Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do you think?

What do you think?

Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think?

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
I agree, It was more of a general question why are other's like that?
This is why i put my thought's etc on here just to see if other's have had they same and if so what are their thought's.

We are so ready for this and sometimes i do get scared and it is normal and other's know what and how i feel as they have been through it. x
I promise you it was no criticism, i have lived over there, and so did my mother and a few of my Kent based family and i have seen the ones who made it and the ones who didnt.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I promise you it was no criticism, i have lived over there, and so did my mother and a few of my Kent based family and i have seen the ones who made it and the ones who didnt.
Hi,
I did not take it like that i agree with everything you said.
Sometimes when people get on so much you doubt you are doing the right thing.
xx
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I did not take it like that i agree with everything you said.
Sometimes when people get on so much you doubt you are doing the right thing.
xx
You know that in a couple of years you will look back and wonder what the hell all the crap was about.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You know that in a couple of years you will look back and wonder what the hell all the crap was about.
I hope i will.
I also hope the family will come round 100% which i am sure in time they will.
xx
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:38 pm
Straw Man.

I hope i will.
I also hope the family will come round 100% which i am sure in time they will.
xx
They will come round the minute it dawns on them that they have a free holiday for life, as someone else has already said.

Just have faith and dont be afraid to fail, as the Indian proverb goes

"Its not dying we should fear, but never learning to live"
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:49 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

They are just worried about you because they love you. Be kind to them.. Eventually they'll see that you have made the right decision..
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Hi,
I had a long conversation with my sister today.
And she was feeding me the same stuff as the rest of our family's about moving to spain.

Why are you doing it.
How are we going to manage financially.
What about the children.
Oh you wont get on.
Loads of dodgy people in spain.
What's wrong with staying in the uk.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Then she ask's why have you decided to up stick's and give up the business etc etc etc.
To be honest i could not give her valid point's of why we want to go.
Apart from the obvious, less stress, better climate, more freedom, and as i informed her we will be worse of financially but we will be spending more time together (which to me is the most important thing)
She was horrified that we was going to leave a more financial better position and a comftable home. To live in a town house in a typical spanish area.

I think a lot of people perceive that when you say you are moving to spain you will be living on a huge villa with a swimming pool on the beach. (i wish ha ha ha )

I have told them that as long as we are happy does it matter that financially we will be worse off.
I have never asked any member of my family to ever help us out financially so what is there problem.

I have said many time's home is where the heart is regardless of where you live in the world.

But i just get strange looks and some massive moaning of going.

Then they make me laugh and moan how there life's are going and then that they wish they had the gut's to do something like this.

My reply to them is, i dont want to here you moan only you can change your life
Has anyone else had this from family's
Hi,

We are just back from Spain, its Paul here you have been chatting to Les about her granny who died just before Christmas, shes in work today but i am sure she will reply to your PM tonight. Your circumstances mirror ours somewhat I am winding up a succesful business and we are heading into the unknown as it were. We bought a rural property in Spain 18 months ago and have since restored a second on our land, plus bought a town house to modernise as a possible first route to an income. We have spent the last 3 weeks in Murcia with brilliant sunshine, the first week was very difficult with Les wanting to fly home, but by the third week not wanting to come home.
We will be downshifting to a slower pace of life, and take each day as it comes. We are both aware that the language and earning an income to be comfortable but not extravagant is a major factor. We are aware through our lengthy stays over the last 18 months that the first 12 months living there will be difficult.

On the whole the people are friendly and welcoming, with the exception of the younger crowd (not all) who display signs of resentment. Moving to Spain is a calculated risk if you are sensible, we have shared some of the culture over the last 18 months, and yes we have had frustrating times, but the good times outway them ten fold. Spain is moving so fast now, we live in a rural setting in pine clad mountains, yet we are 35 mins from Murcia city, with its 2 new massive retail parks, surpassing anything ive seen in the UK, a new international airport, and a new Euro disney in the pipe line and some of the best all year round weather in Spain.

