Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Monkeysocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would you do?

We have a home in the Republic of Ireland and could sell it for at least €150,000. So with that in your pocket, a missus and a 12 & 13 year old in tow, where would you go to live in a place not directly on the coast and maybe no more than 10 miles from the coast? Also would you own or rent a property?

Im going on the assumption I will not be a disability allowance as Im trying to be optimistic concerning upcoming medical treatment- wow it would be good to work again
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Monkeysocks
where would you go to live in a place not directly on the coast and maybe no more than 10 miles from the coast?
I would find a job, then go and find a place to live near that. Jobs are much, much harder to find in Spain than houses.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:44 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you, I'd not sell your house. I'd look for work in both your own country and Spain and if you're lucky enough to get work in Spain - then I'd rent a place in Spain and rent out your house! Certainly come over and have a good look around and see what you can find, what you think... etc

I would be concerned that your children would cope with the language change at school and flourish. They maybe ok, but once they're over 10ish, its not easy for them and many fall by the wayside

Jo xxxx
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:50 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Please Monkeysocks...for the sake of your children and their education..please DO NOT come to Spain at the moment.

Let them finish their Irish education and then come..at their ages it will be SO SO difficult.

A different education system..and a different language.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to agree, it is a really bad age to move children, unless you already know a place and have friends or family there that they can relate to. They are almost (or already!) adolescents and this is such a vulnerable age in the development of their personality and friendships. Perhaps if they could go to an international school it wouldn't be so bad as at least the language isn't an issue. I am all for adventure and new beginnings but I think this one is tricky. Just my opinion, obviously! Good luck. If you are considering the move, somewhere like Alhaurin de la Torre (where jojojo lives) might be nice, near Malaga, the airport, the coast and has a nice mix of Spanish and "foreigners".
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I tend to agree, it is a really bad age to move children, unless you already know a place and have friends or family there that they can relate to. They are almost (or already!) adolescents and this is such a vulnerable age in the development of their personality and friendships. Perhaps if they could go to an international school it wouldn't be so bad as at least the language isn't an issue. I am all for adventure and new beginnings but I think this one is tricky. Just my opinion, obviously! Good luck. If you are considering the move, somewhere like Alhaurin de la Torre (where jojojo lives) might be nice, near Malaga, the airport, the coast and has a nice mix of Spanish and "foreigners".
Guys thanks- the kids will be staying in school here, maybe when they get through college we'll think about moving to Spain.
Good luck everyone!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Guys thanks- the kids will be staying in school here, maybe when they get through college we'll think about moving to Spain.
Good luck everyone!
Sensible way to go.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

We have a home in the Republic of Ireland and could sell it for at least €150,000. So with that in your pocket, a missus and a 12 & 13 year old in tow, where would you go to live in a place not directly on the coast and maybe no more than 10 miles from the coast? Also would you own or rent a property?

Im going on the assumption I will not be a disability allowance as Im trying to be optimistic concerning upcoming medical treatment- wow it would be good to work again
wow, dejavu again...i have a home in spain and am hoping to sell it and move to ireland....have lived here for over eight years and think it is time to go home. good luck with your move and i hope it works out for you in these difficult times....
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
wow, dejavu again...i have a home in spain and am hoping to sell it and move to ireland....have lived here for over eight years and think it is time to go home. good luck with your move and i hope it works out for you in these difficult times....
Many thanks michaleen oge, I really appreciate that and good luck with your move
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Many thanks michaleen oge, I really appreciate that and good luck with your move
luck? who needs luck when you're irish????
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

This seems more relevant than kids education.