Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What will I need Satellite

What will I need Satellite

Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

eric4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What will I need Satellite

What will I need to get UK TV in Javea I have been told my dish will not be big enough to get a signal . And if I do need a larger dish is it better to buy in the UK like maplins do a big one at £99 or is it cheaper to buy in Spain.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will I need Satellite

Originally Posted by caravanning4u
What will I need to get UK TV in Javea I have been told my dish will not be big enough to get a signal . And if I do need a larger dish is it better to buy in the UK like maplins do a big one at £99 or is it cheaper to buy in Spain.
Errrr ... what are you doing? Bringing your existing sat box and card??? Can't see the site being too happy with you plonking a 1.8 or 2.4 mtr dish on your roof which is what you will need to get SKY, but stranger things have happened I guess
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

I can't see why not what do other people do to get uk telly then . We could bring video's I suppose but I like to keep up to date with the news. I don't have anything at the moment only freeview just enquiring what others use.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:29 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

No shortage of Sky installers here you know.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

I can't see why not what do other people do to get uk telly then . We could bring video's I suppose but I like to keep up to date with the news. I don't have anything at the moment only freeview just enquiring what others use.

Wow!! Are you planning on staying for sometime in the campground? If so, I would wait till you get here and see what they allow you to have at the campsite. We only have regular analogue ovr the air TV here at the apatment building we live at and we get CNN in addition to the regular Spanish channels plus some strange german ones. CNN is broadcast from London and does cover some Brit events but concentrates more towards the International scene.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

We will be there from January and return in April so about 3 months .
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Mitzyboy is right - you will need a huge dish to receive Sky in Javea.

A small DVD player is an option. Then you can rent DVDs which will have English as well as Spanish soundtracks. Plenty of bars in Javea for football. etc.,
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You could get Canal+ I guess, but I'm not sure what the contract requirements are.

I dont know what caravan site restrictions are on sat disks .... you WILL need at least a 1.8 though to get SKY, and that will set you back anything between 300 & 650 euros roughly
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Look at this dish it's £99 from maplins

Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

AndyMan is on a distinguished road

If its this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...18m10#overview

Then that is a very good price for a 1.8m dish, but remember as it is prime focus you will need the correct LNB , another £70.00 off the same site.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:56 pm
Senior Moment

Look at this dish it's £99 from maplins

http://upload3.postimage.org/140634_...6c/BIGDISH.jpg
Go for it then
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A lot do have SKY dishes, BUT, it's all rather illegal as they do NOT broadcast to outside the UK, many who buy systems out here have them ALL registered at one UK address, you can't get assistance from SKY if there are problems, but have to rely on the installer. Lots more people use Telemicro Levante, which rebroadcast about 34 channels, mainly UK but some Spanish, the only problem bering that a lot of these change, sometimes it seems daily. In all cases you have to consider the installation fee, which can be up to 500 Euros, if you DIY then you need all the correct cabling etc, and I would suspect a line tester to ensure you have the dish pointed in the right direction. SKY viewers sometimes have problems at certain times of the day in receiving some of the channels.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan
If its this one
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...18m10#overview

Then that is a very good price for a 1.8m dish, but remember as it is prime focus you will need the correct LNB , another £70.00 off the same site.
The dish in the picture looks a lot like a Fortech Star product. I have one of
their 2.4m dishes, with the most sensitive digibox I could find and the best
prime focus LNB around and I still can hardly get a thing on it.
At best, BBC1,2 are very blocky and break up all the time. ITV is even worse.
Now, it could well be my setup - I only spent 3 weeks trying to get it all
aligned, or it could be the dish as described by smallbridge in this
post.
There are other warnings on the web about these dishes, too
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

If you want the news, you can pick up most of the south beam channels (inc. Sky News) in Javea with a 60cm dish. It's only the north beam channels like the UK terrestrials that you need a 2.4m.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by derek500
If you want the news, you can pick up most of the south beam channels (inc. Sky News) in Javea with a 60cm dish. It's only the north beam channels like the UK terrestrials that you need a 2.4m.
Well I've got a 1.8 Derek and I struggle with that ..... BBC goes off early evening now, Channel 4 goes in the afternoon and comes back, I've lost most of the movie channels apart from 3 in the morningish. Sky News is OK all day, sky sports 3 goes late afternoon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.