Reload this Page >

Whats La zenia like to live as oap with uk pension

Whats La zenia like to live as oap with uk pension

Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

garyandjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats La zenia like to live as oap with uk pension

Originally Posted by Domino
people considering moving to Phuket normally have been, experienced and decided.
people considering moving to Tokyo - ditto

So why not do the same in Spain ??

Visit and experience then decide, you have the time.
You may like to visit a few other places unless of course you have reason(s) for the place you think you want.

we visited 4 different parts of Spain, had one selected for us by a job decision but are still hopping around from one town to another looking, deciding (and rejecting) properties.

its a hard decision, but don't just leave it to the dolly bird in the travel agents or the biased opinions of forums
a lifetime of regret can be a very long time being unhappy

rgds
Hi , oh no i wont let my hubby go into the shop where there is a dolly bird sat there , he might like it , ha ha ,

Serious though ,we do know people that live in Murcia and we visited there and didn't like it . They took us all over too but it wasnt for us there.
We also have visited many parts of Spain too .
Something keeps telling me try La zenia, or inland maybe .

When we retire we wont be looking to work that's for sure , done that bought the t shirt , worked in the entertainments industry , run hotels and now in 3 yrs time its our time , brought the 3 kids up too and now are grand parents to 4 .

We will have a pension and money from sale of property to keep us living for along long long time ,that's if the big man up there says so ha ha

We also know what expats are like due experience form other countries we have lived and been to , we are not boozers , dont smoke , but love life , walking, talking chatting to all kinds of foreigners .

I'm a stress and bereavement councillor too , part time . love it too .

Just a bit about our selfs so you know who your talking with .

Thank you very much for your post too , cheers
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by garyandjoy
Hi , oh no i wont let my hubby go into the shop where there is a dolly bird sat there , he might like it , ha ha ,

Serious though ,we do know people that live in Murcia and we visited there and didn't like it . They took us all over too but it wasnt for us there.
We also have visited many parts of Spain too .
Something keeps telling me try La zenia, or inland maybe .

When we retire we wont be looking to work that's for sure , done that bought the t shirt , worked in the entertainments industry , run hotels and now in 3 yrs time its our time , brought the 3 kids up too and now are grand parents to 4 .

We will have a pension and money from sale of property to keep us living for along long long time ,that's if the big man up there says so ha ha

We also know what expats are like due experience form other countries we have lived and been to , we are not boozers , dont smoke , but love life , walking, talking chatting to all kinds of foreigners .

I'm a stress and bereavement councillor too , part time . love it too .

Just a bit about our selfs so you know who your talking with .

Thank you very much for your post too , cheers
If somebody had told me 10 years ago I would be happy living in a built up area on one of Spain's costas I would have laughed my head off. But here we are and very content. It's great to have the infrastructure around for daily living (especially when you have young children). I do love the wild countryside though and it's never far away wherever you live here (unless you're in a big city of course). If you have the financial resources and a thick skin when it comes to local bureaucracy you should love it!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:11 pm
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I Love New York
Sorry Tambo - I can't read or reply to your PM as it seems I need at least 3 Posts......but you could always read my Blog

From reading this thread (and you all seem a friendly bunch!) it immediately strikes me that garyandjoy don't know what they are looking for, apart from leaving the UK.

From a personal point of view, this will never be discovered by a 2 week holiday, you need to find a rental base and explore, and it is only when you have exhausted every village/town in the vicinity, every supermarket and shopping mall you then need to turn your attention to amenities, health centres, hospitals, dentists and the like. Instinct will/should kick in and tell you where you want to be.

Unless you have a master plan......lol, life in Spain can be lonely and boring and even more boring with limited funds. Ask yourself, do you need to work, do you want to spend your days on the beach or in cafes/bars or live a life similar to what you have in the UK. If the latter then my advice would be to stay where you are and travel lots.

You will not get any financial assistance and if you are contemplating a business such as a bar then immediately forget it. This leaves you with the option of a Market Stall which you can also forget (at least in the Nerja area) as spaces are allocated to Spanish Family Members or car boot sales for financially desperate ex-pats.
We have experienced ex-pats in dire situations which would never have happened if they had stayed in the UK.

As I write, I want to be back to Spain but this is not possible at present. Through my experience of Living the Dream I know that I would want to be based slightly inland. No Apartment or Town House, just a pile of stones with a little bit of land within walking distance of a Village and within easy reach of a Town.

Spain can be magical but living there is totally different to being on holiday. No amount of pen to paper can explain what it is like - as in our case you have to 'try before you buy'!
Great post, and very good advice.