Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What food do you miss

What food do you miss

Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: What food do you miss

The foods I definitely miss are bacon and pork scratchings. We can get most other things, even if they're not the best or are expensive, but there's only The Food Hall to supply bacon (and sausages) and I have to get pork scratchings from the UK (even though the Spanish versions are OK, they're not the same as the UK ones).

I found Marmite on sale just after stocking up, curry pastes/sauces/spices are available, there are decent Indian restaurants in Madrid, though my wife hasn't had as many opportunities on that front, so we have to make a special effort; brown sauce, tea, some cheese, all available. There are even some English bitters available from the supermarkets, if not in the bars.

And, of course, there's excellent Spanish food and drink, so it's not exactly a problem.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 6:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

....and after you've lived her a while you'll find your tastes change anyway

children especially, if they attend Spanish school, will learn to like & even prefer spanish food.

my girls loved 'Angel Delight' when we were in the UK, so I bought some for them as a treat.

Yuk!! they said after just one spoonful...'can I have some crema cataluna please?'
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

PHP Code:
Yuk!! they said after just one spoonful...'can I have some crema cataluna please 
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Anyone found a place to buy fresh coriander/cilantro? It's eluding me at the moment.
In Valencia province it was in all the markets, but the only places I've seen it in Cadiz province are Carrefoure, in those diddy little sealed bags, and in garden centres at this time of year. I've never been successful in keeping it for long. As soon as the weather warms up, my cilantro bolts and then droops. For cooking I buy those jars of concentrated coriander by Bart, and use the ground and seeds as well.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryg
Hi there,
I've never grown basil myself, but have bought the little pots in supermarkets and then reptted them....snipping off what I needed at the time. I think most herbs are easy to grow, but they do like water. I have got pots of thyme, rosemary, lemon thyme, mint and coriander on the go. The thyme and rosemary were from cuttings that someone gave me years ago.
We use a lot of garlic, ginger and chillis. I haven't seen much in the way of chillis on sale.... I freeze the chillis whole and chop them from frozen. Ginger can be frozen whole and then grated as needed. Garlic is always available. Cumin, Tumeric, dried chillis and Garam massala....I take a large bag of each over with us and it lasts us a good few months. Oh and Walkers Wood extra hot chilli sauce and Jerk Seasoning. Again I just take plenty of supplies. We eat mainly Indian spiced foods or West Indian meals and my husband makes the most delicious curries. We love most Spanish food but I draw the line at conciously eating snails, (it's ok if I don't know about it.) We really don't miss anything typically English though.
Mary
Have you got a recipe for Jerk chicken? I can remember going to an outdoor festival in London many years ago and eating Jerk chicken on a paper plate - the best meal I have ever had. Have tried doing it myself with little success!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Can't you grown the raspberries and rhubarb Glynis ?? And surely there must be atame farmer somewhere who will sell you fresh milk that you can separate the cream from?? Typing this is making me hungry !!!
Tried growing raspberries - brought over from UK but they shrivelled in the hot sun. Don't know about rhubarb but don't really have the room
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Seedless grapes, for a country that grows millions of grapes, its sooo hard to buy seedless grapes, (bought my own vines now )
yes and a good indian curry,

thats about it really, I just love the food you get here,

Jenny
I have grapes growing in my garden and they are seedless....
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by glynis
Have you got a recipe for Jerk chicken? I can remember going to an outdoor festival in London many years ago and eating Jerk chicken on a paper plate - the best meal I have ever had. Have tried doing it myself with little success!
Absolutly! I'll have to write it out tomorrow though as it's late now. I love jerked chicken and pork....infact we had jerked pork this evening for supper....yummy!
Mary
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:38 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Can't believe people will miss these foods for long because so many younger Brits have moved out and are opening British food shops and even Spanish chains are stocking these sorts of items now such as Mas e Mas and Carrefoure too.

I even heard Specsavers are opening a branch in my town - will be like walking down the UK high street soon!

Mark
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by glynis
Hi Glynis,
I have dug out a recipe book that my friend sent me from Jamaica....but to tell the truth it's far easier to buy the ready made jerk seasoning. I only use 'Walkers Wood' or 'Dunns River' brand of Jerk Seasoning. (not the jerk marinade sauce) If you like your food hot with a good kick then use a teaspoon per chicken portion.(Works really well on pork spare rib steaks) Slash the chicken and squeeze lemon juice over it, then rub in a generous teaspoon of JS into the cuts. Leave to marinade over night then Barbeque or grill.
You can do it yourself from scratch using: onion, escallions, fresh thme, scotch bonnet, pimento, salt,lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, cinnamen and nutmeg...just wang it in the food processor...but like I say, much easier to use it from a jar. Tescos and Asda sell the Walkers Wood brand.
Mary
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:44 pm
scot chick

scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When we're there we don't really miss any type of food because we just like the kind of food thats available there and find we adapt very quickly.
The wife & I have had this discussion as we will be moving there for good later in the year, and we've come to the conclusion that the only thing we will really miss is a good curry now and again!
you dont have to miss curries as there are loads of chinese & indian resturants here but the indians do tend to be a bit on the expensive side there are also lots of british supermarkets popping up everwhere so there really is nothing that you cant get we are scottish and we even manage to buy haggis here !!!!!!