Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What gives you away for being British in Spain?

What gives you away for being British in Spain?

Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What gives you away for being British in Spain?

Originally Posted by JLFS
The Spanish are very conservative in food matters, they may go to eat in a Chinese or Indian and enjoy it, but when it comes to home cooking, they make the same meals are always.
If it's good home cooked food, I can't say I blame them. My better half loves it when I cook traditional British nosh like Toad in the Hole, Shepherds Pie or a roast meal with spuds and veg. I'm happy to continue cooking the same dishes I'm comfortable with. I leave the exotic and/or spicy stuff to her (she's from the Middle East).
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:02 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well I am actually quite proud of our little restaurant and its food and my dig about "Pork and Chips" was slightly tongue in cheek. However it is hard to get fresh vegetables in most Spanish restaurants.

I make no apologies for being a British establishment in Spain. One of the strengths of the British food scene is its cultural diversity - such that I've never seen anywhere else in the world. We don't turn our noses up in the UK at Indian, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Polish, Ameri forget that last one. We embrace the best of world cooking into British food, why should we not export the best of British (i.e. truly international) food to Spain?
I applaud what you’re trying to do – and depending on where your customers come from, give them what they want, even if it’s sausage, egg and chips.

The most popular eating venues in these parts, apart from the Chinese and Indian places, are just that, English to the bone. Traditional Sunday roasts fill the venues, it’s what the customers want, including inquisitive Spaniards.

I suspect that most of the Spaniards also come for the accompanying entertainment, karaoke mostly, and they’re never shy to join in.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Have to admit I've never been to the place. But judging on the food and drink that comes from the place (Pulpo Gallego, Pote Gallego, Empanada, Albarino wine etc) I'm sure I'm missing out!
Yes, you are missing out on those foods, but when you have lived most of your life eating veg, as in meat and 2, your body needs it, to feel 100 per cent.

Apart from the grelos in the pote, and the fried onion and red peppers in the empanada, no veg used in any of these dishes, unless you count the boiled spuds somethimes that go with pulpo. Also the UNTO that is used in the pote and caldo Gallego is usually quite offensive to the British palate and sense of smell.
It is rancid fat and has a very pungent smell, sort of like a heavy aniseed smell.

Whenever you have roast meat of any kind you usually get a little bit of red pepper place on top, and that is my experience of the veg served in restauants.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you have never spent much time in Galicia.

I think when people talk about veg, they mean a selection of veg to accompany the meat and spuds, not chickpeas or such in callos which is more of an ingredient than a veg.

In Galicia there are a lot of "spoon and one pot" meals, which as you say have beans and chickpeas in the main meal, but they are more pulses rather than vegetables.

There seem to be very few dishes that use vegetables, a couple that spring to mind are "cod and coliflower" a stew, and lacon con grelos, but it would not occur to anyone to eat coliflower with beef or pork and spuds for example.

We are used to eating lots of veg, and when we spend more than a couple of days in Galicia, we really feel as though we need to have veg, as it is very rare to eat any up there.
Strange thing, because Galicia must have the best possible climate for growing the widest range of vegetables in all of Spain.
Most of the tiny self sufficient farms I saw up there, seemed to grow quite a good selection, though I can't recall seeing too much of them in the menus around bigger towns.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:10 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Strange thing, because Galicia must have the best possible climate for growing the widest range of vegetables in all of Spain.
Most of the tiny self sufficient farms I saw up there, seemed to grow quite a good selection, though I can't recall seeing too much of them in the menus around bigger towns.
Thats right it has the best climate for growing veg, so I dont know why more isnt eaten.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:14 pm
Banned

If it's good home cooked food, I can't say I blame them. My better half loves it when I cook traditional British nosh like Toad in the Hole, Shepherds Pie or a roast meal with spuds and veg. I'm happy to continue cooking the same dishes I'm comfortable with. I leave the exotic and/or spicy stuff to her (she's from the Middle East).
What I am trying to say is that most if not all the English people I have come into contact with, know how to make a chilli and/or a curry. These have become part of their "home cooking" and are made on a fairly regular basis.

on the hand I dont know any Spanish women of the same age who make curry at home.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

