Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When I move to Spain....

When I move to Spain....

Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default When I move to Spain....

Right - here is how it is.....

After months of research on the net and on this site (thanks everyone for your input ) I have now come to the conclusion - that I will install solar panels, get a PO box for mail, live on oranges (growing everywhere you look) and hide from the authorities in case they make me fill in forms I will only be able to speak to Brits because I can only pronounce Spanish with a Lancashire accent (place of my birth) and I will lose loads of weight as I will have to walk everywhere -too afraid to attempt to drive on the 'wrong side of the road'. Do you think I will survive
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:08 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When I move to Spain....

Originally Posted by Lionda

After months of research on the net and on this site (thanks everyone for your input ) I have now come to the conclusion - that I will install solar panels, get a PO box for mail, live on oranges (growing everywhere you look) and hide from the authorities in case they make me fill in forms I will only be able to speak to Brits because I can only pronounce Spanish with a Lancashire accent (place of my birth) and I will lose loads of weight as I will have to walk everywhere -too afraid to attempt to drive on the 'wrong side of the road'. Do you think I will survive
Sounds like the birth of a Master plan

Lionda, take it easy and read things and ask questions, but don't stress yourself out. You'll have plenty of time to do that when you get here *giggle*. Remember that if you think of it as an adventure, you will have fun with the whole move and it will be a learning process as well
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:13 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

HI Lionda,I did read some of your last thread,really sorry you have had such bad luck,its nice to see that you have still got a sense of humour,you will survive, I really hope things get better for you,when you hit bottom theres only one place left to go and thats back up,by the way I think solar panels is a great idea,have you seen budd69 thread ,take care
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:53 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I know others have been there, done it, got the t-shirt - but oh there is so much to absorb! Got to keep telling myself not to stress.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:06 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm will she survive ?? Hmmmm
Not if you rely on Solar panels , live on oranges , and dont fill forms in and then on top of that break your leg ! You most certainly will Not , And i tell you for why !!

Solar panels produce about enough heat to keep a hamster warm and 1 bulb lit .
eat to many oranges and you will go orange and suffer Vitamin C overload.
If you hide indoors to much you will become house bound and will lead to a fear of ever going out again !
If you lose to much weight you will be a bag of bones and bones get brittle , you will be walking along one day and your ankle bone will just break ! Then you would have to limp back with a dangling ankle blood leaking and fat tissues oozing and your shoe just dragging on the floor ! (not a pretty sight )

If you then managed to get back to your Villa , you would just fade away as a orange boney dot , freezing cold , with no post delivered . eventualy death would occur !

So Buck up and face the hardship , just my opinion
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:12 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

I know others have been there, done it, got the t-shirt - but oh there is so much to absorb! Got to keep telling myself not to stress.
I know what you mean since I got my lappy a couple of weeks ago and started to search a few sights you have no idea how much there is to do,its confusing but hey at least you have had a go,I cant wait to move ,dont get stressed ,learn by mistakes and move on,how long do you hyink it will be before you could move over again ? just keep smiling
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:19 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hmmmm will she survive ?? Hmmmm
Not if you rely on Solar panels , live on oranges , and dont fill forms in and then on top of that break your leg ! You most certainly will Not , And i tell you for why !!

eat to many oranges and you will go orange and suffer Vitamin C overload.
If you hide indoors to much you will become house bound and will lead to a fear of ever going out again !
If you lose to much weight you will be a bag of bones and bones get brittle , you will be walking along one day and your ankle bone will just break ! Then you would have to limp back with a dangling ankle blood leaking and fat tissues oozing and your shoe just dragging on the floor ! (not a pretty sight )

If you then managed to get back to your Villa , you would just fade away as a orange boney dot , freezing cold , with no post delivered . eventualy death would occur !

So Buck up and face the hardship , just my opinion
Oh Pete You know how to pick a woman up and make her laugh (and I mean that in the nicest possible way
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:25 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

You have looked into everything on this site, and have added much to the threads,it wont be easy, you will learn Spanish fast because you want to intergrate,but i think you will love it,it is for you,dont think english think Spanish,i know that is difficult just now but when you get there try and think that way,i really hope you make it, you are the type of European we need.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

:
They give us about 20% of out electricity at the mo, and we live in the south of England.
You have taken too much from that program the other night.
Wind turbines give us about 47% more on average.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:35 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They give us about 20% of out electricity at the mo, and we live in the south of England.
I think you are on the wrong thread,but there where negative comments about wind turbines,personaly I think it is the way forward ,but the electricity companies will disagree,they will have to pay YOU.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:35 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

20% saving to have the initial costs and have them strapped on your roof nah bad move i reckon ,, easier to just turn 2 of the 10 light bulbs off and spend the money on important issues like ; Wing Mirrors for me Bike , Or the latest DVD Boxed set of "Running around the Peak District vols 1 -12" and stuff ..

Just my opinion of course ..
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:38 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

20% saving to have the initial costs and have them strapped on your roof nah bad move i reckon ,, easier to just turn 2 of the 10 light bulbs off and spend the money on important issues like ; Wing Mirrors for me Bike , Or the latest DVD Boxed set of "Running around the Peak District vols 1 -12" and stuff ..

Just my opinion of course ..
It is indeed your opinion.

Just to let ya know however, we have a 3 bed house, lots of electrical appliances, and my last years elec bill was £92.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:41 pm
Banned

It is indeed your opinion.

Just to let ya know however, we have a 3 bed house, lots of electrical appliances, and my last years elec bill was £92.
Yes well maybe it was but that just makes the picture even bleaker what did u pay for the solar set up ?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:47 pm
Straw Man.

Yes well maybe it was but that just makes the picture even bleaker what did u pay for the solar set up ?
£600 2 years ago, the turbine cost a grand.
We rreceived about £800 in grants for the cost of it all, so a total of £800 spent. But aside from minimal running costs I technically have no more to spend.

The program the other nigh was very misleading with its drama about solar power.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:01 pm
Banned

£600 2 years ago, the turbine cost a grand.
We rreceived about £800 in grants for the cost of it all, so a total of £800 spent. But aside from minimal running costs I technically have no more to spend.

The program the other nigh was very misleading with its drama about solar power.
Right so the panels produce 20 % of your electric !! ( qoute " we have a 3 bed house, lots of electrical appliances, and my last years elec bill was £92.")

So using your figures here ; before 20% disc your bill would of been approx £110.40p a saving of £ 18.40p

Cost of Solar Panels = £800

Pay Back time £800 / £18.40p = 43 years to achieve payback !!! at your present useages ..

Now add to this that i also reckon that the panels Will deteriate over time , and add on this that will need to be cleaned or power output will decrease !
So you have to pay someone to clamber on roof to do this ? Unless u have them garden mounted and , protected from your grandkids footballs and stuff ?

Maybe its me but dont think that its a good investment at all ? Unless you have 80 years of life ahead of you which i doubt ?

Just my opinion

ps unless u mean to include the wind generator

Then the figures equate as 14 years payback time . unless my guess works wrong ...
what sums do you make it ??

Last edited by Big Pete; Mar 13th 2007 at 11:08 pm. Reason: ps added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.