Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do I do with Nispro fruit

What do I do with Nispro fruit

Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I do with Nispro fruit

Hi can anyone advise me what I can make with the fruit from my Nispro tree. I have seen Nispro liquor, but wondered if there is anything else which can be made from it. If so, does anyone have any recipies.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:14 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do I do with Nispro fruit

Hi Polly.walker and welcome to BE.

I have just tried to google nispro to find out what it is but couldnt find anything, can you let me know what it is?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Nispero are Loquats. they can make jam, booze or can be eaten as fruit - I think they're wonderful.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I can only think that you mean the Sapodilla tree, a Magnolia native to Mexico and called a Nispero in South America.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Nispero are Loquats. they can make jam, booze or can be eaten as fruit - I think they're wonderful.
HERE, they are yummy, you have to get them quick cos the birds love them.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
HERE, they are yummy, you have to get them quick cos the birds love them.
Wow, they are really hard to grow normally, didn't expect it to be Loquats.

Don't under any circumstances eat the seeds.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Wow, they are really hard to grow normally, didn't expect it to be Loquats.

Don't under any circumstances eat the seeds.
We ate the fruit and planted about 6 of the stones last year, this is the only survivor and now looks the worst for wear.
Attached Thumbnails What do I do with Nispro fruit-13-03-08_1737.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:47 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
We ate the fruit and planted about 6 of the stones last year, this is the only survivor and now looks the worst for wear.
I have heard you can make beer from the fruits.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have heard you can make beer from the fruits.
I`ve seen a few birds flying loop the loop after eating the rotting fruit. lol
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:53 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
I`ve seen a few birds flying loop the loop after eating the rotting fruit. lol
Get yerself a beer making kit and start brewing.

My uncle who lived in Spain for years brewed his own stuff all the while out there.................but never tried Loquats
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

I think the trees are quite hardy. I planted stones here in UK, from fruit I ate in Spain. I have two lovely trees in tubs and they live on the patio quite happily. They do not seem to be deciduous as there are always leaves on them.

In Spain, I found a small tree which someone discarded at the nearby basura, brought it into our garden and planted it. After a shaky first year year or so it has finally got he idea and is developing into a nice healthy tree.

Looking forward to some fruit next year.....

The fruit are rather like apricots but much tastier!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Hi can anyone advise me what I can make with the fruit from my Nispro tree. I have seen Nispro liquor, but wondered if there is anything else which can be made from it. If so, does anyone have any recipies.
Hello polly.walker

nispero

roasted

tinned

cake with jam

stuffed

skewer with angler fish

All are recipes made with "nisperos"
regards,
marisol
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

i use ours to make nispero crumble. i also peel and halve them, then freeze them in a tub with orange juice. That way, you can have them throughout the year, instead of trying to eat them all in the 2 weeks before the birds get them!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by marisol
Hello polly.walker

nispero

roasted

tinned

cake with jam

stuffed

skewer with angler fish

All are recipes made with "nisperos"
regards,
marisol
You are just showing off with your links now....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

people round here net the trees in early Feb each year so that they can get the fruit before the birds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.