That may be why they're so conservative. .
Obviously, that's why I stated they don't live in cities, talk about stating the obvious. But you couldn't go into hardly any UK village or town without coming across all manner of "foreign" food outlets, be it Chinese, Indian,kebab, or whatever. I live in a very small town, more a village really, and there are Italian, Indian, Chinese, kebab, Spanish, Thai etc
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right it has the best climate for growing veg, so I dont know why more isnt eaten.
Strange! As I say, we always eat Spanish, but invariably if anything comes with veg, it's a disaster. Normally a little pile of pale, insipid looking and tasting mess which has had the life boiled out of it. The "greens" seem a white, soggy mess, totally bland with no taste whatsoever. More power to the man from Jimena with his fresh veg!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for helping educate a non uni graduate.
Hey, that's two of us! My father died very young, and my mother was left with four of us to bring up, as soon as we could leave school, we were out earning a wage!
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Strange! As I say, we always eat Spanish, but invariably if anything comes with veg, it's a disaster. Normally a little pile of pale, insipid looking and tasting mess which has had the life boiled out of it. The "greens" seem a white, soggy mess, totally bland with no taste whatsoever. More power to the man from Jimena with his fresh veg!
They do often seem to cook and stew veg, almost beyond recognition.
It should be cooked just enough and no more, so that the garden freshness and quality is always retained.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:31 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I applaud what you’re trying to do – and depending on where your customers come from, give them what they want, even if it’s sausage, egg and chips.

The most popular eating venues in these parts, apart from the Chinese and Indian places, are just that, English to the bone. Traditional Sunday roasts fill the venues, it’s what the customers want, including inquisitive Spaniards.

I suspect that most of the Spaniards also come for the accompanying entertainment, karaoke mostly, and they’re never shy to join in.
Thanks for that.

Where we are, Sausage egg and chips wouldn't work but Cumberland sausage with mustard mash and red onion gravy is very popular. Get beyond the stereotypical British food and it is as varied and as good as it gets.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 12:02 am
On the road again.

Thanks for that.

Where we are, Sausage egg and chips wouldn't work but Cumberland sausage with mustard mash and red onion gravy is very popular. Get beyond the stereotypical British food and it is as varied and as good as it gets.
You seem to be doing an excellent job there, jimenato.
Lets hope you can educate the Spanish into enjoying lots of nice fresh healthy veggies that haven't been boiled to buggery.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

What I am trying to say is that most if not all the English people I have come into contact with, know how to make a chilli and/or a curry. These have become part of their "home cooking" and are made on a fairly regular basis.

on the hand I dont know any Spanish women of the same age who make curry at home.
Heh, you reckon most English women (the younger set) even know how to cook? I appreciate they're out earning a living, climbing the career pole (!), but I fear many young women would find it hard to boil an egg. And if they do attempt a curry, it'd be with the cook-with sauce in a jar ie very easy. In fact thinking about it,that's true of the older generation. Very few of us cook a curry from scratch - we'd either use the pre-prepared sauce or (in reality) use the takeaway/restaurant. I'm sure a certain poster will now jump in and claim everyone in his village cooks curries from scratch, and always have done.... but I've lived in several parts of the UK and never met anyone who did this, unless they actually sold the stuff in their restaurant or (in one occasion) a pub.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:43 am
Not Banned (yet)

Thanks for that.

I agree that cooked right, and with the right ingredients, British food is great. Good to hear you're flying the flag for good British nosh. I've done my best to dispel foreigners poor view of British cooking over the years. Unfortunately it's an uphill battle - we're seen as having the worst food in Europe
http://thejetpacker.com/what-country...he-worst-food/
Various surveys in different countries constantly place us bottom. I suspect part of the reason is visitors to the country only come across microwaved meals in pubs or takeaways from dodgy chicken and kebab shops in central London. Even the food dished up in expensive hotels is often a dissapointment. They never have exposure to wonderful home cooking, which is a pity.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:12 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
Obviously, that's why I stated they don't live in cities, talk about stating the obvious. But you couldn't go into hardly any UK village or town without coming across all manner of "foreign" food outlets, be it Chinese, Indian,kebab, or whatever. I live in a very small town, more a village really, and there are Italian, Indian, Chinese, kebab, Spanish, Thai etc
Not all villages are the same obviously, even within a region. But away from the Costas I find Spanish villages share one common feature that makes them totally different to a lot of British villages (and to clarify, I'm comparing villages in the southern part and Midlands - Scottish villages for example have kept their character). The UK villages are full of incomers, and indeed in some places have become commuter villages. Sometimes this allows the newcomers to set up delicatessens, take-aways etc, sometimes it leads to the local shops closing down. Spanish villages (when they don't collapse totally and become ghost towns) tend to be occupied by families who've always lived there, and even when folk move to the city to find work, they often hang on to their family home. This is clearly a generalisation, and I'm sure people can quote exceptions, but it's what I've seen in large areas across Spain eg Aragon, Castilla-Leon, Castilla-La Mancha, even parts of Valencia province.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.