Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What did you do with......

What did you do with......

Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What did you do with......

we are moving over in three weeks. Looked at buying all new furniture etc in spain but in the end bought 2 new leather sofas in Uk, beds and dining room furniture.We decided as our son wanted to bring all his possesions as well we might as well use a removal company so we budgeted for it in our figures, worked out at £3500, they do all the packing then we are fully insured. Did manage to down size though using car boot sales, auctions and ebay.

Sue
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

debi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom
we are moving over in three weeks. Looked at buying all new furniture etc in spain but in the end bought 2 new leather sofas in Uk, beds and dining room furniture.We decided as our son wanted to bring all his possesions as well we might as well use a removal company so we budgeted for it in our figures, worked out at £3500, they do all the packing then we are fully insured. Did manage to down size though using car boot sales, auctions and ebay.

Sue
could anybody tell us what would be better....... sell our car over ere in uk and buy a second hand one out there or would we better taking ours with us? i,ve heard it can be quite expensive registering a car from uk out there?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Please don't do as one twerp around here did. He moved here and had his stuff come down on a big lorry and put into storage whilst he looked for a house. His stuff was in storage for the best part of a year. I went to help him shift it and was stunned by the stuff that he and his wife had brought over. There was a cheap plastic broom, a mop and bucket (normal Poundstretcher stuff) and lots of nonsense knick-knacks. Now I understand the sofa and chest of drawers etc (although I wouldn't have done it) but the stuff that you can get anywhere I couldn't believe. He said that they weren't sure if they could get those types of brooms and mops here!!!! But best of all was a microwave dating back to the very early 80s. We picked up between the two of us - shows how old it was as it weighed a ton - and some liquid trickled out. Inside was a cup of coffee that they hadn't taken out when they left England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He now admits that maybe they should have sold their stuff and bought new here.
Do I know you?

We left some stuff in the UK house which we kept on, but shipped masses of stuff out, some of which had to go into storage for a while, since there was no room in the first house. I'm sure that one of the things that came over was a box of rubbish that has got picked up by the removals guys rather than being thrown out. We go through phases of whittling it down, but there's still stacks of stuff we've not had out of the boxes in years.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:23 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
All your worldy possessions in the UK when you moved to Spain please? I am unsure what to do with it all. I think we want to rent furnished in Spain and sell the house in UK so what to do with the 20 years of accumulated stuff here.

Anyone used them house clearance people before?
We moved last year and decided to pack up our personal possessions and our hobbies and sell the rest. So a season of car booting and trips to the charity shops dwindled our goods down to the equilalent of a Luton van. The cost of moving it here was 1/2 to 3/4 covered by the items that we had sold, so a good strategy we thought. With hindsight we realise that we should have bought additional novels to read but that is the only thing that we think we missed out on.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debi
could anybody tell us what would be better....... sell our car over ere in uk and buy a second hand one out there or would we better taking ours with us? i,ve heard it can be quite expensive registering a car from uk out there?
We were in the same situation as you....got advised to sell our English one and buy a left hand drive out here.

We are so glad we did it!! Altho second hand cars out here aren't so cheap but you are right re-registering isn't cheap either...

Plus I don't think I would feel safe driving a right hand drive and the opposite side of the road !!! Oh and the tolls would be a hassle if you were driving on your own too

If you can get a good price for you car in the UK I'd sell it....
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
All your worldy possessions in the UK when you moved to Spain please? I am unsure what to do with it all. I think we want to rent furnished in Spain and sell the house in UK so what to do with the 20 years of accumulated stuff here.

Anyone used them house clearance people before?
No sorry I haven't.....

We were sooo silly GAVE away loads. Brought quite a few things with us but stupidly thought we would get new this and that when we got to Spain !!

Ran out of cash quickly and gutted as didn't replace all the stuff we gave away....like food processor and other kitchen bits and bobs.

Gutted all my books went.....LOADS and LOADS...but far too many and HEAVY too...

Glad we kept our leather sofas...!!

Good luxk
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well we did both.

The UK car we re registered here and that cost us 1130 euros, mainly because it is an unusual car and needed some adjustments. Also, I got caught for import tax as I had registered on the padron over 30 days before for reasons too complicated to go in to. It should have cost about 600 euros using a gestoria.

We bought a second hand spanish car from a garage here, and the rgistration charges on that car through his gestoria were about 580 euros. Fortunately I got him to include this in the cost of the car (after we had agreed the price).

I have absolutely no problem driving a right hand drive car over here at all. I just stretch over for the tolls, but having said that once I got here I didn't use the tolls that much.

I would say that if it is a relatively new car, and you have owned it for more than 6 months, then its worth bringing it. But bear in mind when you sell it eventually you will probably need to part exchange as its unlikely you will sell it privately.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well we did both.

The UK car we re registered here and that cost us 1130 euros, mainly because it is an unusual car and needed some adjustments. Also, I got caught for import tax as I had registered on the padron over 30 days before for reasons too complicated to go in to. It should have cost about 600 euros using a gestoria.

We bought a second hand spanish car from a garage here, and the rgistration charges on that car through his gestoria were about 580 euros. Fortunately I got him to include this in the cost of the car (after we had agreed the price).

I have absolutely no problem driving a right hand drive car over here at all. I just stretch over for the tolls, but having said that once I got here I didn't use the tolls that much.

I would say that if it is a relatively new car, and you have owned it for more than 6 months, then its worth bringing it. But bear in mind when you sell it eventually you will probably need to part exchange as its unlikely you will sell it privately.
by the time we get over there it will be just over 7 year old, its a 7 seater vauxhall zafira so if we were to sell it ere we,d hopefully want to get something similar over there. it,s in perfect cond. just passed ANOTHER mot!! my husband has no problem driving over there with it cos he,s done a lot of driving in spain in the past with work. oh decisions decisions!!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

by the time we get over there it will be just over 7 year old, its a 7 seater vauxhall zafira so if we were to sell it ere we,d hopefully want to get something similar over there. it,s in perfect cond. just passed ANOTHER mot!! my husband has no problem driving over there with it cos he,s done a lot of driving in spain in the past with work. oh decisions decisions!!
If its 7 years old and you've no particular attachment to it, then sell it there and buy a new one here.
Bear in mind that to register a car here you normally have to be registered on the padron at the town hall and you will need an NIE.
Cars in general are more expensive here than in the UK, but road tax is less and of course petrol is cheaper. Diesel is the best buy as its around 89 cents a litre
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

we would be registering on the padron straight away! the first of many things to do when we get there as we also have children to get into schools and jobs to find! thanks to u both for ure replies!