Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's the secret to great paella?

What's the secret to great paella?

Old May 4th 2010, 7:51 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the secret to great paella?

Originally Posted by agoreira
The crusty bit at the bottom? I thought you were an expert on all things Spanish! It's called the "socarrat".

Wow, you are very knowledgeable, I did not know that, hang head in shame Does this apply to other crusty bits?
Old May 4th 2010, 8:00 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The secret is drawing the line between "socarrat" and burned to buggery...

Mission accomplished, learned new word.
Used new word.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The secret is drawing the line between "socarrat" and burned to buggery...

Mission accomplished, learned new word.
Used new word.
Dont be American, use "burnt to buggery"
Old May 4th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Funnily enough it's not a food I'm mad about, but my partner loves it when I cook it.
The secret to a good paella, like the secret to any good food is surprisingly simple. Get someone else to cook it for you.
From what I've been told paella is really a case of bung in whatever is to hand. In some places that's fish, in others it might be lamb or pork or goat or rabbit or chicken - whatever you have lying around. Obviously some combinations may work better than others, but that will depend on the tastes and biases ("mmm, this paella is delicious - just like my sainted mother used to make it") of the eater, there's no right or wrong way to do it, and recipe books or celebrity chefs who say you have got to do it just like I told you are, basically, full of it (not paella, that is!).
Now, I know that's not particularly helpful, but it's a peasant dish and is therefore just "a handful of this, a bit of that ..." just the same as a risotto or pilau rice

Last edited by pete_l; May 4th 2010 at 9:01 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
Dont be American, use "burnt to buggery"
I seem to be losing my command of English........

BTW, my wife knew what socarrat means, and knows how to implement it, we have socarrat curry, boiled potatoes, mash, stew and even soup.

I love beans socarrat on toast..........
Old May 4th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Never quite fancied those! Here in UK,we only ever use them for fishing bait. My Spanish teacher here does collect them though to eat, she cannot understand why we don't eat them, or any other the other shellfish she collects! She's the only one I know that still collects winkles to eat!. To catch razors, you get a washing up bottle filled with salty water, go down to the beach at low tide, and you can see the holes in the sand where the razors are deep below, spray the hole with the salty water, the razor thinks the tide has come in, pops to the surface and you grab them! Easy peasy!
I might try that!
As a kid my family were quite 'good life' so we got shrimps and winkles and mussels from the east coast of England. The only thing I really liked from those were shrimps. Brown ones, peeled and on buttered toast, Yumm! But I don't like anything with gritty or gooey bits. The tinned razor clams have a long white meaty bit which chops up nicely If you don't like the other 'bits' you can chop them off!
Old May 4th 2010, 9:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

One of the chiringuitos close by does a paella negra, very popular with northen spanish as they always seem to be ordering it! never tried it. It is the ink from the Squid which colours it.

I think Pete is correct, most spanish aren't fussy about it. They sell packs in the freezer section just to pop in and I have seen younger spanish buy it. Seems many restaurants don't know how to cook it either, had some awful ones.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

I thought using stock was compulsory! If you have time, best to make your own from all the fishy leftover bits and shells, boiled up with a bit of bay, parsley and seasoning (maybe some white wine too).
And if anyone hasn't tried it I can't recommend Parika Ahumado strongly enough: forget the dulce and picante, the ahumado has a powerful taste all on it's own. Not just for paella, I use it in stews and as a seasoning too.

Roll on lunchtime...
Old May 4th 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you are very knowledgeable, I did not know that, hang head in shame
Knowledgeable??? Nooo, not really, just read a lot of Spanish stuff, some of it sticks (like socarrat!) but most of it doesn´t! I enjoy cooking, so must have read it somewhere.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to be losing my command of English........

BTW, my wife knew what socarrat means,
I should hope so! Women know these things! Burning things, that is!
Old May 4th 2010, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think Pete is correct, most spanish aren't fussy about it. .
Agree, and it doesn't have to be 100% authentic, it's what you like at the end of the day. I always regard a recipe as a loose set of guidelines, something to modify, not necessarily something to follow religiously. Leave some bits out if they don't appeal, throw in a few that do.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say the burnt bit is my favourite.

I love to dig deep and start scraping.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
One of the chiringuitos close by does a paella negra, very popular with northen spanish as they always seem to be ordering it! never tried it. It is the ink from the Squid which colours it.

I think Pete is correct, most spanish aren't fussy about it. They sell packs in the freezer section just to pop in and I have seen younger spanish buy it. Seems many restaurants don't know how to cook it either, had some awful ones.
Yes it is an important dish at least in the North of Spain. When I first visited my OH in Asturias that was the first thing her mum made me, squid in its own ink with rice. It looked like an exploded alien swimming in engine oil and I knew nothing about Spanish food at the time. However, it was delicious!

Ever since then I've always looked at things that I used to think were strange and disgusting and wanted to eat them.

Btw I love navajas too, fresh though, fried with garlic with squeezed lemon on them. You cant really get them down on the Costas as they are from Galicia. Whenever I've ordered them down here they have tasted bitter.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, sit back and relax, unashamedly the best you'll eat, and has won accolades from Argintinia, UK, New Zealand and Spain. Also, not confined to the boring original. Get a paella pan, a weber or outside wood fire, good friends and lots of drinking wine - no toffee nosed stuff. Feeds 6 - 10.
Keep your modesty hat nearby for when you serve. Drop some oil in your medium heated pan and fry off 2 chopped onions, a green and red chopped bell pepper, 3 - 4 chopped chorizo sausages, chilli flakes to suit your taste, about 15-20 cocktail sausages, and about 6 - 10 chicken drumsticks. (the drumsticks can be grilled on the open fire, season with salt, pepper and paprika)Set the done chicken and cocktail sausages aside. Into the pan drop 2-3 cups of rice, fry off quickly to absorb the oils, and then add about a pint of hot chicken or vegetable stock. Parcook the rice, stirring about now and then. About 7 mins from ready add 800gms of cubed white fish and a cup or two of frozen peas. Cover with the weber lid for 5 mins, then add calamari rings, 16 half shell mussels, about 16 prawns, a handful of black olives.Cover again for about three to 5 mins until prawns turn pink. (Place the prawns, olives and mussells decoratively about the dish). Add the chicken pieces like the spokes of a wheel and drop the cocktail sausages in between. Squeeze some lemon juice over and finish with a spray of mixed herbs. Set in the middle of the table and serve with a breakable bread and salad. Sit back and accept the compliments gracefully.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That one sounds good, wouldn't like to have to buy and cook it though

Just saw this when I was going to read finance!

http://www.eleconomista.es/nutricion...la-paella.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.