Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Whats the difference between a villa and a finca?

Whats the difference between a villa and a finca?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the difference between a villa and a finca?

Probably really obvious answer but visually I cannot see the differences
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the difference between a villa and a finca?

Originally Posted by smartmove
Hi smartmove, I think a Finca is a small rustic farm where as a Villa is just a large detached house.
Are you buying one ?
Welcome to the forum..
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:29 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Fincas are generally old stone built places, wheras villas are like normal houses, sort of
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point

Not buying one right now, just keeping one eye on whats available with a view to possibly make the move over in the next year or two. From your descriptions I guess I need to stick with the Villa. I would want something reasonably new with a pool and not too far out on its own.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Not buying one right now, just keeping one eye on whats available with a view to possibly make the move over in the next year or two. From your descriptions I guess I need to stick with the Villa. I would want something reasonably new with a pool and not too far out on its own.
Still worth looking at finca's as estate agents might use the term loosely to give it a more spanish feel, my place is brand new but the builders call it Finca ? although I do have an Olive grove and Almonds, I would check them all out if I were you...you certainly have a wide choice
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Still worth looking at finca's as estate agents might use the term loosely to give it a more spanish feel, my place is brand new but the builders call it Finca ? although I do have an Olive grove and Almonds, I would check them all out if I were you...you certainly have a wide choice
I know of a lovely one with a Pool near Sax, Alicante
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

I have a Finca whic is normally a small liveable building used, in the past for storing tools etc and in my part of the world are quite prolific as they were used as overnight and weekend shelters for fruit pickers. Ours is s detached, 180 sq. mt.build,two bed finca with pool so no need to spend thousands on a villa.
I find the newer villas are very box like and lack character.
Of course the other difference is the price!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know of a lovely one with a Pool near Sax, Alicante
Rascal...

Smartmove, when you do buy one the area's around Oliva, Javea, Denia are very nice and all the people up there are Very friendly...that would be the area to go to
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I need to stick with the Villa

also called "chalets"
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi
See below.

So what is a Finca? The nearest translation is ‘farm’ but the term can be used more loosely to mean an area of land belonging to one or more owners (often members of the same family) generally with a farmhouse and outbuildings regarded as a single saleable unit. In real terms, a finca can be a rambling country estate or a small rural property. Fincas tend to be in remote areas and, obviously, for many people, this is part of their attraction – you can get far away from the crowded and built up coastal regions. It’s vital to be realistic about your needs, however. Remote can mean isolated and lacking in amenities – if a decent supermarket, a medical centre and schools are high on your list of priorities you will have to think carefully about whether a property in a remote rural area is right for you.

Pinched from another website!
LMJ
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A Finca is a plot of land which may or may not have a building on it.

It is not necessarily in the campo - there are Fincas Rusticas and Fincas Urbanas.

Generally it would be a large(ish) plot and in the campo might well be a farm with buildings on it. In the town it would be a larger plot with a house and possibly another building on it.

A Villa is normally a detached house in the campo used for holidays or recreation.

A Chalé is a building of one or two floors with a garden specifically used as a family home as opposed to a Villa which could be a holiday home.

These are the Spanish definitions - estate agents use them very differently and tend to use Finca to describe a country property and a Villa to describe a detached house (however small) usually on urban land.

Converted toolsheds on rustic land are very common (and usually illegal if used for habitation) and go under various names such a Apero, Nave and Almacen - the only difference being the size.