Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you think our chances are?

What do you think our chances are?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

DonCan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you think our chances are?

Greetings well-informed BE people!

I'd appreciate your input about our conundrum.

I'm a British passport holder, my fiancee is Austrian. Our toddler daughter has dual nationality. I'm 46 and she's 41.

We want to bring our child up under the sun with an outdoors lifestyle. We visited the Costa Del Sol in January and were taken with what we saw. We can envisage a good life there, having some friends and a few languages between us - but Spanish isn't one of them, but we can learn.

We are perplexed by the residency question as we are on shaky ground in terms of proving self-sufficiency. We have enough money to buy a decent property and can live for about a year on savings. Our job prospects seem bleak - our skills are just not in demand over there.

So my question is: if we were to buy a property are we likely to be granted residencia? If we were to rent and show money in the bank good for 5 years would that be considered good enough for residencia?

I've just started a new online-based business that is only going to be profitable in about a year's time. It will most likely still be under the €11k tax threshold in its second year. Would incorporating (SL) or going autonomo help our case?

What do you think?

Don
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think our chances are?

Originally Posted by DonCan
Greetings well-informed BE people!

I'd appreciate your input about our conundrum.

I'm a British passport holder, my fiancee is Austrian. Our toddler daughter has dual nationality. I'm 46 and she's 41.

We want to bring our child up under the sun with an outdoors lifestyle. We visited the Costa Del Sol in January and were taken with what we saw. We can envisage a good life there, having some friends and a few languages between us - but Spanish isn't one of them, but we can learn.

We are perplexed by the residency question as we are on shaky ground in terms of proving self-sufficiency. We have enough money to buy a decent property and can live for about a year on savings. Our job prospects seem bleak - our skills are just not in demand over there.

So my question is: if we were to buy a property are we likely to be granted residencia? If we were to rent and show money in the bank good for 5 years would that be considered good enough for residencia?

I've just started a new online-based business that is only going to be profitable in about a year's time. It will most likely still be under the €11k tax threshold in its second year. Would incorporating (SL) or going autonomo help our case?

What do you think?

Don
Residencia won't be the problem in your case (EU Citizens, Self Employed and enough cash). Can't comment on the business side and not in Spain full time these days (Only holiday home), but there's always a danger thinking Spain will offer that dream lifestyle for you and family. I was actually talking to my Spanish friend here in Ireland the other day and we were joking that estate agents will be busy again. Especially after a long winter, they will sell the dream to everyone. Not saying it won't work and maybe your business is very successful, but don't be fooled by a holiday in January.

Think about it:
Even people from the colder parts of Spain enjoy a holiday further South during winter, but the majority wouldn't consider a permanent move, even though language wouldn't be an issue for them. It's the same when people from Seattle visit Florida. Of course there are many non retired people who also make the move and are successful, but unless your business is really making money, what other options would you have? No social security, no other job prospects, as there are enough Spanish looking for work.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

paulbarny is an unknown quantity at this point

Some really useful info here thanks!.

I am also debating on Spain or France at the moment but like yourself, i'm thinking of a 2nd home rather than a permanent move. If I like it enough, then I can look to see what options I have after brexit several years down the line.

I currently make a living online and a permanent move is a possibility but want to keep all options on the table. When you are presented with many options it does become a problem!

Originally Posted by Moses2013

Think about it:
Even people from the colder parts of Spain enjoy a holiday further South during winter, but the majority wouldn't consider a permanent move, even though language wouldn't be an issue for them. It's the same when people from Seattle visit Florida. Of course there are many non retired people who also make the move and are successful, but unless your business is really making money, what other options would you have? No social security, no other job prospects, as there are enough Spanish looking for work.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulbarny
Some really useful info here thanks!.

I am also debating on Spain or France at the moment but like yourself, i'm thinking of a 2nd home rather than a permanent move. If I like it enough, then I can look to see what options I have after brexit several years down the line.

I currently make a living online and a permanent move is a possibility but want to keep all options on the table. When you are presented with many options it does become a problem!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary