Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to do about house?

What to do about house?

Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

thestens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to do about house?

Thanks again for help! Sorry to sound thick - again, but what is a gestor? Secondly, exactly which taxes, as non resident, should she have been paying? I know about the local tax, I think, but what are the others? What is a wealth tax based on? She has about 2000 euros in a Spanish bank account which are used to pay standing orders and apart from the house no other Spanish assets.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:24 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thestens
Thanks again for help! Sorry to sound thick - again, but what is a gestor? Secondly, exactly which taxes, as non resident, should she have been paying? I know about the local tax, I think, but what are the others? What is a wealth tax based on? She has about 2000 euros in a Spanish bank account which are used to pay standing orders and apart from the house no other Spanish assets.
A gestor is a local paperwork Mr fixit - does a whole range of low-level accounting and legal jobs. Ask someone in the area for a bilingual gestor, best if you can get a recommendation, if you post the name of the town someone here may be able to give you a recommendation.

Taxes

IBI - Council Tax
Renta - imputed income tax on letting the property (even when not let) - based upon catastral value. Either 2% or 1.1% (depends if catastral value has been revised) of Catastral value, X 24% income tax
Patrimonio - wealth tax on Escritura value of proerty and money in bank accounts (again, now zero-rated, but only for lastp couple of years) - 0.2% of the value of assets.

Going back 10 years on all of these (with changing catastral values each year etc) will be a major headache - unless your vacation is for 2+ months I doubt very much you will get it sorted when you are over, paying a gestor300-400 euros will be money well spent.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

thestens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm! More complicated than I thought. The gestor sounds like a good idea. Can anyone recommend a bilingual one around the Los Alcazares / San Javier area (Costa Calida / Mar Menor)? Can I presume that he / she will deal with the whole tax thing without us needing to visit town hall ,etc? Any idea on paperwork they'll need so we can ensure we take it with us? Thanks again - I'm certainly picking up loads of info here!!