Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What will be best to use?

What will be best to use?

Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default What will be best to use?

Hi

When i move over next year hubby will be staying in the uk for 2 weeks of the month.
We speak to each other about 5 times a day now. What will be cost effective way of calling him when in Spain.

Thanks in advance xxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will be best to use?

If you have a computer at both ends you can use Skype and talk (and video) for free.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:06 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Eurodirect card. You can buy them at the tobaconists. They are either 6€ or 12€ and, once you have started using it, they are valid for 45 days. I find it´s better for me to buy the 6€ one but it may be different for you if you are calling your husband 5 times a day. The 6€ one has a credit of 300 minutes. I don´t know about the more expensive one.

The other alternative is Skype, where you can call other Skype users for free. But that depends on what kind of a setup you have at home with regard to internet access.

I´m sure others will come along with alternative suggestions.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Hi
He will have a laptop but it wont be homebased as he wont be at home he will be at work or in a hotel.

Is skype easy to use i have not had it before so would not know what to do lol. xxxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

http://websearch.about.com/od/freedownloads/ig/Skype/

this should get you started.

its dead easy and VERY cheap, or in most cases, free. It is also available on some mobile phones
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/allf...s/3skypephone/

Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

He will have a laptop with one of them things you stick in the side from o2
not sure what they are called as im not very good with technology lol.

xxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

its called a "dongle" (!) seriously!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by painterhombre
its called a "dongle" (!) seriously!
Hubby obviously knows a bit more than me he laughed and said it was a dongle lol.

xxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

You can also SMS to the UK through Skype for 0.08 cents, which is a lot better than the .60 cents Orange wants as per the contract!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:31 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

My friend´s OH is a truck driver. He has a laptop and he has a Skype phone attached to it via the USB port. She phones him for free every day from her laptop and Skype phone.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your advice xxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
You can also SMS to the UK through Skype for 0.08 cents, which is a lot better than the .60 cents Orange wants as per the contract!
I think it's nearer 11 cents but hey-ho! You can also send video feed which can be useful if you have children etc. etc.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjh
My friend´s OH is a truck driver. He has a laptop and he has a Skype phone attached to it via the USB port. She phones him for free every day from her laptop and Skype phone.
Hi
As my husband has his own business he will be in his truck most of the time apart from the nights in a hotel so this seems a good way of contacting him.

Thanks xxx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

No the 11 cents is the maximum roaming charge - so if I were a Brit on holiday here I could SMS UK for 11 cents max. But as I live here and I foolishly did not check the SMS charges Orange charges .60 but now I don't use it because I use Skype and save 52 cents every time. (and they add up!)
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Try using the eurodirect card with vodafone sim set to 60 mins for 1 min. This charges you 50 cents for 1 hour on vodafone to connect with the eurodirect number and takes 40 cents from the eurodirect card. That is 1.5 cents per minute using your mobile wherever you are.

This is most likely cheaper than a skype to skype call if you work out the online charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.