Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What food do you miss

What food do you miss

Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:36 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all
Default What food do you miss

After reading some of the answers on various threads, my wife wondered if there were any foods/drinks not available in Spain that you really miss. Marmite and Worcestershire Sauce spring to mind, after looking at an online shop these are available but seem very expensive.
regards
Kevray
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What food do you miss

When we're there we don't really miss any type of food because we just like the kind of food thats available there and find we adapt very quickly.
The wife & I have had this discussion as we will be moving there for good later in the year, and we've come to the conclusion that the only thing we will really miss is a good curry now and again!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

My other half would agree with you re curry, friend of ours when over makes half a dozen and we freeze them for later.
Me, I miss sausages, god knows why never ate them in UK and cornish pasties.
But, I have lost my taste for most things British, as we cannot get any British stuff hereabouts, so have to eat like the locals.
Having said tha,t the veg comes straight from the ground, always being given far too much, but is really tasty. Excellent neighbours.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by pwwm
My other half would agree with you re curry, friend of ours when over makes half a dozen and we freeze them for later.
Me, I miss sausages, god knows why never ate them in UK and cornish pasties.
But, I have lost my taste for most things British, as we cannot get any British stuff hereabouts, so have to eat like the locals.
Having said tha,t the veg comes straight from the ground, always being given far too much, but is really tasty. Excellent neighbours.
Sausages and Marmite seem to come up a lot as the things missed most. I'd discount curry because it's not hard to make your own from time to time. Yorkshire pud and gravy aren't difficult to make either if you're roasting a cut of beef, every now and again.

I also like mexican food and it used to be difficult to get jalapeños, sour cream and tortillas (although the latter can be made fairly easily) to make fajitas and tacos, but you can now get these, or passable replacements.

But the majority of my diet there is good old Spanish cooking.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Cool Re: What food do you miss

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Sausages and Marmite seem to come up a lot as the things missed most. I'd discount curry because it's not hard to make your own from time to time. Yorkshire pud and gravy aren't difficult to make either if you're roasting a cut of beef, every now and again.

I also like mexican food and it used to be difficult to get jalapeños, sour cream and tortillas (although the latter can be made fairly easily) to make fajitas and tacos, but you can now get these, or passable replacements.

But the majority of my diet there is good old Spanish cooking.

I used to run a website that sold British food to eExpatsaround the world and I found rather than a few things people just requested a lot of one thing like Chocolate ddigestivesor a particular cereal. Sadly it didn't work because of the cost of exporting the food was about 3 times the cost of the food itself.
I did get a lot of enquires though not really from Spain mostly France, the States and Australia.

Helen
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:40 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by helenp
I used to run a website that sold British food to eExpatsaround the world and I found rather than a few things people just requested a lot of one thing like Chocolate ddigestivesor a particular cereal. Sadly it didn't work because of the cost of exporting the food was about 3 times the cost of the food itself.
I did get a lot of enquires though not really from Spain mostly France, the States and Australia.

Helen
We lived in the States and there was a shop in New York that when I was up there on business we would use name blooming escapes me now.
Missed good curry until we found a curry house that was run by a guy from Manchester who the cooked Britis versions as he called it for us.
Marmite was missed most by my little girl
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenp

Helen
Chocolate digestives are available in most Supermarkets, Carrafour 1€ a packet, also most of the other stuff mentioned is there too
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Seedless grapes, for a country that grows millions of grapes, its sooo hard to buy seedless grapes, (bought my own vines now )
yes and a good indian curry,

thats about it really, I just love the food you get here,

Jenny
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Raspberries and rhubarb. I did also miss Shiphams Anchovey paste until I happened to mention this to someone and ever since everyone brings it out to me, now I have a cupboard full and have stopped eating it!! Oh yes, and Devon Clotted Cream - the real stuff.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Sausages and Marmite seem to come up a lot as the things missed most.
Hi, I'd agree with you on the sausages and marmite.
How about square sausage and pan loaf?
Does anybody know if they grow in Spain a fruit called "Lanzones"? It comes from S.E. Asia, it's seasonal (November, in Asia), with a very bitter stone in the centre, and I have not eaten them for decades!!
Carol
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:54 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I don't live there yet, but I get overexcited in the supermarkets !! All those amazing vegetables and ripe fruit. Makes old Sainsburys seem really dull when I get back.However if any of you need to know.. there is a shop in the heart of Venice that sells Heinz baked beans!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:51 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Thanks for all your replies, given us food for thought
Our daughter adores marmite soldiers so I guess we will have to take industrial size jar with us, agree about local Spanish food, but why is it that when browsing property sites and looking at pictures of kitchens, in a typical (if there is such) Spanish townhouse they have a baby belling twin electric hob and no cooker/oven ? We are really puzzled by this, we know that many Spanish eat out but not all the time.
Regards
Kevray
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray
Thanks for all your replies, given us food for thought
Our daughter adores marmite soldiers so I guess we will have to take industrial size jar with us, agree about local Spanish food, but why is it that when browsing property sites and looking at pictures of kitchens, in a typical (if there is such) Spanish townhouse they have a baby belling twin electric hob and no cooker/oven ? We are really puzzled by this, we know that many Spanish eat out but not all the time.
Regards
Kevray

they cook on the hob a lot!!!

A lot, if not most, of traditional Spanish dishes are cooked on the hob rather than in the oven. We have several 'Asadores' in town - shops where they roast chickens to take away, and any other meat that you want if you order in advance. I frequently buy roast chicken, it works out hardly any more expensive than roasting one yourself, and the herbs they use make it taste fantastic.

if only they were open on a Sunday.....................

back to the original point, when we moved over here just over 2 yrs ago, my then 4 yr old would eat nothing but English sausages! Even in Javea it wasn't that easy to find them then!
Now, we gave her some english sausages the other day & she refused to eat them - she much prefers the spanish ones now!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

... agree about local Spanish food, but why is it that when browsing property sites and looking at pictures of kitchens, in a typical (if there is such) Spanish townhouse they have a baby belling twin electric hob and no cooker/oven ? We are really puzzled by this, we know that many Spanish eat out but not all the time.
Regards
Kevray
A lot of cooking is done with a pressure cooker. Also, check around the back for the horno de leña - the quaint outside wood-fired oven
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

daveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant future

After reading some of the answers on various threads, my wife wondered if there were any foods/drinks not available in Spain that you really miss. Marmite and Worcestershire Sauce spring to mind, after looking at an online shop these are available but seem very expensive.
regards
Kevray
Discost and Mas y Mas Supermarket sell these items.
Also Quick Save who can charge through the nose for most English Foods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.