Post
If you're expecting 'bad' you will probably find it, or bring it with you. Perhaps best to stay in good ole blighty?
I'm inclined to agree with your statement.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:52 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a good ole English moan. As an expat, surely you know by now that everything's better in blighty.

Why go through the exercise when you know you won't be happy abroad anyway? Come to think of it, you won't be happy in blighty either, but at least you won't waste your time and money only to find out that you'll never be happy.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the problem? It's a bit unfair for you to be having a go. It was a perfectly legitimate question to ask. I am sure that you are all as aware as I am that some areas in some if not all countries have problems with so called "lager louts" and some areas have problems with higher crime rates than others. Or is that too difficult to understand?
Old Apr 24th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused also as to why what you asked warranted some of the comments you received.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, got to be honest, I thought I had missed something on this thread. Is the OP 'Moaning' at all then? Maybe I have missed that as well.

Anyway, to your points. As you have wisely decided that you will be renting, you have given yourself 'portability', so if you don't like it, off you go. Tell you what, for a start, do a few 'cheapy' flights to different parts / areas you may fancy as a 'fishing expedition' See them at all times of the day, don't have your 'holiday goggles' on, imagine you were there 24/7. Horses for courses as we are all different, but I believe that a place will 'speak to you' and you may like, or otherwise, what you hear. Speak to any Ex Pats you meet, generally a friendly bunch, if not ..... jog on!

For me, I live in a nice place outside Granada 'in the sticks', the living is CHEAP I can assure you, the people are lovely, have very little but will share anything with you and the feeling is very much 1970's in my area, which I find great. Did I mention all my neighbours are Spanish? Yes, they have lots of dogs (so I got two), yes, they have Fiestas both planned and Impromptu.......... but we always get an invite. Good people though, respectful, kind and helpful.

Depends on your previous life as well, we are here and love it because I spent 31 years in the Police, followed by Private Industry, then self employment that took me all over Europe and the Emirates. My Wife was NHS for her working life, so yes, we ducked out of the cr** and gave ourselves what we saw as the perfect ' getaway', we have never EVER regretted it. Yes, we have pensions, but don't need to work because simply put where we chose to live gave us a really affordable lifestyle, so win, win.

What about your hobbies and interests? NO good getting a flat in Torrevieja (statistically a high crime area by the way) if you like Gardening! Open Spaces? Swimming? You will have a lot of usable time on your hands in a better climate as there is far less limiting weather to consider in general, so you will need THINGS TO DO that interest you.

Be realistic in what you both want, decide what you need and can afford and then GO for it, this is no rehearsal. Like I said, good luck to you.

Remember that consulting forums is sometimes like looking up your symptoms in a Medical Dictionary when you feel a bit crook.....hope you get my drift.,
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OTA63 View Post
What is the problem? It's a bit unfair for you to be having a go. It was a perfectly legitimate question to ask. I am sure that you are all as aware as I am that some areas in some if not all countries have problems with so called "lager louts" and some areas have problems with higher crime rates than others. Or is that too difficult to understand?
What are you referring to? That it's better in blighty? You didn't have anything to do with that.

Yes, lager louts, high crime rates, higher cost of living... Generally, you find these in expat areas. In Spain, anyway.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Bobd22 & Lurchio. After doing some research on the net I discovered that Torrevieja's crime rates were out of control some years ago but has improved greatly in the last few years. Which is good as my research also leads me to think that the Torrevieja area is a healthy place to live due to the salt lakes. I appreciate there's as effective as having your boots on the ground but I am coming round to thinking about that area as being a good area to live in. I would be interested in the forums opinions.
Thanks Bryan
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Here We are sitting on the west coast of Scotland and the end of April and the temperature is 3 degrees but dry. Yesterday was wet, windy hail, snow and 2 degrees. Who wouldn't want to move to warmer climes??
Bryan
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Here We are sitting on the west coast of Scotland and the end of April and the temperature is 3 degrees but dry. Yesterday was wet, windy hail, snow and 2 degrees. Who wouldn't want to move to warmer climes??
Bryan
Makes perfect sense.
I have been following this board for quite some time as preparation for buying a vacation home in Spain. Most of the time it is very useful and informative and I have learned a great deal. The only area this board has taught me to avoid is Mallorca!
Good luck with your search.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:51 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry!!! I meant Santa Pola
Hi Bryan, I lived in Santa Pola for 6 months back in 2003, and have visited regularly since then.

It's a mixed tourist/working town, mainly fishing, where the town centre or pueblo area is reasonably vibrant all year round yet the outlying areas of holiday apartment blocks are pretty much empty apart from August, a little ghost townlike.

Nice plaza and small castle in the centre, a recently constructed marina, sandy beaches and promenade, various local annual events such as the Santa Pola half marathon which has national prominence. There's also a wealth of beaches to the north and south to choose from, and salt lakes/mountains nearby helps for clean dry air. Lots of choice shopping wise with a variety of supermarkets etc to choose from. Island of Tabarca has boat trips running to it, pleasant day trip for any visitors you might have staying.

Good links to Alicante and its airport, and Elche, buses/roads, and it's reasonably flat for walking. Not a huge expat population (compared to Torrevieja area) but certainly enough to forge a social life. Predominantly Spanish invasion in August.

Horses for courses, but certainly worth a look.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Iano. You make Santa Pola sound very attractive and it is one of the areas I have been looking at (on the net of course). Can I ask why you only stayed 6 months?
Bryan
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:32 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Your question is good and realistic...there are some places in spain where the expats have really messed it up...they are more like little clactons with sun...but what ever turns you on...on the other hand...vast majority are very special...you need to visit...beauty is through the eyes of the beholder
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
The only area this board has taught me to avoid is Mallorca!
Is that so you avoid bumping into a certain mouthy bint lol?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:49 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Iano. You make Santa Pola sound very attractive and it is one of the areas I have been looking at (on the net of course). Can I ask why you only stayed 6 months?
Bryan
Was awaiting completion of an off-plan property nr El Campello (another resort well worth checking out).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.