Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's it all about?

What's it all about?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:42 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it all about?

Originally Posted by Fred James
It might be worth noting that British Expats has a forum dedicated to those returning to the UK - for whatever reason and from whatever location.

So far there have been 142000 posts on it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
A very informative part of the forum, Fred, and I read through a small part of it. I must admit I found it a bit depressing.

But the reasons for people returning from the US or Australia seem to be quite different to the returnees from Spain, for one, it's much easier from here because of our EU membership.

Maybe it's too easy?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

On a pleasant and more welcoming note for all those old timers retuning to blighty,...a nice warm welcome from Vera Lynn who at the somewhat mature age of 92,has hit the top 20 with her latest album "We'll meet again",........the oldest living artist ever to do so.

Twenty four old time favourites incl.White Cliffs of Dover,Auf Wiedersehn Sweetheart etc.,...............has to be a sight better than some of the garbage masquarading as music which is circulating at present...........
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:53 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

has to be a sight better than some of the garbage masquarading as music which is circulating at present...........
Gosh, you sound like my late father did when I was a kid!!!! He used to say exactly the same thing about the Beatles!! LOL

Jo xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

On a pleasant and more welcoming note for all those old timers retuning to blighty,...a nice warm welcome from Vera Lynn who at the somewhat mature age of 92,has hit the top 20 with her latest album "We'll meet again",........the oldest living artist ever to do so.

Twenty four old time favourites incl.White Cliffs of Dover,Auf Wiedersehn Sweetheart etc.,...............has to be a sight better than some of the garbage masquarading as music which is circulating at present...........
I’ve just watched it on the news. 92-years old and still recording! I’m too young to remember her debut, I suppose most of us are, but I’ve learnt some of the words since and I’ve sung some of them over the years.

I remember being in charge of a really dodgy venue years ago, when trouble was about to erupt, and I rapidly put on one if her records which immediately calmed the situation.

The only other recording artist who could calm a potentially nasty situation was Max Bygraves. You cannot fight to Tulips from Amsterdam, no matter how tough you are.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:32 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve just watched it on the news. 92-years old and still recording! I’m too young to remember her debut, I suppose most of us are, but I’ve learnt some of the words since and I’ve sung some of them over the years.

I remember being in charge of a really dodgy venue years ago, when trouble was about to erupt, and I rapidly put on one if her records which immediately calmed the situation.

The only other recording artist who could calm a potentially nasty situation was Max Bygraves. You cannot fight to Tulips from Amsterdam, no matter how tough you are.
Right enough.

"Fings ain't what they used to be"....another cracker from Max!....
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: What's it all about?

Originally Posted by HBG
That's exactly what I've found over the past two to three years, but what I can't understand is why suddenly people don't like the place anymore. What has changed about Spain over the past few years, leaving aside financial and personal reasons?

I understand the negative media influences, from the UK, but it has to be more than that, some deeper reason that escapes me. Zapatero? surely not, he hasn't done anything specific aimed at expats, the recession and high unemployment here, probably a factor, a growing disgust with the ridiculous levels of corruption all around?

Could it be a growing level of disrespect from the locals towards us Guiris? Are there simply too many of us in Spain?

I sometimes think that most Spaniards would be glad to see the back of us, even if they don't say so.
One answer - The Exchange Rate has took ALL the grease from the wheel.

DSB.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Right enough.

"Fings ain't what they used to be"....another cracker from Max!....
And, who can forget the toothbrush song.. all together now.. 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush..........'
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:44 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
And, who can forget the toothbrush song.. all together now.. 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush..........'
.......and a white sports coat and a pink carnation?

Ling a longa Max!......