Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When is an ITV not a valid ITV?

When is an ITV not a valid ITV?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default When is an ITV not a valid ITV?

An article appeared in today’s Coastrider paper – and I produce a summary of it here:
As the price for an ITV is less across the border in Murcia many people have travelled the short distance from the south Alicante area to save a few Euros – after all an ITV is an ITV –

Well apparently not!

An ITV is cheaper is Murcia because they carry out a different test – omitting a ‘noise test’ (which is compulsory in Valencia region) and so a Murcia ITV is not valid for a car registered in the Valencia community – and so the owner would be liable to a fine.

You could put your car through a ‘sound test’ in Valencia region and this would then provide a valid ITV.

The story also mentions a Spaniard being fined because he got an ITV in Castilla La Mancha but his car was registered in Valencia.

So the moral of the story is get your car ITV tested in the region in which it is registered with trafico.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is an ITV not a valid ITV?

just goes to prove that Spain still exists around its Autonomous Regions and not around the whole country.

When I took my car for matriculation I had to go to the ITV station who raised on set of docs, on to my local Ayuntamiento for "road fund" then on to Hacienda who raised another set of forms based on those from ITV, who sent me to the bank to pay the duties, where it all got transposed yet again.
The final bit was the Trafico where the poor lady had me standing there watching her chase round all the other forms to fill in hers, and then give me the new registration and the authority to get number plates made (at the Tabacos across the road)

No joined up thinking on this, no common form(s), all filled in manually by chasing around and around. Is it small wonder they can easily make mistakes, as Hacienda almost did by seeing Ltd in the manufacturers title and assuming it was a diesel without looking any further
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes whilst trafico has improved tremendously in the area of DL renewals - some of its other procedures also need an overhaul...........we live in hope.

Makes the DVLC look wonderful!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if you buy a car in say, Andalucia, and 'export' it to Valencia.

If it already has an ITV when it was purchased, are you supposed to know the differences and go and get it ITV's again?

How would that look on the paperwork if it had two ITV's for the same period?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I assume on the day of the ITV where the car is registered is what is relevant. The press report did not cover that.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:28 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Fancy the report is a load of tosh (?)

At no time in Valencia has my car had a noise test on the ITV.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:02 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

well we have had a tonka toy dumper truck driving round the group of streets around our house all day for the past 2 days - he appears to have no exhaust fitted, you can hear him coming from the other side of the village with a sinking heart.

perhaps i should suggest he move to valencia??

and why don't motorbikes and scooters not get stopped ??
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by playamonte

I had mine ITVed in Alicante last week. At some stage he lifted the bonnet, affixed a lead and asked me to rev upto 4000 revs. There was a machine at the side which showed the revs and the decibels. So I presume this was the noise test. I must admit, I don't remember them lifting the bonnet 2 years ago.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
An article appeared in today’s Coastrider paper – and I produce a summary of it here:
As the price for an ITV is less across the border in Murcia many people have travelled the short distance from the south Alicante area to save a few Euros – after all an ITV is an ITV –

Well apparently not!

An ITV is cheaper is Murcia because they carry out a different test – omitting a ‘noise test’ (which is compulsory in Valencia region) and so a Murcia ITV is not valid for a car registered in the Valencia community – and so the owner would be liable to a fine.

You could put your car through a ‘sound test’ in Valencia region and this would then provide a valid ITV.

The story also mentions a Spaniard being fined because he got an ITV in Castilla La Mancha but his car was registered in Valencia.

So the moral of the story is get your car ITV tested in the region in which it is registered with trafico.
My car was matriculated in the Alicante region where it was ITV'd. Had to wait awhile for the plates I was told cos I lived in the Valencia region. Plates and all documentation eventually supplied from the Alicante region but car tax is now paid to Piles (Valencia region) where I live. Am awaiting my ITV in Gandia (Valencia) with some trepidation or should I take it to Ondara which is in the Alicante province ? !
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte

Every one of my ITV's has included a noise test. You may not have noticed it as they do it at the same time as measuring exhaust gases.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I think the ITV article relates to the whole of Communidad Valencia - so if your car is registered in any of the 3 Valencian provinces (Alicante, Castellon or Valencia.) you can have it ITVed in any one of those. But maybe it is worth asking at the ITV station to be sure.

Last edited by spainrico; Apr 24th 2013 at 9:36 am.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:23 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. When we lived in Spain (in Granada province) we ALWAYS had our ITV done in Almeria province as it was nearer than the one in Granada province. So did all the other expats. Don't know about the Spaniards.

No-one ever said it wasn't valid even though we had our documents checked several times.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Oh dear. When we lived in Spain (in Granada province) we ALWAYS had our ITV done in Almeria province as it was nearer than the one in Granada province. So did all the other expats. Don't know about the Spaniards.

No-one ever said it wasn't valid even though we had our documents checked several times.
No problem as both provinces are in Andalucia.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:27 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

That's OK then !