Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When I move to Spain

When I move to Spain

Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:01 am
Just Joined

evacuateuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile When I move to Spain

When we move to Spain in the (hopefully) very near future, we are really concerned that we wont know the right way to go about things. We would really appreciate hearing from people who have recently moved over to Spain and how the expat community helped you to settle in. We would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who moved into the Cocentania area as to what the expat community is like in that area too. Thanks to all
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: When I move to Spain

Originally Posted by evacuateuk
When we move to Spain in the (hopefully) very near future, we are really concerned that we wont know the right way to go about things. We would really appreciate hearing from people who have recently moved over to Spain and how the expat community helped you to settle in. We would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who moved into the Cocentania area as to what the expat community is like in that area too. Thanks to all

Ok, not a lot of help there then? Thanks anyway, have a good life
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When I move to Spain

Sorry matey, don't know the area. Great expat community here though.

Ok, not a lot of help there then? Thanks anyway, have a good life
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
Sorry matey, don't know the area. Great expat community here though.
Really appreciate your reply, but where exactly are you?? Would love to know. It actually, doesnt matter where you are in Spain its really nice to know that someone bothered enough to reply. Thanks to you matey
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: When I move to Spain

"How the expat community helped you settle in.........."
Personally I didn't come to live in Spain to have that and I wouldn't have expected it anyway. How do you think that would work exactly ?

We arrived, we bought our house, we live just outside Malaga and find the lifestyle suits us perfectly. Along the way we have met an assortment of different nationalities, become friends with some, not with many, as you would elsewhere. We have started our own businesses and the whole thing is working well for my wife and I.
I would be glad to answer any specific questions that you may have; as I'm sure
others would.

Furthermore, I think that your response about 'have a nice life etc etc ....' shows a distinct lack of patience. Patience is definitely something you will need by the bucketload when you arrive here.

I'm sure we all look forward to helping you with some answers, but do allow us to respond in our own time please.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

We're near Turis , south west (ish) from Valencia . The area you are looking at is nearer Alicante I think.

The expat community around this immediate area are very friendly and helpful. You shouldn't isolate yourselves within such a community at the expense of mixing with the locals etc but , when you first get here, it is amazing what a difference being able to sit and chat (moan) with someone over a cup of tea / glass of beer can make.

Good luck with it.

Really appreciate your reply, but where exactly are you?? Would love to know. It actually, doesnt matter where you are in Spain its really nice to know that someone bothered enough to reply. Thanks to you matey
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
We're near Turis , south west (ish) from Valencia . The area you are looking at is nearer Alicante I think.

The expat community around this immediate area are very friendly and helpful. You shouldn't isolate yourselves within such a community at the expense of mixing with the locals etc but , when you first get here, it is amazing what a difference being able to sit and chat (moan) with someone over a cup of tea / glass of beer can make.

Good luck with it.
Yes, Cocentania is about 40 mins from Alicante. Where you are sounds brilliant, a bit of a mixture of expats and locals. I do understand we shouldn't isolate ourselves from the locals and indeed we wouldn't want to, I mean that is a big part of wanting to live in Spain, getting along with them is very important to us. But yes, as you say, in the begining it is going to be a bit daunting, I expect and it must make the world of difference to have a friendly expat, whose "been there" to lend a sympathetic ear, or point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with it, and if you get stuck once you are here, there are a lot of people on this board with lots of experience.

Make sure you have a Spanish mobile (pay as you go at least) when you move, plus know the situation regarding phone and internet at the property you are buying.

Nothing worse than being stuck and not even being able to call someone and complain.

Yes, Cocentania is about 40 mins from Alicante. Where you are sounds brilliant, a bit of a mixture of expats and locals. I do understand we shouldn't isolate ourselves from the locals and indeed we wouldn't want to, I mean that is a big part of wanting to live in Spain, getting along with them is very important to us. But yes, as you say, in the begining it is going to be a bit daunting, I expect and it must make the world of difference to have a friendly expat, whose "been there" to lend a sympathetic ear, or point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Or you could read redken's cut and paste description first hand here:

http://www.property-in-spain-for-sal...cocentaina.php

Is plagiarism as serious an offence as using a Sky card in Spain?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

I think you should always give at least a byline or source for these things and quotation marks.

I don't think you can buy quotations on ebay though..........yet.....
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

CorAnglais is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst on the Alicante area , I've noticed quite a few resale properties - detached bungs with pool type places, which is the type of place we are looking for - in villages around the Elda area. Can anyone say from experience what it's like up there? We're looking for quiet, rural, but we like it hot too.

Thanks
=====
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi CorAnglais

Whilst on the Alicante area , I've noticed quite a few resale properties - detached bungs with pool type places, which is the type of place we are looking for - in villages around the Elda area. Can anyone say from experience what it's like up there? We're looking for quiet, rural, but we like it hot too.

I have lived in SAX for just over two years Sax is about 4 klms from Elda which we visit often to shop in the market, Sax also has a market and is a really nice town, we shall have to meet up one day. The Expat Community is not too bad but I prefer to mix with the locals mostly to improve my spanish, the locals are very friendly and will give you a lot of advice abd help with any problems that you may have, so long as you can speak to them and they understand what you are getting at.

Chat to you soon.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meseta
...I don't think you can buy quotations on ebay though..........yet.....
Maybe not, but you can buy Mr Spock's ears!
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

CorAnglais is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi countryboy

Yes I would not want to spend too much time with Brits either. What's the temperature like up there - is it much cooler than on the coast? My plan would be to do mucho tanning round the pool.