Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What type of Spanish town do you prefer

View Poll Results: What type of place most suits you?
Working City, Seville or Madrid like where integration is normal
17.95%
Urbanizacion where Brits are near
20.51%
Where you are the only foriegner, more or less
30.77%
Rural place with no neighbours
28.21%
Pete's Chippy with Red Lion option
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

What type of Spanish town do you prefer

Old May 31st 2008, 11:44 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default What type of Spanish town do you prefer?

On moving here, what do you want - a working city where expats integrate & co-exist easily with Spanish (eg Madrid, Seville etc)?
An urbanizacion on a costa near other Brits/English speakers? (Esuri, Costa del Sol etc)
A place where you are virtually the only foreigner? (Too many to mention, but you get the drift)
A rural fortress without any neighbours?
Living above The Red Lion with Pete's Chippy a stone's throw away and no sign of any Spanish menus whatsoever?
Old May 31st 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What type of Spanish town do you prefer?

I only use my place for holidays and short breaks but feel fairly sure I could live there full time. Denia would tick both of the first boxes and is the right mix for me.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
On moving here, what do you want - a working city where expats integrate & co-exist easily with Spanish (eg Madrid, Seville etc)?
An urbanizacion on a costa near other Brits/English speakers? (Esuri, Costa del Sol etc)
A place where you are virtually the only foreigner? (Too many to mention, but you get the drift)A rural fortress without any neighbours?
Living above The Red Lion with Pete's Chippy a stone's throw away and no sign of any Spanish menus whatsoever?

Best choice for us. We wanted to live in an ordinary house in an ordinary working town full of Spanish people or not live in Spain at all. Also wanted all of the usual amenities of a small town and did not want to be isolated from people. Avoided living in a small coastal town because of it being dead in the winter but chose a town a little inland.

Rosemary
Old May 31st 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Best choice for us. We wanted to live in an ordinary house in an ordinary working town full of Spanish people or not live in Spain at all. Also wanted all of the usual amenities of a small town and did not want to be isolated from people. Avoided living in a small coastal town because of it being dead in the winter but chose a town a little inland.

Rosemary
Yes, that was something I was keen to avoid. I have had holidays in places like that in late October; and I did not enjoy the isolation.
Old May 31st 2008, 12:12 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting points. Was supposed to be a poll but can't do it from my mobile. PM'd mods to see if they can help
Old May 31st 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting points. Was supposed to be a poll but can't do it from my mobile. PM'd mods to see if they can help
That's fine, I'll tick a box once it's uploaded.
Old May 31st 2008, 12:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate but we can`t do it, it has to be done on loading the thread by you, or admin.
Old May 31st 2008, 12:39 pm

JDR u have dropped in my estimation. I thought u were a techno whizz who could do anything.
No worries, when I get to PC I'll do it again properly and maybe u could merge threads???
Old May 31st 2008, 12:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

JDR u have dropped in my estimation. I thought u were a techno whizz who could do anything.
No worries, when I get to PC I'll do it again properly and maybe u could merge threads???
Sure. ;-))
Old May 31st 2008, 1:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Curious one this actually because its something we are agonising over at the moment.

Me personally I want somewhere Spanish, as many will know I love the Spanish as a general people and can't see why living in Spain among the British is such a good thing...............

But..........

I also have a partner to think of, and she speaks almost no Spanish, will have few if any friends out there and may well be alone initially when I first start working.
Because of this it will be unfair of me to make her live in a totally Spanish area and so w will be forced initially to live somewhere more "British".

I guess it comes down to so many things in life, its what the situation and circumstance allow.
Old May 31st 2008, 1:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Because of this it will be unfair of me to make her live in a totally Spanish area and so w will be forced initially to live somewhere more "British".

I guess it comes down to so many things in life, its what the situation and circumstance allow.
Why do you have to live somewhere more British. Where we are the town is predominently Spanish, but there are still Brits and other nationalities around ......... there is a full spectrum, it doesnt have to be either the Brit part of Benidorm or right out in the Campo somewhere
Old May 31st 2008, 1:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why do you have to live somewhere more British. Where we are the town is predominently Spanish, but there are still Brits and other nationalities around ......... there is a full spectrum, it doesnt have to be either the Brit part of Benidorm or right out in the Campo somewhere
I agree, but she is nervous about having to interact with the Spanish initially and I feel it would be unfair to have her worrying about that as well as the move.

I know she will come out of her shell, but she had never lived anywhere but her village in Sussex
Old May 31st 2008, 1:24 pm

She might surprise u.

Maybe being thrown in at the deep end, with a guiri area not a too long a drive away, might actually be not as bad as u fear.

Going to an area where there are already established guiris could be counterproductive for her if she gets dragged into all the petty expat politics and sniping.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:16 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Live in a third world shithole in the middle of nowhere surrounded by Gypsies, mad donkeys, and a sprinkling of "care in the community" Brits! Works for me!
Old May 31st 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Remote agricultural mountain village, a few ancient hippies, a few demented property developers and retired burnt out city traders yet only 40 mins from the Costa which is very Spanish.
What I like best is I am the only nutter in the Village darling and I love to mince around the Plaza in my pink PVC leotard sampling Tapas and entertaining the villagers who all love me deeply....they say I should be in the cementario but I don't need any cement at the moment, so I don't understand..oh well not to worry then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.