I am sure that families come round to the idea eventually, with skype on your PC you can chat to a UK landline from your PC for peanuts, so no probs keeping up with things. I am sure most people are aware that they will experience a roller coaster ride of emotions and problems in Spain, but if you intergrate into local life, things will be a lot easier, we have learned more Spanish from our neighbour than any book. The Last 18 months has been a major learning curve for us, and sites like this are invaluable. The easiest way to get ahead in Spain is learn as much spanish as you can before you go. If you have SKY watch TVEi on channel 802 look out for Espania Directa after teatime and Gente after, have a dictionary ready and work on the subtitle headlines its great.

Best of Luck,

Paul and Les
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Hi,

We are just back from Spain, its Paul here you have been chatting to Les about her granny who died just before Christmas, shes in work today but i am sure she will reply to your PM tonight. Your circumstances mirror ours somewhat I am winding up a succesful business and we are heading into the unknown as it were. We bought a rural property in Spain 18 months ago and have since restored a second on our land, plus bought a town house to modernise as a possible first route to an income. We have spent the last 3 weeks in Murcia with brilliant sunshine, the first week was very difficult with Les wanting to fly home, but by the third week not wanting to come home.
We will be downshifting to a slower pace of life, and take each day as it comes. We are both aware that the language and earning an income to be comfortable but not extravagant is a major factor. We are aware through our lengthy stays over the last 18 months that the first 12 months living there will be difficult.

On the whole the people are friendly and welcoming, with the exception of the younger crowd (not all) who display signs of resentment. Moving to Spain is a calculated risk if you are sensible, we have shared some of the culture over the last 18 months, and yes we have had frustrating times, but the good times outway them ten fold. Spain is moving so fast now, we live in a rural setting in pine clad mountains, yet we are 35 mins from Murcia city, with its 2 new massive retail parks, surpassing anything ive seen in the UK, a new international airport, and a new Euro disney in the pipe line and some of the best all year round weather in Spain.

I am sure that families come round to the idea eventually, with skype on your PC you can chat to a UK landline from your PC for peanuts, so no probs keeping up with things. I am sure most people are aware that they will experience a roller coaster ride of emotions and problems in Spain, but if you intergrate into local life, things will be a lot easier, we have learned more Spanish from our neighbour than any book. The Last 18 months has been a major learning curve for us, and sites like this are invaluable. The easiest way to get ahead in Spain is learn as much spanish as you can before you go. If you have SKY watch TVEi on channel 802 look out for Espania Directa after teatime and Gente after, have a dictionary ready and work on the subtitle headlines its great.

Best of Luck,

Paul and Les
Hi,
I am glad thing's are working out for you and les.
I think with our family's it is a case of them worrying about the children and if thing's go wrong.
And also years back financially we got in to trouble since then hubby started his own business and we have a very good income in the uk.
And they know our business in now winding down and are struggling to come to term's with why we want to lose this.
I can understand the way they feel with the children and worrying.
But like we say we want to do this and we will give it 100% of making the girls and our lives comftable.
Say hi to les for me.
Take care xx
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I am glad thing's are working out for you and les.
I think with our family's it is a case of them worrying about the children and if thing's go wrong.
And also years back financially we got in to trouble since then hubby started his own business and we have a very good income in the uk.
And they know our business in now winding down and are struggling to come to term's with why we want to lose this.
I can understand the way they feel with the children and worrying.
But like we say we want to do this and we will give it 100% of making the girls and our lives comftable.
Say hi to les for me.
Take care xx

The thing is, if you don't do it now, you will always wonder if you should have. We have no concerns, and really had none about coming out, just a big step, but all family knew and no-one made any objections, and, yes they have been out, first lot 2 months after we arrived, and then were surprised when we didn't know where all the outlet shops were as they specifically wanted a Steven Gerrard Liverpool strip, IN SPAIN!!!!!:scared: Wife's son and family have been out twice, and are already booked for later this year. They actually stay in apartments we find through our contacts here as we have only a 2 bed place, much easier to find that sort of accomodation out here as you can find places not available on line etc. Only people I've known who have gone home are those who came out, knowing NO Spanish, expecting to get a job straight away and had no money to keep themselves till they did.